PDA

View Full Version : Potrait:" Star Child"

AliciaS
12-29-2007, 07:39 PM
Thanks to RIL for this one...nu-pastels and.. some soft ones on suedematboard 13x20,,

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Dec-2007/118892-IMG_0866.JPG

nana b
12-29-2007, 07:52 PM
Alicia, I want to say that I think your portraits and figures are sensational! I love the style you paint in!

nana

palettetalk
12-29-2007, 08:00 PM
Awesome!
Cheers,
susan

Gail V
12-29-2007, 08:40 PM
WOW!!! Absolutely amazing! I wish I had your "eye"!!! :)

maggie latham
12-29-2007, 09:22 PM
Alicia,
Beautiful! Lovely expression. I really like it.
Maggie

rhapsodyerin
12-29-2007, 09:35 PM
Wow!:clap: Another great portrait. I just marvel at the loose style and colors. I just love the backlighting. Happy New Year. Barbara

amandanator
12-29-2007, 09:52 PM
I swear you could paint a rock and make it look alive! I love the backlighting. She just sparkles - the whole painting sparkles.

Once again, a beautiful piece. :thumbsup:

Mandy

water girl
12-29-2007, 10:25 PM
You clever lady! No matter what you paint, it's spectacular! I'm drawn to those sultry eyes. It makes me wonder just what she is thinking.
Happy New Year to you, Alicia.

David Patterson
12-30-2007, 12:30 AM
WOW!!! Absolutely amazing! I wish I had your "eye"!!! :)

Ditto that Alicia...lovely work, as always!

David

pastellar
12-30-2007, 07:47 AM
Superb, as always, Alicia!

AliciaS
12-30-2007, 09:48 AM
Thank you everyone!! I picked this photo in the Ril because of the backlighting..its very hard not to get carried away with the lights on the hair, i hope i didn't,, but i knew that the lighting was the center of interest in this piece...it was a hard balance...i think having the background rather light around her helped the transition from the hair to the background become gradual and not look like a cut out....thanks again for her kind words!!!:heart:

Felefranz
12-30-2007, 10:40 AM
What a beautiful style and the colors are great. I love it.
Marco

Alessandra Rosi
12-30-2007, 10:49 AM
Wonderful, as all of your work. Your style is special!
Alessandra

Donna T
12-30-2007, 12:29 PM
Holey Moley! That girl is alive! Awesome work, Alicia!!!!

Donna

BetsyPriesing
12-30-2007, 12:59 PM
Alicia your my hero!!!!! i love your portraits!!!!

Paula Ford
12-30-2007, 01:35 PM
Ditto Ditto Ditto..... WOW!!

Paula

WC Lee
12-30-2007, 02:22 PM
another beautiful portrait :)

Colorix
12-30-2007, 05:58 PM
Oh my...! Wow! I think this is *the* best I've seen from you -- so far. There is this incredible 3D effect -- while the background is light and glowing, it recedes a lot, and then the warm browns in her hair not only pop, they burst out of the monitor! *And* you succeeded in rounding her head, recede it in space by the lights on her hair. Alicia, you must be painting with holigraphic pastels! Stunning!

AliciaS
12-30-2007, 06:30 PM
Thank you everyone!! I posted this also in Portraiture..I got a great comment about how it looks too busty at the bottom...so I gave her a breast reduction! The critique was right on.. i didn't even notice that before.....here is the new version....

AliciaS
12-30-2007, 06:32 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Dec-2007/118892-IMG_0869.JPG New Version.

Donna T
12-30-2007, 06:46 PM
So she can't be a Playboy bunny...she's still beautiful. I really admire how the parts that are away from her face have the loosest strokes. This really is an amazing portrait, so full of life and energy!

Donna

AliciaS
12-30-2007, 06:50 PM
I know Donna, I could have left it. But...all i saw after that were those big bazookas!!! and that really wasn't my intention! maybe in another piece...a pin up version!!

PaulaT
12-30-2007, 06:53 PM
Wow!!!!! I really dont even know what to say, other than Ditto to all that was said. You are so incredibly talented.

