PDA

View Full Version : Self-Portrait Challenge - Let's Have Some Fun!

Kathryn Wilson
01-03-2008, 08:46 AM
Well, you all are wanting to do this thing - self portraits can be challenging, but fun too. So here's the deal:

1. Post your inspiration, reference photos, goals in what you want to paint.
2. Post any sketches, works-in-progress.
3. Post for critiques and help at any stage.
4. Post your final painting and we will put it them all together in a gallery so we can look at them all at once.

This is limited to soft pastels - but after that anything goes. Abstract, impressionistic, realistic - it's your choice.

It's not important, but please post size, paper being used, general idea of what pastels you use - we are always curious about techniques too.

So, let's have a great time with this. It will be an on-going challenge, so it will be Stickied. If you can't join right now, join us later!

Oh, yes, if you want a critique, please state so in your posts. If you'd rather not, then do that too. :wave:

Kathryn Wilson
01-03-2008, 08:54 AM
So, since I started this, I'd best get mine going.

At first, I was just going to do a plain portrait, but then my artistic imaginings took over. I wanted to do something with mirrors, but have changed my mind. I will be painting from a reference photo that I created in Photoshop, which is posted below.

A self-portrait should be all about how you feel about yourself, not just a painting or a sketch. I wanted to say something about myself too - so here goes. I imagined myself as being more than a member of Wet Canvas, more than a person in this country, more than a human on our planet -- but a being existing in a vast universe. So I went searching for photos of the universe and fell in love with the nebulas - their colors and non-conformity speak louder than words.

So, here's my inspiration and my reference photo.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2008/14941-self_portrait_-_jpg.jpg

Deborah Secor
01-03-2008, 10:55 AM
Kat, this seems like a great start! I like the way you seem to be dreamily staring out into the universe. The light is working well, too, as if a sun is overhead, a brighter, nearer star.

I plan to try this self-portrait thing, perhaps a bit more traditionally than you :rolleyes:, but not until after the middle of January. If I come in and play sooner I'll not only do harm to my writing schedule but likely not paint very well either. The challenge of a live model (even if it is in the mirror) is enough--no sense in making it harder!

Keep us posted on your progress... :clap: Love the imaginative and expressive start you have here already!!

Deborah

binkie
01-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Wow, Kat! Your portrait is going to be great! I want to participate but don't know when I'll get to it. Wonderful idea! Thanks for starting this thread!

binkie

Pat Isaac
01-03-2008, 04:39 PM
That is a wonderful portrait, Kat. I'll be watching the progress. Love those background colors.

Pat

K Taylor-Green
01-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Wow, Kat! This will be great! Good shot of you, too.

alaskan rose
01-04-2008, 12:58 AM
Count me in, I'm hoping to do it from life, not sure of the pose yet. How big are you thinking of doing yours, Kat?

Paula Ford
01-04-2008, 06:24 AM
What a beautiful photo and source of inspiration Kat. Can't wait to see the painting.

Paula

AliciaS
01-04-2008, 10:23 AM
Count me in too!

Kathryn Wilson
01-04-2008, 11:03 AM
Great Alicia and Margie!

Thanks Paula and Kate - it was fun working in Photoshop again.

mrking
01-04-2008, 02:07 PM
I am glad you stickied this. When i am more confident in the year I'll give it a go.

David Patterson
01-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Oh Kat...you look so dreamy!!:wink2: :lol:

I think I'll give this a try...could be fun!

David Patterson
01-04-2008, 03:15 PM
What a beautiful photo and source of inspiration Kat. Can't wait to see the painting.

Paula

Can't wait to see yours Paula!:p:D

Maybe you could be sitting in a tree!

Deborah Secor
01-04-2008, 04:01 PM
Or yours, David--holding something made of glass??? Hmmmm?

Deborah

K Taylor-Green
01-04-2008, 04:06 PM
That's the thing about self portraits! I can't think of a way of portraying myself in an interesting way.

Deborah Secor
01-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Y'know, I was over in the portraiture forum and saw a couple of neat ideas. I figure stealing--er, borrowing an idea is always good! On woman had painted a portrait of herself in a painting, wrapped in brown paper, tied with string, but slightly ripped open so you can see the upper half of her face, and placed the painting leaning against a tree... Neat shadows, a little landscape, and a flattering bit of face (no neck or...anything...to deal with!)

