PDA

View Full Version : Rust with sponge

wszp
01-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Greetings,
This is my very first pastel this year. I decided to use only Iron Oxide and a Sofft Sponge. Since Since Iron(3)-oxide is the main component of rust I decided to name this Rust. Since it would be harder to describe the Sofft Sponge I was using to those not familiar with it then taking a photo, I decided on the foto.
I'm waiting for your comments and critiques. Thanks a lot.

Bringer
01-05-2008, 04:15 PM
Hi there,

Transylvania...... (Transilvānia in portuguese).
I suppose you're not related with Vlad ? :-)
I do like your spong work. As to the nude one it's a bit difficult to decide if it's a woman or a man. The pose ir more of a woman but the body is more of a man. However being a man, his sex should be more evident. So I suppose it's a woman ?
Did you make this using a model, photo or by your imagination ?
Try working values instead of lines.
Figure drawing demands good skills and I still didn't gather enough courage to do it, although I want to.

Kind regards,

José

wszp
01-05-2008, 04:53 PM
Thanks a lot. I did not know the Portuguese term for Transylvania.
And I'm also not related to any Walachian ruling dynasty. :)
I wanted to suggest that RUST/age/decay/death in itself destroys the feminine/masculine aspect of any human being. Since at the end all will became dust.
I will try working with values, and I hope I will be better in it. The edges of the sponge make linear drawing easier, but I wanted to use the broad sides as toning.
I encourage you to try it. You can't make something "wrong" or "incorrect" in art. It's all about perception.

Tracy Lewis
01-06-2008, 06:22 AM
My first thought on viewing the piece was ; " I feel like that most day's!" So I supose after reading your reply to Bringer, I got the idea!!!!!

wszp
01-06-2008, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the reply Tracy, and I'm glad you got the point.

Donna A
01-07-2008, 02:35 AM
Hi! This is a really striking gestural piece! And having just set down one of the triangular sponge tools, I know what it is to work with and you've done a great job of it! It's soo full of feeling and intent---and a very strong pose from an interesting vantage point. The hand is beautifully understood---which is so difficult for so many people. The whole figure is well understood and used for the impact you are wanting to create! I'm curious---what size is this piece? Well done! Thank you for sharing this. Very strong! Donna ;-}

wszp
01-07-2008, 06:14 AM
Donna A, thanks a lot. This is on a 24*32cm (9.5"*13.5" roughly) yellowish Rembrandt pastel paper.