PDA

View Full Version : Trouble in Pan Pastel Paradise

Rusla
01-04-2008, 03:04 PM
It seems I cannot get one of the pots to unscrew. Now, for those of you who are also using Pan Pastels did you have this problem and how did you solve it?

I have struggled with only one colour, of course it is one I need for this picture...go figure. Any way, any help is appreciated.

There is only me here to unscrew these and the cats are refusing to help.

Thanks,

Randi-Lee

mrking
01-04-2008, 03:08 PM
How about putting it in the freezer for 10 minutes or so.

Both pieces of plastic will contract and you may be able to get it undone after that.

Rusla
01-04-2008, 03:14 PM
Thanks, I will give that a shot.

Randi-Lee

reisSUEd
01-04-2008, 03:33 PM
You can also try using a rubberized grip to open it. If you do not have one, try wrapping a rubber band around the lid until tight (and another for the jar section if needed) and use that for a grip.

Rusla
01-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Thanks, the freezer is not working so far.

Deborah Secor
01-04-2008, 03:53 PM
If you have to, I say just pry the lid off and let it break! Take care to crack and break the lid only and not the pan itself... You can get another lid!

I agree that it would be a great improvement if these pans snapped together rather than screwing in place. I have the dickens of a time doing it with a minor amount of arthritis, and I could imagine being out on location when it started to rain! :o

It's early in the development of this product still, so perhaps such troubles will spark needed improvements over time.

Deborah

Jennifer S
01-04-2008, 03:55 PM
Take it to the hardware store and ask the nice man to open it. That always works for jars and stuff.

Donna A
01-04-2008, 04:00 PM
It seems I cannot get one of the pots to unscrew. Now, for those of you who are also using Pan Pastels did you have this problem and how did you solve it?

I have struggled with only one colour, of course it is one I need for this picture...go figure. Any way, any help is appreciated.

There is only me here to unscrew these and the cats are refusing to help.

Thanks, Randi-Lee

Hi, Randi-Lee! Boy---I know how it is with THOSE cats!!! Mine are just the same! Feed me pet me feed me worship me. :-) And they won't even dust or vacuum! :-) (wait---take that back---I have had a couple of pastel paintings tail-dusted when setting the painting in the wrong place for just a moment!)

I haven't run into a sticking lid, but remember one other person had this problem temporarily. The two ideas so far sound good! And my favorite for opening stuck lids in the kitchen is running the top lid under hot water to expand it, and trying to keep the lower portion cool as possible. In the case of the PanP's, might even help to hold a couple of icecubes in a plastic bag below.

Please do keep us posted and let us know what---I hope----worked! Best wishes for a speedy lid lift! Donna ;-}

Deborah Secor
01-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Love Jennifer's answer, if nothing else works... :D :thumbsup:

Deborah

Rusla
01-04-2008, 04:33 PM
Unfortunately it is two colours not a colour and not the lid, I wish it was just the lid. So, it is the Hansa Yellow and the other yellow that are so tight together.

Randi-Lee

mrking
01-04-2008, 04:39 PM
what if you were to place a bit of vegetable oil on the seam ever so gently with a toothpick and let it seep into the threads.

MarieMeyer
01-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Jennifer - the big guy across the street who fixes cars for living is also useful in these situations.

Deborah Secor
01-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Ah--that IS a problem then! Maybe some liquid soap along the edge, in the way Mike suggests, would help...or, hmmm, big guys to the rescue...

If it was me, I'd likely smash the whole lot with a hammer and it regret later. :rolleyes:

Deborah

Rusla
01-04-2008, 05:05 PM
So far I have tried: freezing, rubber bands, swearing, using my silicone oven mit, asking the cats, paper towels, the guy next door, mini screw driver along the seam, olive oil, knife, more swearing, hot water and tapping, nothing is working.

Randi-Lee

Shari
01-04-2008, 05:48 PM
Contact the maker and ask them to replace it!

PeggyB
01-04-2008, 06:00 PM
So far I have tried: freezing, rubber bands, swearing, using my silicone oven mit, asking the cats, paper towels, the guy next door, mini screw driver along the seam, olive oil, knife, more swearing, hot water and tapping, nothing is working.

