PDA

View Full Version : Two stages of a simple demo

Grantwfuller
01-05-2008, 06:44 AM
When I have beginners in a workshop I select subjects that have a low level of drawing difficulty. You can make a few mistakes with rocks and hills and they still look like rocks and hill. That is not so true with portraits, buildings and florals. Here, the first washes are on wet paper (140 lb. Arches, stretched). I don't re-wet those washes, the danger of damage is too great. Once the paper is dry after the wet paper work, I complete the painting on dry paper.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2008/46573-wave2parts.jpg

mhimeswc
01-05-2008, 10:35 AM
This is beautiful!

Funny, after painting hundreds of flowers, and quite a few buildings and even a few portraits, one of the things I still find difficult is an ocean wave.

Michelle

Peggy SCx
01-05-2008, 10:46 AM
It's a great looking demo; nice way to incorporate wet and dry work.

painterbear
01-05-2008, 03:50 PM
Hello Grant,
Welcome to the Watercolor Forum.

Your WIP of the ocean wave hitting the rocks is very nice. The finished painting is lovely.

Your images look to be a little small. You can make them up to 500 pixels W x 600 pixels H if you post them separately. They can both be in one post, just leave a space between as you enter each one.

I look forward to seeing more of your works in the future.

Sylvia

Brian Barnes
01-05-2008, 04:48 PM
Welcome to the Watercolour Forum, Grant. Your work looks terrific. Looking forward to seeing more. Nice to see another BCer in the mix too. :)

I agree with Sylvia in wanting to see bigger images. ;)

Checked out your website. Great stuff! :thumbsup: You can include a link to your website in your signature line if you want.

BrianB

CharM
01-05-2008, 11:53 PM
Hi Grant... I'd really like to see larger images, as Sylvia has mentioned...

Your seascape looks fantastic..

So... I'd like it even more if you could do a full step-by-step demo for us right here in the Learning Zone!!! :clap: :) :heart: :clap:

Welcome to the forum!

hpthecat
01-06-2008, 01:52 AM
Hi Grant and welcome to the forums! I genuinely appreciate this demo as painting believable water is my..artistic New Year resolution. Thank You.

lizcar57
01-06-2008, 03:15 AM
Welcome Grant!

I already go to your website so was a pleasure to see you here. I heard about your website from JJ.

Liz

mmcaloon
01-06-2008, 11:30 AM
Welcome to the forum Grant. Your work is excellent

HarvestMoon
01-06-2008, 12:30 PM
oh- it still looks hard to do water (and rocks) that well!!! wish I could take your class...

Strawberry Wine
01-07-2008, 09:04 AM
Welcome to WetCanvas and the watercolour forum Grant!

I have subscribed to your newsletter for several years and enjoy it very much..

I am looking forward to seeing your work in the gallery and agree with What Char Said ^^^^^ that a step by step would be wonderful.

Cheers,

Gail

artman42
01-11-2008, 08:44 PM
Welcome Grant, to the forum....

artdreamer1
01-12-2008, 01:48 AM
What I wouldn't do for a step-by-step on painting waves like this! Love it!! Glad to have ya here...

Michele

mimitabby
01-12-2008, 10:56 AM
Hi Grant, I look forward to seeing your demo, because for some reason I find portraits a lot easier than seascapes and I'd love to be able to do waves, water, etc and have them be believable!!!!
welcome to WetCanvas!

D.J.
01-13-2008, 07:42 PM
Hi Grant, and welcome! I've enjoyed viewing your work, and just recently purchased Watercolor A to Z (part of my Christmas:)). Looks to be a great book!