PDA

View Full Version : Portrait of Giesela - Is it finished?

gibbs
01-02-2008, 11:35 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2008/61112-giesela_8x10.jpg

This is a painting of a fellow artist friend. I loved her glasses....they motivated me to paint her portrait. It started as a value study but I ended up adding some red because it suited her personality. I'm trying to decide if I should adjust any values or just leave it as finished. I'm afraid if I do much more to it I'll ruin it, but I always wonder if I could be doing more. Thanks in advance for any advice!

ameliajordan
01-02-2008, 11:51 PM
I'm not good enough at portraits to know but if you feel the song has been sung then it's finished! It looks great!!!

pao
01-03-2008, 12:04 AM
:thumbsup: She sure has character and you've caught it here.
Since you asked ... it seems some additional red would balance the piece.
Left shoulder?, left eyeglasses? ... gold, yellows came to my mind, maybe, just sharing thoughts.
What is she saying to you(you closer to her:D )?( That might tell you the direction for color .... red certainly matches her intensity of gaze).
Like the granulation you got in this.
Cheers,
Pamela

gibbs
01-03-2008, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the advice. I think it needs balancing too. I'll start with some red in the shoulder. I considered some orange in the glasses as a complement to the blue but I didn't know if it would throw the painting off too much.

JudiPatooti
01-03-2008, 01:55 AM
I think it looks great. (The balance of some more red, or purple, did occur to me, too, though.) Love your painting style here. Is she giving us the evil eye? :)

Its almost 1:00 AM as I'm sitting here and I thought the title of your post was "Geisha". I was pretty surprised when I scrolled down! :) Well, it woke me up a bit, anyway. :)

Judi

mobius49
01-03-2008, 02:33 AM
love it....left eye seems too light vs other eye but they maty be due to the darks in that part of the painting....nice though, as is.

painterbear
01-03-2008, 07:11 AM
Hi Gibbs,
I've moved your painting to the Studio since you aren't sure you are finished yet and you will probably get more suggestions and feedback here. When you have finished it to your satisfaction, you can post it again in the Gallery as a finished portrait. :D

I think you've done a terrific job showing your friend and her wonderfully eccentric glasses—they remind me of some I had back in the 1950s. :lol:

I think you could bring some of that red into the left side of the background, it seems isolated in that corner now and draws the viewer's eye away from the face with the wonderful glasses.

If you can't do photo manipulations on the computer (like me), you can print out a color copy of your painting and play with variations before changing your actual portrait.

Sylvia

gknee
01-04-2008, 03:04 PM
I love how you focused with details on the eyes, nose, and mouth and left the rest in a loose fashion. It lookds great and really focuses on her expression and those fun glasses. Great job. If you added other colors it would be nice but I rather like it all in blue it gives it a real mood especially with the red behind her. I would like to borrow your idea someday and try a moody painting like this one. Don't they say copying is best form of flattery. I like it keep it as it is.

seosamhin
01-04-2008, 04:51 PM
A lot of character shows in this portrait. Some more red maybe in the background and possible the clothing.
Julia

gibbs
01-04-2008, 05:16 PM
I added some quinacridone rose to the shoulder, glasses, and background. I think it balances it a bit more without overpowering it. Thank you very much for your advice!!

painterbear
01-04-2008, 06:20 PM
Can you take another photo and show us the revision? Would love to see it.

Sylvia

gibbs
01-04-2008, 07:34 PM
I have tried several times to upload the new photo but have had trouble. I'll try to use an attachment.

KarinaRose
01-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Wow, I have to say I just love your style! I can't put my finger on it. It's the little choices of what to detail and what to not. Something in the subjects you choose - I saw your paintings in the other thread. Beautifully done! Your use of color to evoke mood in a bold way - love it!
Karen

painterbear
01-04-2008, 10:21 PM
:clap: :thumbsup:

I really like what you've done with the addition of red in selected spots. It brought unity to the portrait and made her look much more alive.

Well done! Thanks for persisting also in getting the revised portrait into the thread. You can post your finished picture in the Gallery now that it is finished and add a link to this thread. :D

Sylvia

WaterMike
01-04-2008, 10:48 PM
That is QUITE a gaze gibbs. I really like the original. The reds you added seem fine to me, but I also thought maybe a crop of some off the left side might be considered, though the grainy ultramarine looks cool (& you'd have to replace your signature).

Uschi
01-05-2008, 09:45 AM
Looks fabulous to me!!!!!!
Uschi

ReesArt
01-05-2008, 07:40 PM
:wave: Lora...WOW! A Wonderful portrait. I'm sure Giesela will be very proud of it ;) Great job...:thumbsup::clap::clap::clap:

bluemoonstar
01-05-2008, 11:32 PM
It looks finished now with the reds added - it's a very interesting portrait. Has your friend seen it, & how does she like it?

CharM
01-05-2008, 11:47 PM
Yes! You've balanced the colour and created unity in the composition... this is a WONDERFUL portrait! I know that Giesela will be thrilled to see this...

gibbs
01-06-2008, 05:45 PM
Thanks for all your advice. I'm showing this to Giesela this week. I hope she likes it!

Ms. Gee
01-06-2008, 08:30 PM
This is very well done! I love those cool glasses and that gaze -- how she's facing into the painting but looking the opposite way. It makes me wonder what she's thinking. She'll probably snicker when she sees this because it's a great painting that shows she has tons of character! :clap: :clap:

Grace

P.S. She looks like my Mom!

Obraz
01-13-2008, 07:41 AM
I love Giesela's gaze, too, and agree with some of the others that
color on left side other than blue would be a plus. I think Greg has a good suggestion when he asks you to use photo manipulation or make a color copy to play with.

Glo

Maria56
01-14-2008, 06:23 PM
what a super painting. very life like.
Lucia

gibbs
01-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Yes, it is finished. I added some reds, and fixed the glasses. I posted it in watercolor gallery under "Gisela's Glasses". Thanks for looking!