PDA

View Full Version : seven shades of gold

Orchidacea
01-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Finally finished another one--time is getting tight! I think I'd better take on some simpler ones now.

This is 15 x 10 inches, assorted softies on Wallis Museum.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jan-2008/41088-three_shades_of_gold_600px.jpg

Pat Isaac
01-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Wonderful, Kim. I really like your limited palette and the continuity of the pieces.

Pat

David Patterson
01-06-2008, 07:19 PM
Beautifully done!!

M Douglas
01-06-2008, 07:26 PM
Stunningly beautiful.

Melodie

mrking
01-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Very nice. I could see this one taking a long time to do. :D

Great glass.

John B
01-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Very well done, a beautiful painting in deed.

John

Mike_Beeman
01-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Love your choice of colors...wow! Mike
Beautifully done!!

Diana_pastels
01-06-2008, 08:15 PM
Beautiful!!:thumbsup:
Diana

Dougwas
01-06-2008, 08:15 PM
WOW. Great painting. I just have one question. Is the base on the short glass suposed to be squared or is the elipse out of round? Or am I seeing it wrong? Whatever it is, I love the palette you used. It shows that you don't need to use every colour in the rainbow to come up with a beautiful painting.

Doug

Tracer
01-06-2008, 08:44 PM
So rich and beautiful!

annepropst
01-06-2008, 08:51 PM
This one is my favorite. Love the warmth!

Donna A
01-06-2008, 08:55 PM
This is just lovely! I love the way you've managed all the color changes of values, temperatures and intensities within the golden yellow hue! Just glows! Donna ;-}

nana b
01-06-2008, 09:10 PM
Beautifully done and the colors are outstanding!

nana

fiannah
01-06-2008, 10:02 PM
your amazing Kim :) Well done!

water girl
01-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Donna A tooks the words right out of my mouth! This painting has such a warm, wonderful glow. Outstanding job! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Paula Ford
01-06-2008, 11:27 PM
How many ways can I possibly say GORGEOUS!

Paula

paul444
01-07-2008, 06:08 AM
A beautiful painting with great colours. The crystal glass is very well done too.

Donna T
01-07-2008, 07:39 AM
Wow! Amazing work, love the colors!

Donna

Karen Margulis
01-07-2008, 07:50 AM
Wow Kim....this is just amazing!!!! I love the colors. Fantastic painting!

Karen

bnoonan
01-07-2008, 11:36 AM
Hi Kim - yet another beauty. What I love most is the overall color you chose for this piece - can't say I can put my finger on it when I reach into my pastel box. Very nice!

Oh - just a thought - I found my eye was a little caught up with the "halo" effect around the apple. I'm sure it was how it was in real life but it reads a bit strong to me - too definitive.

Anyway - not anything you have to change - just thought I'd mention it.

I swear my Mom had that tall goblet. Barb:)

Colorix
01-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Kim, this is very beautiful! It is so beautiful I feel awkward nit-picking... that base/foot of the shorter glass... agree, and I wonder what the background is, can't figure it out, which doesn't matter.

I love how you got a real chiraroscuro -- from the darkest dark to the lightest light in the same object, for example in the apple. It is the refreshments of king Midas (the guy who had everything turning gold on him when he touched it). Lovely.

Deborah Secor
01-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Okay, Kim, call me weird. I've looked and looked at this one, enjoying the colors and your obvious skill in painting, and I've lectured myself over and over about how all these knowledgeable and credible people are looking at this painting and love it, and acknowledging to myself that I don't do still lifes much, but I still can't figure this one out. I'm so sorry--but what is that behind the apple, glass and goblet? Is it a pile of towels? Is it the wall? It's so graphically light and dark that it draws my eye. I know it's softer, so it's behind, and I like the colors...but the stuff in front is so realistic and that background just puzzles my brain. :confused:

I didn't know if I should even say anything, for all the reasons I mentioned but also because you're short on time, yet after returning to look several times I figured I'd mention it... I know I must seem terribly dense. I really don't mean to be overly critical because I don't think I could paint this on my best day, so consider the source! :o

Deborah

Bill Foehringer
01-07-2008, 02:20 PM
This was well worth the effort you put into this beautiful painting. :cool: How about a shades of blue set up next time? ;) BillF

Orchidacea
01-07-2008, 04:33 PM
Thanks to everyone for your great comments! Thanks also for your critiques, as they are much appreciated.

I did lose the ellipse at the bottom of the smaller wineglass...I'll fix that.

The halo effect around the apple definitely has to go...I hadn't even noticed it....I can just stretch that lighter area out around it and change the shape so it works with the comp without looking so halo-ey.

The background is gold foil wrapping paper. Because the paper has sort of a "section" quality, you get those stripes of light and dark. I know what it is, so I don't question it...which means it's really helpful to have other folks point it out! I'm not sure what I can do to make it make more sense (except maybe including "gold foil" in the title, LOL). I'll play around in Photoshop a little and see what I can come up with. Time is limited...but I also want every piece to work or it's not worth showing them!

I've been sticking with this palette because I love it, but also because it's so much easier to go from one piece to the next without putting all the sticks away and choosing all new ones with the right values and everything. Yes, it's sheer laziness on my part :) I imagine it must be getting a little dull--I'll choose a different palette for my next series, I promise.

Thanks again for your enthusiastic support and insightful comments. It's all very much appreciated!!

needtopaint
01-07-2008, 04:44 PM
I truly cannot comprehend how you do these! They are beautiful.

Christine

Merethe T
01-07-2008, 05:02 PM
I knew this would be good just by reading the title of the thread! I love this Kim, it's absolutely gorgeous!!! Outstanding job on the glass, in fact all textures are magnificent - and it just glows! I love it!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

The background had me a bit puzzled too, but my eyes went straight back to the glass and apples again so it didn't really bother me that much anyway...I like the colors, and I like the overall golden harmony in the piece. Your call of course, might be a matter of personal taste also - it's a beautiful piece!!

Merethe

Colorix
01-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Kim, thanks for telling what the background is. Actually, I don't think it matters what it is, and FWIW, I did come to the conclusion it was something metallic, but couldn't figure out *what* something metallic it was. A long way to say that it reads just right!

*Violet*
01-07-2008, 06:12 PM
all i can add to the accolades that precede this is .... http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Dec-2006/33616-23460-smiley_bow.gif

:)

binkie
01-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Wonderful color selection. Stunning work!

binkie

Orchidacea
01-07-2008, 08:33 PM
Okay, here it is with some improvements. I decided to leave the bg as is, but fixed the "halo" and the offending ellipse.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jan-2008/41088-three_shades_of_gold_600px.jpg

rhapsodyerin
01-07-2008, 08:51 PM
What an amazingly wonderful and well done painting.:thumbsup:

bnoonan
01-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Hey Kim, great improvements.

Check out the edges on the apple and pick a side to soften the edges on. I think it will help - every so slightly.

B:)))

Orchidacea
01-07-2008, 09:57 PM
Ah, Barb, you're right again! The shadow side of the apple got too sharp when I fixed the halo. I'll smoosh that down a little. :)

Jancee
01-10-2008, 08:50 PM
Yummy!
Jan C.