PDA

View Full Version : Just For Fun Olympic Pastel Review Group Three : Diane Townsend Terrage.

bose
01-02-2008, 10:34 AM
Hi it's me again.

Wel I have just had my first strong critisisim for Not Laying Colour into Colour, which is fine.

Which means I'm obviously boring someone, to death, with my meger tests, but again that's fine, as they have a choice, to read them or not.

As this is a simple review and will remain a simple review and if some one doesn't like it, they have a choice, dont they.

DON'T READ THE BLOOMIN THING.

And if you think Terry Ludwig Square Pastels are LOADED with PIGMENT try Paul De Marrias Totaly Hand Made Soft Pastels.

I rest my case, and stick by what I said.

So now I will get off my soapbox.

Sorry about that.

But do you ever get the feeling no matter how much work, you put into something, there is always, some one out there to moan. you haven't done enough or you should have done this or you should have done that.

And as I had only one sample of most Pastels, I could hardly do COLOUR LAYING INTO COLOUR and give a report could I, but as I never thought of it anyway, I never did it.

So that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

But in all honesty I feel I have done OK and have achieved what I set out to do, in bringing you a very simple review with simple tests on different surfaces using a variety of Soft Pastels.

Nothing more nothing less.

But on a more positive side, I have had two very nice people, say they are really enjoying my simple tests and I underline the word simple, and it's all just for fun, anyway.

So thank you glad some one is enjoying my very plain but simple reviews.

And as I'm not an Artist and never claimed to be, just a guy who enjoys messing about with Pastels.

So I will carry on, untill we finish group four and five, then I will be gone into the night.LOL.

Perhaps never to be seen again.LOL.

NOW DON'T ALL SHOUT HOORAY.

THAT'S NOT NICE LOL.

YES SORRY I DO HATE SQUARE PASTELS it's not just my sence of humour.

I just cant work with them.

So with that said and done onwards and upwards and onto my next review.

Diane Townsend Terrage Soft Pastel.

The first thing you notice about this Pastel is it's strange shape, reminds me of a eraser you used at school for rubbing out your mistakes, especialyy if you were like me, and no good at Maths.LOL.

I really didn't like this Pastel at all due to it's horrible shape horrible paper label, which was a pain to remove.

I found it very gritty and hard in use, a lot more infact, than the Terry Ludwig Sample, but it wasn't dusty at all and comes from a big American Family so plenty of choice if this is your thing and a range of intresting colours, so as I say plenty of choice.

So on with my very boring and ver sinple tests, but here we go anyway.

With the W&N TINTS both PRIMED and NOT Primed achieved an OK blend with FINGERS AND COLOUR SHAPERS as I did with The Bockingford Watercolour Paper both PRIMED AND NOT PRIMED.

The PRIMER I used was ART SPECTRUM FINE TOOTH CLEAR PASTEL PRIMER, excellent stuff.

With The Multimedia Art Board results were excellent as always giving A SUPERB EXCELLENT COVERAGE.

Again with The FISHER 400 ART PAPER I had the usual struggle with both Fingers and Colour Shapers, to achieve A Good Blend but this as been the same story through out this review.

As for value for money make your own mind up, but I wouldn't thank you for a box of these Pastels, but for you they may be a dream come true.LOL.

Try them and see.

Apologies for my unusual lack of entusiasim with this review, but some people just annoy me beyond the pale, as the saying goes.

YOU CAN PLEASE SOME OF THE PEOPLE SOME OF THE TIME : BUT YOU CANT PLEASE ALL THE PEOPLE : ALL OFF THE TIME.LOL

See Ya Tommorrow, and as always, The Good Lord Willing.
Cheers.
tony.ALIASE.BOSE.

BruceF
01-02-2008, 01:50 PM
:rolleyes: You totally missed the point of these unique pastels. Diane's Terrages contain pumice (the 'grit' you complain of) to open up the paper surface for more layering than with 'regular' pastels. They feel totally different on a heavy watercolor paper where regular pastels can only put down a few layers. They do not work well on sanded surfaces. For that, you might want to try Diane's soft and/or thin-line pastels. Although even these contain some pummice and some may find 'gritty'. http://townsendpastels.com

BTW, people might find your 'reviews' more helpful if we knew something about you, your art, and how you work. All of these will impact your point of view and would provide a reference point.