Another gal has herself all decked out in a snazzy dress with her arm wrapped backwards behind her head, showing off some of her great assets, and holding pearls in the other hand. Very nice... :D

Others have painted face only, no surroundings to speak of, and still others have added scarves draped over heads and beneath chins. (I should have my husband shoot a pic of me with my hoodie all fastened up to my nose...) I also liked the portrait from behind the shoulders with a snippet of face reflected in a hand-held mirror.

Kate, how about looking over a horse's back or neck? Or holding a puppy up to your chin? :D

Deborah

David Patterson
01-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Or yours, David--holding something made of glass??? Hmmmm?

Deborah

Good idea Deborah...I'll have a little more Merlot please.:D
What, not that kind of glass?!:)

K Taylor-Green
01-05-2008, 08:41 AM
Well, I guess it would have to be something animal to be current, but when I was a young woman I always wanted to dance. I STILL love dance! All kinds of dance. I did belly dancing for several years to keep in shape. Jess and I took 10 months of ballroom . Maybe something dance related!

Deborah Secor
01-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Good idea Deborah...I'll have a little more Merlot please.:D
What, not that kind of glass?!:)

I know, your face reflected in the glass of merlot...You could hold the glass and paint your reflection. Just don't TIP it! :wink2:

Deborah

Pat Isaac
01-05-2008, 06:46 PM
:lol: I like that image...
Pat

David Patterson
01-05-2008, 09:40 PM
I know, your face reflected in the glass of merlot...You could hold the glass and paint your reflection. Just don't TIP it! :wink2:

Deborah

Hey...I'm going to stuggle with this as it is, don't make it any more difficult!:lol:

maw-t
01-07-2008, 11:21 PM
This sounds like such fun! So Where is everybuddy's start or reference?? I think I will give it a go... Now to think of something interesting to do with me..I love the univverse idea. I thot about using the avatar pic of me as reference... not very creative but not bad lighting.... hmmmm....

Kathryn Wilson
01-07-2008, 11:40 PM
Welcome Maw-t! Life seems to have taken hold of my time this week, so many things to get done. But I am going to try to get at least a facial sketch in ...

Take your time in deciding, this thread will be here quite a while.

maw-t
01-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Thanks Kathryn! I am very new to this medium.. SOooo, I hope I can keep up.. I do have lots of time on my hands.. so maybe I can.. Anyway this is great way to keep motivated and to learn... I just cant wait to see how you all progress from stage to stage... very exciting! Thanks for leading it!!

Kathryn Wilson
01-13-2008, 12:32 PM
Okay - I been thinking about my strategy on this self-portrait. It's been so long since I've even tried to do a face in pastels, I decided to think about it in terms of a landscape.

Establish shapes and darks and lights. Since I always get the tilt of the head, and placement of features slightly out of whack, I decided to attack it this way:

1. I printed out my photo in greyscale.
2. Established the placement of features and shape of head by tracing over the photo. This will be a good reference to watch while I am sketching.
3. Using the same photo, I used a black marker to establish at least the dark shapes. Also using this as a reference tool.

Now, on to the sketching. Yikes!

Pat Isaac
01-13-2008, 06:31 PM
Great way to start, Kat. Your process is looking good.

Pat

Kathryn Wilson
01-13-2008, 08:48 PM
Thanks Pat, I even put in the eye corner crinkles!

Deborah Secor
01-15-2008, 12:39 PM
I agree--good approach thinking landscape, Kat. I think the positioning of your features is fairly good. One thing that helped me was to think of the face as wrapping around a ball, which gave me the picture of the convergence of lines as the face goes away from the viewer. Looking good!

Deborah

David Patterson
01-16-2008, 08:19 AM
Thanks Pat, I even put in the eye corner crinkles!

