PDA

View Full Version : Honor the SF Tiger

barbara-in-color
01-02-2008, 08:54 AM
I am thinking of starting a project to honor the SF tiger that was killed recently.
The zoo is being sued by the "victims" Perhaps we could all donate art to be auctioned to help the zoo raise funds to protect the animals fromt he people who visit the zoo.

I am going to start a tiger piece. We could do trading cards, paintings, mosaics, whatever... Who is with me?

beautifulbay
01-02-2008, 09:02 AM
Hi Barbara,
Did they ever find out for sure if the tiger was being harassed by these men? I haven't seen an update on the story in a while, been too busy. This entire story is just horrible. I think your idea is a good one, I would like more info on it all before I give you an answer here. I'll have to go look it all up. What a sad situation.

barbara-in-color
01-02-2008, 10:18 AM
I may be jumping to conclusions, but this morning the news said that slingshots and vodka were found that were believed to belong to the human victims. I am generally mad at the human race for the way we treat animals and the environment. I will try to channel that anger into my art and donate some money to those helping animals.
Thanks for listening.

beautifulbay
01-02-2008, 01:46 PM
There are a lot of things that make me mad too, a lot of things that are very sad and destructive happen to animals on our account...however, there are also a lot of good people on this earth too, those that work hard to help animals, those that work with animals, and those that understand the sacrifice that some animals give to us in order to improve our lives. So I do not lump all people into a bad category when something such as this happens. I like to get the truth as to what happened and then go by what I find. I think if I were suddenly attacked out of the blue by an animal at a zoo, I would also sue the zoo....however, if I created that problem by harassing an animal and being cruel, well....I deserve whatever is coming. I believe that what happened to these men is nothing different and cannot make a decision based on facts I do not know. This tiger attacked it's keeper in the past as well, another story I only know parts of. As much as I love animals, I believe we also need to protect each other first and foremost. The human race is well deserving of love from us too, so to be fair to this delicate situation, we just need to have the facts before jumping into any conclusions and not be lead by what our hearts first try to tell us. Anger is not a wrong emotion to have, but I try not to let it lead me into any wrong decisions based on something I know nothing about. :)

winecountry
01-03-2008, 01:07 AM
If you look deeply into the current management of the zoo, you may decide raising money for them is not something you really want to do...they have lost over 200 years of experience from very talented long term keepers and others leaving or being forced out in the last 2 years, because of an arrogant, sloppy and uncaring higher mangement...working conditions currently are very bad...May want to put this on hold until some new management shows up...I live here and so am maybe more in touch with the thing.

just my two cents worth
colleen

barbara-in-color
01-03-2008, 10:17 AM
Ok, I will put my idea on hold. But I still fee very badly about an animal on the edge of extiction having to be put to sleep in this situation. The situation is heartbreaking and I have a feeling that the young men involved must have done something to provoke the animal.

betsymn
01-03-2008, 10:28 AM
The SF zoo does have big problems, losing staff and losing animals. From what I've read and heard, the administration is really mismanaging it by placing the dollar foremost, which is sad for the animals and the people who really care for them. I only hope this changes things there, otherwise that tiger's death (and it wasn't put to sleep, it was shot by the police officers) is for nothing.

wildart129
01-03-2008, 09:24 PM
I've always defended zoos when people talk about it being a prison for animals. I believe that a good zoo keeps the animals safe and happy and the public safe and happy. A good zoo always should put education about wild animals before entertainment, unlike what a circus does. The most important thing for a zoo to remember is that those animals are 100% wild, no matter if they were raised by humans, bred and born in captivity, they are wild through and through. I don't know very much about the incident; but putting the animal to sleep was the wrong thing to do, especially if the animal was being teased and treated wrongly. The zoo is being sued by the victims, thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard. You take a job working with wild animals thats always a risk your going to take.

Honestly in an ideal world there should be no zoos, animals should be able to live in the wild where they belong. But we don't live in that world, we have zoos, and animals in captivity, and we have to give them the care we owe them. We took them from the wild and placed them in zoos, and we have the responsibility now to care for them properly. Many zoos are breeding endangered species, trying to keep these animals alive that no longer will exist in the wild in the next twenty years. I've always been impressed with the work sea world does for marine mammals.

Something else that should be mentioned and discussed is wild animals as personal pets.

beautifulbay
01-03-2008, 10:07 PM
The zoo is being sued by the victims, thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard. You take a job working with wild animals thats always a risk your going to take.

wildart, I agree with you completely, however the victims were not keepers, they were visitors. I don't really doubt that they provoked the tiger and because of that there are 2 deaths, a man's and the tiger's, a young female named Tatiana....I don't know the man's name. 2 other young men were mauled severely, but survived.
The tiger was also not shot just because they found her....she was beside the 2nd victim and as they approached her, she attacked the downed man again, biting at his head. They shot her because it was their only choice, and since police officers do not carry tranquilizer darts, it was all they could do....or react to. It is a real horrible shame. But given the situation, understandable....what if that downed victim were a child?

They seem to think that the tiger was being teased and an adrenaline rush helped it to get over the surrounding wall. This sounds very believable to me and I have also heard that the law suit won't make it very far. That is good, if the teasing stories are true. I don't feel bad for anyone doing something so cruel and stupid as to torment a tiger.

I also believe in the good zoos do, that is why every zoo should be under professional and caring management at all times. The animals should always be the zoo's first priority, but sadly we live in a world of money and animals have always taken the blunt because of it. Then we turn aroud and have to spend millions of dollars on "species survival programs"...it makes no sense. If they just used their brains in the beginning and had respect for wildlife as we should.......blah blah blah....this is a frustrating subject....all in all zoos are great to have. SF should be very ashamed of its zoo right now if the management has been so careless. I truly hope these animals get put into better hands.

skappy
01-31-2009, 01:50 AM
Hi
i do not know the story but it sounds badi m affraid the letter SF means San Francisco i was there 2 months ago and took picts and filmed the tigers they were ok but anything can happens anywhere
i hate what humans do to animals hopefully they are nt all like that after the sad story go there http://www.parc-des-felins.com/
i went the animals are loved of couse it is not freedom but most have been rescued from bad treatement or poachers smugglers and some to reproduce to be put back in the wild[ which is almost utopia because they ll encounter the same danger that make them disappear]
this parc is hudge the animals have a lot of space they have all kind of cats if you pass by go and see it
Robert