PDA

View Full Version : Supposing you needed to ship a pastel painting...

Farfallina
01-04-2008, 06:48 PM
... in it's raw state, i.e. unmatted and unframed, how would you go about it?

Is it even possible? My preoccupation is that adding the weight of matting, frame and glass would make the shipping costs quite prohibitive. But even if you were to frame it, how would you go about protecting it?

Please advise... and thank you in advance.

mrking
01-04-2008, 07:53 PM
just as it is, unmatted and unframed I would sandwich it in between two pieces of foam core with some glassine paper taped on the back of the painting wrapping around the front to protect it. I'd tape the foam core edges to keep it all tight.

M.A.
01-04-2008, 08:22 PM
Here's what I'd do:

1. Cut three pieces of foam core larger than the size of your art work.
Pick up "conservative corners" to attach your artwork on one piece of the foam core.
2. Cut out a "window" in one piece of the foam core (this piece will go on top of your artwork).
3. Place the third piece of foam core on top of the other two.
4. For extra insurance, use two pieces of hardboard on the top and bottom of the "sandwich" -- it'll help prevent your work from being bent and other damage that can occur enroute.

The second piece of foam core (the window one) acts as a spacer to prevent your art from touching anything. If in doubt, make a couple of windows.

If you want to ship it framed, you might want to invest in a box especially made to ship artwork (like these (http://stores.ebay.com/MASTERPAK-Art-Shipping-Strong-Boxes)) or you could make one with plywood and foam etc.

skallagrig
01-04-2008, 08:25 PM
i've done this with three portraits stacked on top of each other, sandwiched with glassine between twwo sheets of 6mm mdf.

just make sure that all the paintings, glassine and board are exactly the same size (stops any sliding around) and tape the whole lot together securely and wrap in a couple of layers of bubble wrap to absorb any impact if dropped. it's actually safer than shipping framed paintings.

mdf i think is preferable to foamcore as it would take a big impact to break it.

Farfallina
01-06-2008, 09:00 AM
Thank you all so much for your good advice. This has taken a load off my mind and I feel more sucure now knowing how to go about it.:thumbsup: