View Full Version : didn't pay attention when purchasing...

01-01-2008, 06:16 PM
my oil pastels.

I just recenty started using op's and I really like them. I was using cray-pas expressionists (a set I bought for an art class when I was in 10th grade - like...5 or 6 years ago, haha). Well I bought some Holbein ops, thinking they were artist grade, and they are in fact the round, student grade ones. My question is did I upgrade at all? Or did I just buy the same quality? haha. The place I got them from didn't have the square ones, and the store is 4 hours from here so I can't return them right now.


Shirl Parker
01-01-2008, 07:11 PM
I bought a dozen Holbeins, and I'm wondering if they are student grade also. Not square. I know Jane and Pat think they are great, but based on these I couldn't agree.


Pat Isaac
01-01-2008, 07:19 PM
The square ones are the professional grade Holbeins, and the round ones are the student grade. There is a difference, and I'm surprised that the store didn't specify. They usually do. Anyway, I would guess they might be a little better quality than the expressionists, but can't say for sure as I have never used them. Experiment with them a little and see what results you can get, unless you want to wait and return them.


01-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Shirl, as Pat says, the round Holbeins are the student grade. Look in my Getting Started in Oil Pastel thread at the top of the Forum where I have a photo of the square versions, which are the professional grade. I also explicitly state there "Please note, to avoid purchasing their student grade OPs by mistake: Holbein makes a student grade which are round in shape."

Kae, I have no experience with the student grade, but I'm sure you will be much happier if you get the professional grade. Jane

Shirl Parker
01-01-2008, 07:49 PM
:o I probably read that, and then forgot. :o


01-01-2008, 09:12 PM
You can always use inexpensive oil pastels as a base coat for your better oil pastels as your painting progresses. Just as people use hard pastels as a base for soft pastels. Good Luck.

01-01-2008, 11:13 PM
Here's what the two types of Holbeins look like.

Student grade (shown is the 48-count set with their box):

Artist grade (shown are 6 hue quintets from the 225-count wooden-box set):

The student Holbeins are much harder than the artist Holbeins. Whether you made an outright bad purchase or whether they are better than the Expressionists, I don't know. But for what it's worth, I made the same mistake starting out, which is why I can show you this comparison.

Shirl Parker
01-01-2008, 11:33 PM
Lucky for me, I only bought 12 sticks to try. Now I know why I didn't like them, and can get a few of the good ones to try. With a full set of the Sennelier, I'm in good shape anyway.

Thanks, Shirl

01-02-2008, 01:13 AM
I also explicitly state there "Please note, to avoid purchasing their student grade OPs by mistake: Holbein makes a student grade which are round in shape."

I did read that part after I had bought mine, haha. Which is why I wondered if I just moved along the same line of quality rather than stepping up at all. Looks like I just kept the same quality under a different name.

I haven't decided whether to use them or to wait and return them. I'm still learning and don't have a lot of money, so the student grade I have now are better than nothing, at least. The store I'd be returning them to doesn't carry the professional grade (if they do, there's none on display). I'll see how things pan out, and I'll just hold on to them for now. Good thing I'm a packrat and keep receipts xp

Thanks everyone ^^;

Pat Isaac
01-02-2008, 09:17 AM
I'd keep working at it and I remember the sketch of the small pot you did. It was nicely done with a nice painterly feel.


01-27-2008, 02:15 AM
I experimented with sqaure chalk pastels, but not the oil ones. Well, I used the round oil ones, but that's it. Well... depending on how you like your media to work, it depends. I'm sure most prefere the "higher" grade, but as one or two (whoever said it) said, just experiment with things. See which ones you are the most comfortable with.

01-28-2008, 12:08 PM
The round Holbeins are similar to Expressionists, a bit waxier.
They are ok if you aren't layering much, or for the underneath layers. I've seen them used well in mixed media, such as collage.