Great sketches Kat, but what are "eye corner crinkles"? :) :D :lol:

Please don't ban me! :p

David

Kathryn Wilson
01-16-2008, 08:26 AM
:evil: hmmmmmm ... searching for the "ban" button. LOL

But I guess I'll just slap you upside the head instead :D

I wish I were getting along on this portrait faster than I am, but I am trying to get my house ready for sale, so things will be a little slow in this thread for a little while. :o

ThreeWolves
01-16-2008, 11:44 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jan-2008/98863-SelfPortaitPink.jpg

Here is a Self Portrait Chuck Stake style. <grin> If you don't get the refrence look up Don Mabie. Sixties hippy gone artist, taught at ACAD. Threre was my go. I like how it turned out. The style was represented really well. Mabey a little muddy on the shading of the cheek bones. However I don't have any fixative to do layers, so the florescent colores would have just turned to mud. Here you go. STG 2008, Oh, 11 x 14 sketch paper with NuPastels.

maw-t
01-17-2008, 01:13 AM
HI ALL,
Kathyrine, looks like you are going to have a masterpiece! I started on mine tonight:)) Took snapshots along the way. First off let me say I really don;t know how to go about this. I am new to pastels, and havnt painted much at all in yrs & yrs...

I sit in my recliner to paint. I hold my paper with my left hand with computer in my lap & pastels on tables beside me.. This isnt the best way to paint, but it is what it is right now. I dont get very good perspective with the painting so close. Like so many here I want to learn. I am hoping this excersize will help me to do that. I certainly hope you all will help me out... I am at a road block about what to do nnext on this. This was done tonight in a couple of hrs. It is on the wrong side of canson mi t(whatever its called). I didnt mean to do it on the wrong side but I had already sketched before I realized.

1st photo, I sketched looking at my reference on the computer

2nd photo I began laying in some shapes & tones.

3rd photo more shapes with some color really ugly stage

4th photo I tried to correct as I went looking at shapes & colors...

5th photo is my reference.

It looks very unfinished.. and is. I just don't know what to do now. Should I add more color? more pigment? Throw away and start again?? I know I need to correct features. Any help C&C greatly appreciated just whenever anyone has time..
I realize how busy people are & I am in no hurry.. I'm just having a blast here in this forum!

Blessings!

maw-t
01-17-2008, 01:24 AM
OOPS got the order wrong... Not sure how that happened?? But reference photo got stuck in middle somehow... sorry. I probably should have made a separate post for it.

Diana_pastels
01-17-2008, 09:42 AM
Maw-t, don't throw this away. I think it is coming along very well! I don't do portraits and haven't committed to trying to do this self-portrait challenge either, so I don't have any advice. But I think you have some great work here already. Keep going.
Diana

Deborah Secor
01-17-2008, 09:44 AM
Shaun, your portrait is very expressive! From what I can tell it looks like you caught your face well.

T, take a nice shot of the piece straight on, nice and clear for us, in daylight--will you? I think it's looking very good! Looks like you got the face's proportions right, but a good pic will tell more. This one is at an angle, so it's hard to say...

Perhaps the hat brim is a tad smaller than in the ref, but I don't know that I care, except that it casts a larger shadow down your face. Maybe in time you can push the shadows just a little darker--but not dark.

I like the look of the loose strokes and it's most assuredly recognizable as YOU! Maybe instead of working more on this one, do another...? Good job.

Maybe one of these days I'll clear the deck to paint mine. Hope so--you're inspiring me.

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
01-17-2008, 10:53 AM
Well, I am not getting email alerts to this thread! Didn't know you all had posted - how frustrating.

Shaun - you ol' hippie you - very expressive. Try another and see what happens - each one will come out differently and you will see new things.

T - great guns! You did this sitting in a recliner! I'd have pastels all over - is there a reason for this? I love standing at my easel, give me freedom to swing my arm to get expressive strokes with pastels. Nevertheless, you did a great job and it does favor you. Like Dee says, do another - we have all the time in the world (I keep saying to myself).

maw-t
01-17-2008, 12:42 PM
Shaun, I like your style.. I have collected a few pieces of outsider & folk art.. such expression.

I particularly like the background here.. almost a 3-d effect. I went to your website... I saw a couple very realistic self portraits there. Did you do those also??

maw-t
01-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the replies!!

Yep it gets all over the place! My poor computer!

I think I will play with this a little more.. then post it again. Then try one standing at easel..

But here ya go Deb... i tried to get it str8er & in a better light.

I liked it better in the DARK :))
HaPpY DAY YALL!!

maw-t
01-17-2008, 03:11 PM
I played... I tried to make more light.. but I dunno...maybe needs blending?? Any suggestions??

