PDA

View Full Version : A Cold Drink WIP C&C please

gibbs
01-08-2008, 12:50 AM
I am trying to do a series of water paintings. I still have a lot of work to do on this painting. What I was wondering is if this actually looks like a girl drinking from a hose. My daughter thought it looked like she was throwing up, so I figured I had better get some more opinions before I put too much more time in it. Also, I was wondering if the wisps of hair I have masked out are too distracting. Leave them in or not? I still need to continue darkening the shadows, fix that purple shadow under the hand, and do some more work on her hair. I had trouble uploading to this post, so I had to attach the photo. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

hpthecat
01-08-2008, 02:32 AM
Aren'd daughters awful! (hysterical laughter). (I've got one, I know, they are just sooo coool with all their youth)

She does not look like she is throwing up! I knew it was water right away. It's the hose!, something about the hose lacks deatail...I like the hair wisp, I knew what that was supposed to be right off the bat too--maybe just use a small brush to sweep in some "blondies."

Yorky
01-08-2008, 03:51 AM
Lovely concept, I would lose the white whisps, they do distract.

Doug

Brian Barnes
01-08-2008, 04:22 AM
Cute picture! :thumbsup:

Personally I would re-mask a few short bits of the hair strands and then apply a dark transparent wash over the area next to her head as shown in this PS manip......

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jan-2008/33172-drink-sugg.jpg

I like the sunny hair strands but they look a bit too thick and heavy. This might be a good compromise. :)

BrianB

painterbear
01-08-2008, 05:32 AM
Hi Lora,

I saw this as a young girl drinking out of the hose as soon as the picture came on the screen. No problem with that. Your water looks bubbly and tasty against that wonderful background.

I agree with Maryann that perhaps make the part of the hose near her mouth a little more detailed.

I like the wispy bits of hair but not white as they are now. Brian's suggestion seems like a good compromise.

Sylvia

gibbs
01-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Thanks! I won't give up...I like what you did, Brian, with the wispy hair. Maybe I'll add a little color to them... then on to finish the hose and the rest. Lora

RTi
01-08-2008, 02:54 PM
I like your imagination in this water series. I would do the above suggestions and possibly add some blue in the water coming out of the hose, in the middle of the stream. I noticed in the 2007 Gallery your w/c of a man drinking from a glass, excellent! Keep on it!

RTi
01-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Oh Lora, hit Post Reply instead of Post Quick Reply, I think that's the difference in uploading!

gibbs
01-08-2008, 04:24 PM
Here's the almost finished painting. I did add some blue to the water but it's not showing up on the photo. I'm still having trouble uploading to this post so I'll have to attach the picture. Thanks for all your advice.

olliewood0702
01-08-2008, 04:29 PM
I too saw this girl drinking from a hose! This is lovely and I like your updated pic!

Brian Barnes
01-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Looks great! Changes worked well! :thumbsup:

Uploaded it for you.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jan-2008/33172-drink.jpg

BrianB

painterbear
01-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Lora,
This is lovely. I like your revisions. When you are satisfied that it is finished, be sure to put it in a new thread in the Gallery. You can add a link to this WIP if you want so people can see it as well.

Sylvia

JudiPatooti
01-08-2008, 09:03 PM
This is lovely. Your choice of colors is great. I'm not sure if this is anything or not, but I feel like if there were a few strands of hair that were that backlit, there would be a few more highlights in the hair at the front/top of her head, too. Its probably just me, though.

Judi

gibbs
01-08-2008, 10:40 PM
I thought about the highlights, too. I left them out because I was afraid that too many shapes in the hair would draw the attention there instead of to the focal point. Do you think I could get away with just a few highlights lifted without it being too distracting?

hpthecat
01-09-2008, 01:51 AM
I approve the hose! Subtle changes, but for me it made a difference. For what it is worth (2 cents), I think if you cut a thin stencil to lift out a couple of highlights that would work fine...still looking for a little tiny bit of yellow for the strands, but I know it probably would'nt show in a posting...

juneto
01-09-2008, 04:18 AM
:wave: It's TERRIFIC ! Leave it alone Now .
June:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :)