PDA

View Full Version : Self taught educational resources

annepropst
01-01-2008, 08:32 AM
I am curious...where have those of you who did not study art in college or under a professional find your best resources to improve your techniques? I find that this web site is filled with information. Are there others you would suggest or books, dvds? Classes at art stores? :confused:What resource led to the most improvement in your pastel technique?

Pat Isaac
01-01-2008, 10:00 AM
You pose an interesting question, anne. I did go to art school in college, but over the years I continued to take classes at local art associations and even some night classes. I was always trying to learn more about various media. One thing that helped me greatly was my years of teaching public school. I had to keep learning new techniques, new media, new skills to bring it to the students. Books are a great resource. As far as oil pastel goes, I struggled with the media myself as I don't know anyone around here who uses oil pastel. I have found that learning about color, composition, and drawing carry through to all medias.

Pat

LJW
01-01-2008, 10:50 AM
I didn't study art at school. I did later take some art classes at night, which helped with some of the general ideas of drawing, composition, etc. I've been a member of the North Light Book Club for some years and have bought lots of how-to books. I started to paint in watercolour but never mastered the medium. I gave up painting after a while, feeling that I wasn't getting anywhere. Then, I tried acrylics, followed by watersoluble oils, but it wasn't until I found out about oil pastels here at Wet Canvas a year-and-a-half ago that I felt I had found a medium that really worked for me. I think Wet Canvas is a fabulous source of knowledge and the best way to learn if you don't have access to live instruction. I have recently bought some instructional DVD's for oil painting, which are helpful in seeing how painters actually mix paint and use brushes. Unfortunately there aren't any videos or DVD's for oil pastels. Jane

wabbitt
01-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Hi Anne,

If I didn't have access to such a fantastic resource as night classes at the local community college I would certainly be searching out seminars and art store classes. I have also taken no credit "continuing education" art classes given through city parks & recreation, as well as the college which are nice for getting you started in a different style or medium. All this has certainly been reinforced in all the different forums here on Wetcanvas.

I know myself, I am a hands-on person. I must see something done live and ask questions to internalize new instruction. So I don't collect art instruction books or DVD/videos. Anything else is researched on the internet, taken with a grain of salt, and experimented.

Mz_Sketch_Pad
01-03-2008, 11:26 AM
I didn't go to a formal art school either. Around town there were drawing, watercolor and acrylic classes. So I took them. I also bought a lot of books- Drawing From the Right Brain was especially helpful, I did the excercises. I go to the library and literally stare at artwork and study the brush strokes. PBS has has a PBS EDU channel that shows art shows. The main thing I did when I was in the class I asked tons of questions and then I would go home and practice, practice, practice. I am still learning. Hey I learn alot from this website wetcanvas!

Pat Isaac
01-03-2008, 03:56 PM
It's true. WC is a fount of information.

Pat

annepropst
01-03-2008, 04:16 PM
I agree that WC is amazing and I also have learned a lot. No one mentioned the oil pastel society. Do you find this to be a resource as well?

Pat Isaac
01-03-2008, 04:20 PM
Definitely, yes. Especially in the oil pastel primer.

Pat