ThreeWolves
01-17-2008, 03:18 PM
All the works on my site are mine exept the double feamale photo at the top. All the paintings and drawings are mine. I did oil for a while, then acrylic, then some charcoal, now I have got some NuPastels. I did about 100 paintings last year ranging from 5 x 5 feet to 30 x 40 inches. Now I am working so small. I find it hard to do detail on a face when it is so small. Especially when the pastels don'e have a corner on them. Mind you I haven't reverted to using a pencil in the pastel sketches yet. Anyway, thank you for visiting my site.

Many Blessings
STG

maw-t
01-17-2008, 03:50 PM
Yikes! when I see it on here i freak out.. it really doesnt look that drastic in light dark & not this yellow;; eeeeeew...

ThreeWolves
01-17-2008, 04:26 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jan-2008/98863-SelfPortairt2.jpg

I call this one "Wild Eyes". It is true, evey time I draw myself it turnes out differently. A lot of what I do is intuitive, so it is allways different depending on what the energy of the moment is.

Many Blessings
STG

Kathryn Wilson
01-17-2008, 04:52 PM
Wow, T - these are looking great! Keep it up.

Shaun - this is wild indeed. To get a sharp corner, break the pastel!

wabbitt
01-20-2008, 10:59 PM
Hi all. I don't think I've posted in this forum since the opies stopped posting to the monthly challenge & sketch threads. I'm surprised there isn't more self-portraits in here considering the interest in the query post.

So here's my soft pastel self portrait, done also for my life drawing class homework. Mom says the likeness is getting closer. It's the first time I've got the shape and length of my nose, so it's not perfect but it should get better by May. :cool: I would appreciate C&C, especially on color. The drawing will get crit in class on Thursday. Digital manips welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2008/76057-por11.JPG

Thanks for looking.

X-post to the Portrait-a-day thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469140).

Kathryn Wilson
01-21-2008, 07:20 AM
Hi Wabbit - thanks for coming over to the soft side of pastels!

I am struggling with mine and I need to post my efforts - I can't seem to get a likeness - all the features are close, but overall it just doesn't look like me!

Pat Isaac
01-21-2008, 07:59 AM
Hey, Julie. Glad you got over here to post your self portrait. I can definitely see a how far you have come since your first one. I like the oval format and the color is working well.

Pat

maw-t
01-21-2008, 11:11 AM
Well, post it anyway!.. maybe someone elses eyes can see where it;s off... I sure wish more would get into this... It would be a great learning tool to see some experienced artists self portraitures take shape.. with "fixes" and all... Seems most of us so far are pretty new to all this... Sooooo come on ya'll, join in !!!

wabbitt
01-21-2008, 05:06 PM
Thanks kathryn & Pat. I think I'm on my 6th self portrait (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466201) (counting all media) and I haven't gotten the perfect likeness yet. I'm not too worried because there'll be more. Besides I haven't posted a "real" picture of myself so nobody still knows what I really look like ...muahahaha!

Pat Isaac
01-21-2008, 05:12 PM
You are right!......:lol: but your are doing exceptionally well.

Pat

doe
01-22-2008, 08:12 AM
These are all looking great - if I ever finish the painting on the easel, I'll join you!:)

Kathryn Wilson
01-22-2008, 08:31 AM
Well, I'll bite the bullet and post my efforts, although it is more a drawing than a pastel at this point. I was trying to get familiar with my features, but I am now realizing this is not the way to go about it. I have the far eye to put in yet - that is hard to see and get it right.

Hehehehe, realizing how hard this is going to be!

Pat Isaac
01-22-2008, 09:10 AM
Wellllll......waiting, waiting....

Pat

Kathryn Wilson
01-27-2008, 02:10 PM
Sorry, Pat, it's been a loooong week - just got back to this today. Still not happy with it, but I am seeing some improvement. I think the photo is tilted a little towards the back.

Not a good likeness, but I think it will get better as I learn to put these things in their proper proportions - I think that is what is wrong with this right now.

Pat Isaac
01-27-2008, 05:02 PM
It is coming along very well, Kat and I find that as you go along you keep correcting the drawing. Don't know why, but I always found it easier to draw someone else.
Pat

*Violet*
01-30-2008, 12:32 AM
i'm in for this challenge too !! ...

eyepaint
01-31-2008, 10:30 AM
Hello!

Here's a self portrait in soft pastel done from life (the mirror beside the easel).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2008/96240-IMGP2050.JPG

9x12 limited palette Rembrandt sticks on Fabriano Ingres pastel paper.