Randi-Lee

I have a golden retriever who can chew anything apart whether you want him to or not! :lol:

However, given that isn't an option for you and it appears your've tried just about everything humanly possible, I'd call whomever you got them from and ask their advise. If you can't easily take it back for a replacement, hopefully you can send it back at their expense. Or take a hammer to the darn things and be done with them - then complain to the vendor! :evil: I had trouble with a couple of mine, but the "big strong guy" thing worked for me.

Peggy

Rusla
01-04-2008, 07:38 PM
I have emailed the manufacturer asking them for suggestions. I do believe I will also suggest they make them snap together in the future. I also have arthritis and it gets increasingly difficult to turn things that don't want to turn.

I do hope they replace them or if they want to send me a complete set of all of them that is fine also.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Randi-Lee

PS. I thought for sure that the swearing would work above everything else.

Rusla
01-04-2008, 08:05 PM
I have just had an email from the manufacturer, they will send me a replacement for the two colours.
They said this is the first problem they have had reported.
I have also suggested they make them snap together in the future. It would probably alleviate further problems plus make it easier for us with arthritis.

nana b
01-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Did you run hot water over them?

nana

Rusla
01-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Yup, I did it all.

bluefish
01-05-2008, 12:17 PM
Donna's answer is the way to go - you want to expand the plastic in the lid and contract the plastic in the jar - DO NOT freeze both - wrong thing to do !

Try the heated lid a number of times - it should come loose eventually - if not send back to manufacturer - I'm sure they would love to see what the problem is - probably cross threaded in assembly, possibly a quality control problem! Good luck - let us know the results!

'blufish':wave:

Rusla
01-05-2008, 01:58 PM
This is two colours that won't separate. The manufacture is going to replace them.

nvcricket
01-05-2008, 08:13 PM
I go with returning it....

after you tap it rather forcefully with a hammer to hopefully get it back into the groove. It may break, but since you will be returning it, at least you could use it before you send it back. Wrap it with a cloth so if it does crack, plastic and pans don't go flying.

Now go panning...

Carol

Rusla
01-07-2008, 07:39 PM
I spoke to the lovely woman at Colorfix (Pan Pastels), I described everything I did to try to get them to come apart. We agree it was probably a threading issue at the factory. She said she would be sending me out the replacement colours and not to send the others back. She was also sending me out as a gift some extra tools. They are so sweet and I am so loving these pastels.

Randi-Lee

marianneDKUSA
10-19-2017, 04:52 PM
I know this is a bit late but I just purchased a set of 20 on eBay at a really good price. Now I know why !
Many of them were stuck together but I was able to separate all but 3 of them. Thatīs when I googled the problem and came across this site !!
My hands were getting very sore so I went into my husbands workshop and carefully positioned the stack in the vise one his workbench. I was then able to twist of the top container. I then repositioned the remaining two and was again able to separate these. Needless to say I will NOT screw any of them back together but will have to find another way to keep them covered.

contumacious
10-19-2017, 10:00 PM
I do love a "Lazarus" thread that wakes up almost a decade later! I am not quite sure why some moderators lock them when they show up and others are left open. We shall see what happens to this one!

I too have suffered with this problem. I ended up using a pair of big channel lock pliers to separate them. Unfortunately most people don't even have one pair in their tool chest.

A suggestion that might work for anyone else stumbling on this thread many years after it was posted, BEFORE you screw any of them together or put a cap on one, coat both the top and the bottom sets of threads with a dry lubricant such as powdered mica or graphite. Graphite would be my 2nd choice due to the color. Just be careful not to get any graphite into the light colored pan pastels as it will definitely gray them down. Mica not so much. Wiping off the rim before using can help prevent that, adding a bit more when done. In a pinch if you can't find your dry lubricant, the actual pan pastel dust rubbed into the threads with a Q-tip MIGHT work, but not as well as powered mica. Note: I have not tested the Pan Pastel lube as I was concerned that the grit might be to coarse and cause them lock up tighter. I will check that theory out later and return to report.

msgenie516
10-23-2017, 07:41 PM
PanPastels can really be a problem opening if the last time it was closed, it wasn't screwed on right. If the threads are misaligned, there's trouble in PanPastel Paradise! I wish I could help you, but in the future, make sure the threads are aligned. I have them myself and, so far, haven't experienced a problem. I actually like the little tops that have been made available for them. I'm sure the company stands behind their product and will replace those that you can't save.

stapeliad
10-30-2017, 12:39 PM
There are flat palettes made for PanPastels which I highly recommend instead of fighting with the threads, which do get stuck very easily.