PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble Jan 7 Thru 13

K Taylor-Green
01-07-2008, 10:07 AM
Morning everyone! Welcome to the Scumble, our weekly chat thread where we share the happenings of our everyday lives.

The weirdest thing happened last night and I can't help but wander how many other puppy breeders, as well as sellers of other merchandise who keep a website, have had this happen. I know we all get emails that are scammers out to steal our money, but last night I got two phone calls! It was after 10 PM! They were using something called IP Relay where they were using their computer to make the call. I was instructed by an operator on how to respond, never having heard of this let alone used it! I was put off by the feel of the call and by the fact that the caller wanted information that was right on the website to get.
The way she talked about the puppy as though it was so impersonal.......I don't know, it is hard to explain that part, just an uneasiness. I terminated the call rather abruptly. The second one came a little after 11 PM. Come on people! No one calls that late to talk about buying a puppy! Thank God for caller ID. That one I didn't answer. It was just an unsettling experience. I felt as though my home had been invaded! Maybe an extreme reaction, but it is how I felt. From now on, they stay on the other side of my caller ID.

We have a couple new things going on to kick off 2008. The Pastel Retrospective is up and going well! Show off that best painting of 2007, or just the one you learned the most from. The Pastel Strokes is going again. The first project of the year is being held by yours, truly, and it isn't an animal!!! :D My grandson, Ethan, is the model. So join in and have fun!

Deborah Secor
01-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Weird, Kate. We get calls from a computer (I don't talk to computers) saying "If you are [so-and-so] listen to this message, if not hang up." I just hang up, but the calls are coming more frequently now and sometimes repeatedly in one day. They even come in Spanish, and they're always for someone we don't know. I hate receiving calls late at night! I guess my old brain has decided that if it's past 10 it better be family or an emergency. 'Course, se do get those emergency calls...but my heart beats faster no matter what.

I downloaded the photo of Ethan and noodled round with pastel pencils on top of it, just to see the shapes and colors well. I can't go into the studio yet. Too much writing to do! He's adorable and I like the shot, too... Maybe later.

Deborah

Diana_pastels
01-07-2008, 12:04 PM
I haven't gotten the computer calls that you mentioned, Kate. But I constantly get faxes late at night. And I've been getting on a regular basis the scam faxes. You know, the "I'm the executor of the estate of some wealthy political or royal person in South Africa and you have been named in the will to receive a kajillion dollars if you would just give me your bank account info"......

Well, I painted this weekend for the first time in almost 2 months. It felt great. And I signed up for a workshop with Margot Schulzke which starts next week. I am hoping I will learn alot from her regarding composition.

Hope you all have a great week.
Diana

PeggyB
01-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Kate those "phone callls" sound really irritating, and you are fortunate to have caller ID. Living in the Pacific Time Zone, we don't get many "junk calls" that late at night, but I am sometimes awaken before 8 AM - or maybe disturbed is a better word since I'm usually awake about 7.

Deborah, someone once told me that if you don't hang up the phone until the "beep-beep" starts you can tie up their line for that amount of time. Of course you can not hang up for as long as you want and it does the same thing, but that "beep-beep" is annoying! I just lay the phone down where ever and continue with whatever I was doing. I figure I can maybe keep someone else from being annoyed for a few minutes more - LOL Now if some one of you know differently with our present phone lines, I'm going to be really dissappointed!

More than the computer generated calls though are the human calls that don't respect our number being on the do not call list, and then I'm sure we are going to be inundated with political calls from now til the election - those are the most annoying of all! they are never very happy with me because I always tell them I'm an Independent, and won't tell them my opinion not matter what the questions may be, and then when they hang up, I leave the phone off line until the "beep-beep" :evil:

Diane you are going to have a wonderful time in Margot's workshop. There is a WC member we've not heard from in awhile who has taken many of her classes and always gave glowing reports about what she learned. As I recall, composition was one of the lessons she learned a whole lot in.

Speaking of workshops, I'm going to Donna Aldridge's workshop in March on using Pan Pastels. An Artists' Angel is providing a place to stay, and my dear husband said he'd use some of his thousands of frequent flyer miles for my air fare. I can hardly wait both to see Donna, and learn directly from her.

Peggy

Paula Ford
01-07-2008, 03:07 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DAVID PATTERSON!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR DUSTY FRIEND!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!

Paula

David Patterson
01-07-2008, 03:11 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DAVID PATTERSON!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR DUSTY FRIEND!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!

Paula

Thank you Paula...you sing just as bad here too!:lol:

David

K Taylor-Green
01-07-2008, 03:21 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DAVID!! MANY MANY MORE TO COME!:clap:

David Patterson
01-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Thank you Katherine! I'm not really getting any older...I'm just gathering a little more dust!:D

bluefish
01-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Happy Birthday Good Buddy

Hope you get a new 'orange' shirt and some 'blue' socks!:lol: If not, a bunch of the 'new fad' Pan Pastels!:D

Have a great birthday! 'blue....':wave:

PeggyB
01-07-2008, 05:36 PM
:music: Happy b'day David :music:

amazing how Paula knows these things!:)

Peggy

David Patterson
01-07-2008, 08:48 PM
:music: Happy b'day David :music:

amazing how Paula knows these things!:)

Peggy

Thank you Peggy...I know, you'd think Paula and I were good buddies or something!:rolleyes::)

Thanks fish person...nope, no orange or blue items this birthday!

Paula Ford
01-07-2008, 09:29 PM
:cat:

bnoonan
01-07-2008, 11:07 PM
David - that's why they invented Pan Pastels... so they can be applied to the wrinkles... not that you have any of course.... Happy Birthday.

So.. Is anyone interested in taking a week-long workshop with Bob Gerbracht? He is offering a workshop in February for a week in San Jose, CA at University Art and if you can afford the time and money, I find his sessions extremely helpful. I studied with him 2 nights a week for 4 years and attended his workshops. He's specifically focusing on the portrait and figure.

Anyway... I have details and I'll post them after anyone expresses interest.

His web site doesn't have the information but it's the week of Feb 25th

Just thought I'd pass it along.

As for news... not much to report. It's raining a lot in the Pacific Northwest and I've been less than creative.... B

CJMonty
01-08-2008, 12:17 AM
Just checking in to say Hi :thumbsup::clap: to Everyone here. Just back from Hyperbaric Treatment and am going to go and have a Nana Nap.:p

We just had our Spa delivered so hopefully in the next few days we should have it up and running.Kate, it's the Telemarketers that irritate me phoning up at meal times.

Happy Birthday David.

Take Care Everyone
Love Carolynn :):):heart::heart::heart:

David Patterson
01-08-2008, 12:45 AM
Thanks for the birthday wishes Barb & Carolynn! Almost over!:D

meowmeow
01-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Happy Birthday David! May your year be filled with wonderful dust!!!!

All those workshops sound wonderful! I expect to see reports from everyone!

The weather here has been weird, just like all over. Bitter cold, ice everywhere, and now it is all melting and making a mess. But I am glad to be able to walk on pavement again.

I'll be leaving Maine again this morning to go down and see the baby and stay an extra night so we can have supper with my dad. We usually try to do it all in one visit but it's too much. Besides, I have some things I can do down there as well. Sydney is now just over 3 pounds! Hooray. Still on the vent though...very frustrating but she is doing better. She was off for 12 hours a week or so again and they will try again next week. It just means she will have more respiratory problems later for longer. Here is her blog, which my son just updated. There are some new photos there as well.
http://sydkatz.blogspot.com/

I am planning on taking the painting down to them when I go. I stuck it in a little frame but I think I will have to redo it. It isn't working as nicely as I thought...that's what happens when you try to rush something. But as long as I was going I wanted to bring it to them.

I hope everyone enjoys the week and stays healthy!

Sandy

Merriel
01-08-2008, 05:29 PM
Hey, Happy Birthday David.

merriel

bnoonan
01-08-2008, 09:32 PM
Sandy - she's cute and small - but lovable! Safe travels. Barb

scall0way
01-10-2008, 03:51 PM
Happy Birthday Dave, and enjoy your visit with that tiny granddaughter Sandy. After the drama of my Christmas holidays the new year has been pretty peaceful so far. The knee I injured on the ice seems to be slowly healing and is almost back to normal. Soon I'll be able to toss away the cane and walk normally!

Art classes started up again this week, though my dear teacher Alex is still out ill, so we have a substitute teacher until Alex is better. We had a nude model last night who is seven months pregnant. Quite interesting shapes really. :D I'll have to post the picture I did in the SPS when I finally get it uploaded from my camera.

Dot Hoffman
01-11-2008, 10:37 AM
Baby Sydney is so sweet, and it's good to hear she is gaining so well.
David, as you know, birthday greetings as you get dustier and dustier.
I worked yesterday for a while on a rather large sunset painting with dark foreground, talk about dust :lol:

And, good news, this morning I received an email telling me my Fiery Clouds painting (the one that won first place in a juried gallery show in early December) also was awarded the people's choice award. Tomorrow we go to pick up the paintings and awards. This will be a bit of challenge, as the main east/west interstate is now closed for reconstruction, so getting there will take some zigging and zagging on clogged streets. Oh well.........

David Patterson
01-11-2008, 03:40 PM
Way to go Dot!

nana b
01-11-2008, 07:06 PM
What? David's birthday? David, you had a birthday and I wouldn't have even known it if I hadn't pulled up the Weekly Scumble by accident and started reading! I hope you had a great birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wave:

nana

Diana_pastels
01-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Happy Birthday David. How old are you - 29?

Congratulations Dot:clap:

Diana

David Patterson
01-11-2008, 09:28 PM
Thank you Phyllis, Diana, Sandy, Debbie, and Merriel.

David

chewie
01-11-2008, 10:56 PM
cute baby and david is celebrating, good!!!

for us, we're still going in circles over getting the house built, tons of headaches. hubby's new job is ok, and i'm doing fine with all the new stuff i gotta do since he's gone during the day--feeding bulls, checking heifers, tanks, mineral...blah blah blah!

had a couple horses to the vet, and our blazer fixed, now we're broke! yikes! my young filly stuck her leg where she shouldn't have, and i thought it was broke--whew, nope! then the vet goes on and on about how great she'll be, as he owns several close relatives of hers! the other horse had bad teeth and wore a hole in his tongue! poor baby! they drugged him, and used a reg. drill with an attachment to fix him, called 'floating the teeth' hunks of tooth were flying, eww!

haven't spent time in the studio this week and not happy over it either. did 2 last week tho.!

as for those pesky calls, sometimes i do have some fun--let them go thru the whole speil, then say 'what?' ooh, they hate that! for credit cards, say 'oh goodie, we dont' got no jobs or nuthin, and we all needin some money!' they will hang up on YOU~! hehehe!

Deborah Secor
01-12-2008, 12:13 AM
Happy birthday, David! Late, I guess, but best wishes all the same! :wave:

Hey, Dot, that's great news! People's Choice is fun to win--like icing on the cake for you, too. Wending the way through the city will be a challenge, I suspect. Freeways are so direct--often clogged, but they do take the straight way!

Sandy, glad to hear that Sydney is doing so well and to see her darling little face!! :heart:

Debbie, glad to hear the knee is improving. Take care...no more excitement needed, okay? :lol:

Wow, Chris, I've never heard of floating a horse's teeth with a drill before, but whatever works, I guess! My vet had a rasp the size of Wyoming he used to use. Nasty sound! It made me want to run off as soon as he brought it out, except my mare would balk so I had to stay.

I started classes yesterday. Fun to get back with my gang of gals! It took us a full hour of gabbing, while painting at the easels, before we all settled into that companionable silence of mutual concentration. I finally had to suggest everyone shake things out and walk around to look at the work, starting us all jabbering again. They're a talented bunch, trust me.

Here's my painting--nothing fantastic so I won't show it in the forum. I see a boo-boo, too, but oh well...just a demo and so easily fixed next time I'm in the studio.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jan-2008/23609-DSCN7656.JPG

Deborah

Shirl Parker
01-12-2008, 01:25 PM
If you haven't signed up at the "Do Not Call Registry", do it now, land lines and cell phones.

https://www.donotcall.gov/register/reg.aspx

Another tip, which I have done for years, is ask the phone company not to publish your address, just city, if you want to be in the phone book. That way at least you know they won't come over.

Shirl

nana b
01-12-2008, 01:29 PM
Where's the boo-boo Deborah? It looks great to me!

nana

nana b
01-12-2008, 01:31 PM
Dot, congratulations again! Way to go!

nana

Deborah Secor
01-12-2008, 04:40 PM
I used a darker blue to push away the pinky mesas and one corner of the blue slipped over the yellow-orange mesa there...hard to see at this size. No biggie...

Deborah

Pat Isaac
01-13-2008, 11:58 AM
Just checked in here and a belated Happy Birthday, Dave....
Glad your knee is better, Debbie and have fun at your classes.
Congrats on the awards, Dot. Always a nice feeling.
How nice to see your little grandbaby progressing, Sandy.
I don't see any problem with the demo either, Deborah. Sounds as if you "gals" has a good time getting back to class.
Expecting snow all day tomorrow, so I won't be getting to my studio.:(

Pat