Cheers,

BetsyPriesing
01-31-2008, 02:52 PM
hi all i haven't kept up so i need to comment all at once:D

Threewolves i think that you likeness shows in both the paintings you have done. i can tell it is you! (even hippie style) i think in the 1st the mouth area is especially done well, i like the colors.

Maw-T I loved watching the WIPs i think that t liked the missing dark blues you had in the lower right hair....i think it would tie it back into the background grey/blue but thats all i see to comment about! I looks really nice.

Wabbit my only concern is with the blue/orange background i think that the blue needs to be tied into the orange alittle more...maybe going back with the orange in places and softening it up a bit..blending with the stick itself. I think the face area is well done. I would think its hard to do glasses....they don't over power the portrait. Since your post was last week how did the crit go?

Kathryn will keep an eye out for your next post....:)

EP your sooo BLUE!!:D I like that you used the red to pull my eye around the painting, its good movement. Done from life too...i'm not ready for that!

Pat Isaac
01-31-2008, 03:33 PM
great job, EP and I recognize your signature color.

Pat

eyepaint
02-01-2008, 12:13 AM
Betsy and Pat - thank you. As for signature blue, I was holding my breath the entire time, lol :)

BetsyPriesing
02-07-2008, 12:45 PM
Hi I did my self portrait from a photo of me on my honeymoon. 14X10. Unison, rembrants on colorfix. Im not sure that i like it.
I'm going to try it again this time from real life...you maynot see it...:D it's me 20 years later....oh my:(

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Feb-2008/103534-betsyselfportrait1_Medium_Web_view.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
02-07-2008, 03:36 PM
This is fantastic - I only hope that mine will turn out half as good! Can't wait to see your next one!

BetsyPriesing
02-07-2008, 03:54 PM
Thanks Kathryn.:) I actually did this the 2nd day the thread opened and i have trying to decide whether or not to post it....I'm still not sure I'm going to do the life one......I'm afraid of what i look like now....it may look to much like me:D

eyepaint
02-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Betsy - this is awesome! I recognize your trademark look of a blended skin but loose hair/clothing/bg :) Maybe you could sketch yourself in the mirror with a pencil first to see how to proceed doing the sp from life in soft pastels?

ArtSavesLives
02-07-2008, 07:50 PM
I logged on about three hours ago and decided to see what was happening in "pastels' today. This thread may have saved my day. I have been fighting health issues, pain issues, and ultimately, inertia issues. But this thread said to me "drop everything and do a self portrait." So glad I listened!

I had to first put away my watercolors, which have ben sitting on the table waiting for me to return and either finish something or begin anew. That was a much needed move! Then I had to set up two tabletop easels, one with a mirror. OK. Now I had my "short-drawer" of pastels out (my abbreviated working pastels for home quick studies) and was ready to go.

I had meant to do it as a WIP, but honestly, it was so good to get my hands dirty again, I just worked until I was about 95% finished. In fact, maybe I should have quit then, because I tend to change things and overwork images at that stage.

Here is my self-portrait entry for the challenge. I rarely include my glasses. . . but decided to really see myself today. Thanks for this challenge. . . I needed it!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Feb-2008/107691-100_1291.JPG
Feb '08 Self-portrait 8" x 10"
Fabriano Tiziano Charcoal Gray
Rembrandt, NuPastel, Schimnke

Kathryn Wilson
02-07-2008, 07:54 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Wow, this is great - so glad you enjoyed the challenge. At least I can get someone else to have some fun with this -

:thumbsup:

*Violet*
02-07-2008, 09:14 PM
way to accept the self portrait challenge !! ... yours will be a tough act to follow ... kudos to you and yours !! .... it's well done and expressive

BetsyPriesing
02-07-2008, 11:02 PM
Yeah i love it...and you did it how fast? I love the directional lines in your painting, the color palette is a great choice, very striking portrait! Hope to see more.

Pat Isaac
02-08-2008, 09:06 AM
Excellent! Excellent! Beautifully rendered..

Pat

claydesigner2156
02-08-2008, 08:32 PM
Hi Katherine,
New to pastels and doing landscapes, but might even try the self-portrait this weekend. Love to do portraits but mostly in watercolor, so pastels will really be a challenge. Once done, I'm not sure how to post. I do know to reduce the size to 500x700 at least...from there I'm lost. If the picture is bad enough, it won't matter!
l live in Sanford and go to Raleigh frequently. Nice to have a talented "neighbor" nearby!.:) :wave:
Will be in touch.
Yvonne

Kathryn Wilson
02-08-2008, 09:24 PM
Hi Yvonne! Nice to see you here too!

