PDA

View Full Version : Okay, okay, I'll post!

needtopaint
01-07-2008, 01:46 PM
Hello fellow dusty-lovers! That site message at the top of my page keeps fussing at me to post. So, for the sake of peacefulness, here's some new work (I hope). The crops are not quite right because I kept getting that "photo-curving thing." Won't know about the colors until I see them - here's hoping. By the way, there is never a day I miss coming to the soft pastel's forum. Everyone inspires me over and over again. Happy New Year to all.

Christine

P.S. It worked - the message is gone. How long do have before it returns?!

WC Lee
01-07-2008, 01:50 PM
oh wow, these are beautiful :) great style and technique

Deborah Secor
01-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Wish I knew what message you meant... but I'm sure glad it nagged you into posting! These are just the kind of portraits I'd like to do. Love the gestures, the loose, expressive quality, the palette you've used--just all of it! I particularly like Jake and Mike... I need to learn how to paint men better. Mine often look too soft.

What paper are you generally using here? Do you use mostly soft, soft pastels?

All I can say is, wow! More...I look forward to more!

Deborah

CindyW
01-07-2008, 03:03 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Bravo to all 5! These are splendid!!
Thanks for sharing!! I find this set of portraiture so very inspiring.

Cindy

PS...the message saying one hasn't posted in a long time, don't you want to post to let your fellow WCers know what you've been up to? I think it comes up after a couple weeks of not posting.

DAK723
01-07-2008, 03:05 PM
All of these are excellent! I, too, like the looser technique.

Don

Diana_pastels
01-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Christine, I'm so glad you posted. All of these are lovely. I love your style. Please share more.
Diana

cal studio
01-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Your style is awesome- And the colors - WOW!!!
Love them all. How do you find your models? Do you paint them from life??

Cathleen

maw-t
01-07-2008, 03:41 PM
OKAY OKAY this is how I want to paint when I grow up! Love these.. movement, emotion, painterly. If only I could get my pastels to mind me! How about a demo?? Perhaps we could somehow put that question to you in a message at the top of page :))
Bookmarking this!

needtopaint
01-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Wow, what wonderful encouragement! I should have posted sooner. My pastels are a mix of Rembrandts, Unisons, a few Mount Visions, and some very old Grumbachers. I have some Schminke's, but boy are they super soft. I haven't figured them out yet. Seems like they'd be nice for the last hightlights, but I haven't gotten that brave yet. The Ludwigs dark set will be my next birthday wish. The first drawing is on Canson in an attempt to loosen back up and stop worrying about wasting an expensive piece of paper. The cost messes with my mind a bit. The second one and the third face are on Wallis. I sure love Wallis but it is pricey and I can't get it here in Kentucky. The menfolk are on the Art Spectrum, which is readily available here.
These are all loosely based on photographs I've taken. Right now I think live models would scare me to death. I definitely think that is the best way to go, but I'm lacking the bravery, the willing people and/or the money to pay them. I'm just going to enjoy figuring out the medium and see what happens. I've thought about using a mirror of myself to get a feel for a live model. My lovely daughter has modelled repeatedly for me and I'd recommend her to the professionals. She's my very favorite - fills her expressions with emotion. I love that! The men are my cousin Jake and my Uncle Mike. The eye is my own and the other two drawings are my daughter.
Thank you all for your encouragement. I am amazed.

Christine

Doodlebug1967
01-07-2008, 04:13 PM
Christine - you definitely have a gift and need not worry about wasting good paper. Your grasp of pastels is far better than you realize. I have truly enjoyed soaking in these paintings and look foward to future posts by you.

Ronda

water girl
01-07-2008, 04:30 PM
This is fabulous work!!! Thank you for posting. Your palette and your strokes are lively and provide added interest. :thumbsup:

Merethe T
01-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Refreshing style, lively and interesting poses - very pleasing work! I'm glad you decided to post! Keep it up..... :)

Merethe

Colorix
01-07-2008, 05:19 PM
They are wonderful! Thank you for showing them.

K Taylor-Green
01-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Christine, these are FABULOUS!! Keep posting!

Tracer
01-07-2008, 05:45 PM
Wonderful paintings Christine! I love the emotion portrayed here and the colors are incredible. Just amazing work here!!!

Donna T
01-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Oh my gosh, these are amazing! Portraits with character and personality, can't wait to see more!

Donna

Gail V
01-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Great style and expression!!!! I hate to sound repetitive here, but I love your portraits!!!!

Dougwas
01-07-2008, 07:06 PM
I can only dream of painting something like these. These are fantastic paintings Christine. I love your style and colours. Can't wait to see more.

Keep painting.

Doug

PeggyB
01-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Beautiful work Christine. I especially like the first one - very loose and expressive. Your daughter is indeed lovely.

Hey! go for that self portrait/mirror idea. There is a challenge going on right now over on the pastel Talk page that is for those who want to do self portraits. You may have fun doing it - and there's no time limit.

Peggy

fiannah
01-07-2008, 09:00 PM
Wow these are really great, thanks for sharing! :) :clap:

Orchidacea
01-07-2008, 10:28 PM
these are so wonderfully expressive! marvelous work!

BetsyPriesing
01-07-2008, 11:54 PM
Oh i agree gorgeous line work!!! Do More!

Paula Ford
01-08-2008, 05:30 AM
LOVE your style! Fabulous work!!

Paula

PaulaT
01-08-2008, 06:55 AM
These are great pieces, I am glad you posted

AliciaS
01-09-2008, 09:44 AM
Wonderful Expressive strokes!! Beautifully done! Would love to see your work regularly here!!!

purpleheather
01-09-2008, 03:55 PM
Very talented work! Very painterly.
Bundled Hannah is exquisite.

blessings
Anne

Desiree
01-10-2008, 06:56 AM
Very, very impressive. I have to join in with the others in saying that I just love these. Your style is so loose and painterly. I love your colors and compostions. I can't wait to see more.

needtopaint
01-11-2008, 09:00 AM
I wanted to thank everyone again for the many words of encouragement. Today is the first day of the new year I get to draw - starting anew. Maybe I'll set up a mirror for the self-portrait challenge that PeggyB pointed out in Pastel Talk. There's something frightening about that! But as Eleanor Roosevelt said, "Do one thing every day that scares you." Thanks to all.

Christine

Christine

terence p
01-11-2008, 11:37 PM
I absolutley love these. I love how you were able to use the soft pastel and allow each color to show through. I dont know how you do it with them. especially the unison. Although I dont intentionally blend, they do appear so when I use the soft pastels.
I live about only about 60 miles from NYC yet our local art stores do not have Wallis either. I order it from the stores online, like ASW. And while it may seem more expensive, you actually can be very free, even freer than if you used the Canson paper. It is so strong, if you totally ruin your painting, you can just wash the work off. It will be stained but the pigment is gone, and you can start over. When I find the stain distracting, I just take a pastel stick of any color and rub it in to cover it up.