When you get ready to post your image, click the advanced button under the reply box and then scroll down to Manage Attachments, use the browse button to find your image, then the upload button. If you need help, give me a shout.

Have fun this weekend!

maw-t
02-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Oh Wow, I hadnt checked out this thread in a long time.. so many great portraits!! Will be keeping a closer eye!! Hope you do a another Betsy, this one is awesome!... Wabbit, wat to go!! Blue girl, That is very energetic.. wish I had some energy!! & Artsaveslifes, so glad you decided to dive in and forget your problems for a few hours, I know the feeling.. it is a beautiful work! & KAT.. come on, we want more!! :)

claydesigner2156
02-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Kathryn,
I think I finally got the picture up. After posting i went out and worked on the picture more. It was awful...but was my first pastel portrait. Hey, I've only done a full total of 6 pastels at all. I've been painting in Acryclic for a long time and watercolor for a year and a half. I should post 2 of my WC portraits. I'm proud of them! Practice will make me better. Now if I could navigate through WetCanvas more easily....

Regards,
Yvonne
"Smile...it makes them wonder what's going on..."

claydesigner2156
02-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Posted my first self portrait somewhere else here. Navigation is a little confusing. Anyway, I'll try again. I've only done 6 pastels total. Usually work in watercolor and acrylic. So be kind. After seeing the pic online, I went and worked some more. It was awful! Hopefully, I'll improve. Need more colors. Wish I'd win the lottery so I could get a Master set...around $1000 or so...
Yvonne G.:confused:

BetsyPriesing
02-14-2008, 09:26 PM
Hi Yvonne i haven't looked in for a few days...i glad to see your self-portrait up! This is nice, using the red shirt to tie in your hair and the face makes it a balanced portrait. only 1 little thing is to make the eyes line up to be more level...i think its (your right eye), looking alittle too high up. Just pulling that down will make all the difference. good job keep at it!

claydesigner2156
02-14-2008, 09:50 PM
Thanks Betsy,
Yes, I noticed that eye "thing" too but in my reference pic my head is actually tilted a little. As you can see, I did one part right and one wrong...straightened the head but not the eye. Another thing I had a problem with...if it is really a problem (haha) ...I am older than my picture looks. I had trouble making myself look older What a problem!!!:lol

On to the February challenge and the Feb Project. Just finished a watercolor portrait and am working on another. Can't do the portraits in pastel ...yet!

Yvonne: :heart:

BetsyPriesing
02-15-2008, 11:41 AM
yep at a certin point I don't have problem with looking younger than i am...! I hate looking in the mirror seeing someone different. I guess you gotta accentuate all those things we see that just ....shouldn't be there. I gotta stop airbrushing the wrinkles off my photos. ;)

johndill01
02-21-2008, 10:24 PM
I tried earlier to upload this image. Apparently the image uploader is not working correctly. This is my attempt at a self portrait from life.

Don't know if I will try this again, as the model complained all day, took frequent coffee breaks and even tried to sneak in a couple of naps.:)

Approximately 11 x 14 on white colourfix, with a variety of softies.

Will probably go back on this one at a later time and refine it some.

John

BetsyPriesing
02-22-2008, 11:31 AM
Hi John im glad you reposted. I love the purples you used in contrast with your blue eyes...makes them sparkle.:thumbsup:

Kathryn Wilson
02-22-2008, 01:29 PM
Yeah, John, having the same problem with my model ... just sits and stares at me all day.

At least you got one done! Guess I'll have to have a talk with her, see if I can get her to pose more. LOL

johndill01
02-22-2008, 02:09 PM
Kat, it might require a bribe. A good chocolate bar and a cup of really good coffee.

John

Deborah Secor
02-22-2008, 07:00 PM
Oh--will that do it? So far my model has ducked and run every time I try to paint her!

Deborah

claydesigner2156
02-24-2008, 05:54 PM
Hey, for chocolate, I'll pose! My model ate all my chocolate so I'll have to go to get more...then maybe there will be a better portrait!

Yvonne

Artaholic
03-03-2008, 12:53 AM
Wow what great portraits, you guys rock !!!!