Frances Obie
12-30-2007, 07:14 PM
You really capture the inner life of your subjects.
A beautiful portrait.
Frances

tsumeb
12-30-2007, 07:41 PM
Truly excellent. Powerful portrait. Bravo

David

bnoonan
12-30-2007, 08:33 PM
Positively love this - great energy with the strokes - and intense stare gives it marvelous compositional elements and your colors are rich.

Outstanding!

Barb:)

Deborah Secor
12-30-2007, 08:34 PM
I'm so glad you reduced her bust, Alicia. Muuuuuch better to my way of thinking. She is gorgeous.

I wish you would shoot some very close shots of her eyes and the skin tones on her face for us to see... I'd like to know how you achieve that shine in her eye, not to mention the softness of the skin. How about firing up the digital on macro-zoom for us?

Deborah

Diana_pastels
12-30-2007, 09:47 PM
Alicia, what can I say that hasn't already been said? Another amazing portrait from you! I too, would love to see some close-ups. I could sit for hours and study your work. Truly beautiful!
Diana

sielograms
12-30-2007, 10:06 PM
Alicia, What a beauty, by that I mean your painting. I was also thinking how the yellow at the bottom was making me look away from the face, but you have taken care of that nicely. I was going to suggest possibly cropping it. Maybe just hold your hand over the lower portion to see what you think. I love the loose style and all the those luminous colors!! Well done indeed. Sharon

Tracer
12-31-2007, 02:20 AM
Alicia, this portrait is beautiful! I don't even know what to say that everyone hasn't already said about the backlighting and such, other than....just love it! Oh and like Deborah mentioned...close ups are always a good thing!

*Marina*
12-31-2007, 11:12 AM
Another beauty Alicia. I so admire you style.

AliciaS
12-31-2007, 02:43 PM
Here are some close ups...http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Dec-2007/118892-IMG_0870.JPG

Lynn Quinn
12-31-2007, 02:49 PM
Beautiful! I agree with Mandy about the backlighting!

AliciaS
12-31-2007, 03:00 PM
that is as close as i can get it on the forum...i don't know how to change the size of the macro close ups to fit :( :cat: ....anyway.. i hope the one is good enough..thanks again to everyone for your supportive comments..i hope you can see some of the colors i used in the skin and eyes..i used a very light green for the highlights on the skin and the sparkles in the eyes are cool lights even a turqoise color....and a couple of warmer highlights too...more on the creamy side...:cat:

binkie
12-31-2007, 03:21 PM
Absolutely stunning!!!

binkie

lilypads
01-01-2008, 05:12 AM
Absolutely lovely painting!!!! Enjoyed your website and will be studying your style of painting.

mang
01-01-2008, 05:23 AM
Really lovely lighting, composition and technique. The flesh colours are spot on, great loose style. Very lively, well done!

sielograms
01-01-2008, 08:46 AM
Alicia, Do you mostly work on the suedematboard? Have you used velour board? If so, how does it compare with that? I am always experimenting with different supports, but have not tried the suede. I did not like the velour as it seemed the pastel fell off quite easily. Also, do you use any fixative? Thanks.
Sharon

Alecto
01-01-2008, 10:36 AM
I've come into this thread three or four times with the intention of posting, but I never knew what to say. I don't know if you inspire me or demoralize me. :)

I think the thing that astounds me the most is that you used Nupastels. I keep telling myself that the reason I can't get those loose, blend-y strokes is that I need softer pastels, or that I need better supports (well, I do need better supports), but then you come along with some of the hardest pastels out there and produce this. I'm floored.

Clearly, I just need to go practice more (on better paper). Okay, I think the needle just swung away from demoralized and settled on inspired. :) Thank you for showing this.

tURBOCAT
01-01-2008, 11:39 AM
Stunning!!!

AliciaS
01-01-2008, 12:15 PM
Sielograms:I started on velour paper when i first started pastels, but the suede matboard is so much better. it really holds on to the pigments. And i don't use fixative.. i love the suede board. its all i paint on..
Alecto:I use only nu-pastels on the face and skin features..but the clothes and background are a mix of hard and soft..the suede matboard i think works well with the nu-pastels,,sometimes the softies go on too strong..
I hope this infor helps..thanks again everyone or kind remarks:heart: :heart:

Galdor
01-01-2008, 08:44 PM
I really admire your realism achieved through the loose flowing style. It is also amazing that the the closeup shows the warm shadow color on the face is actually composed of exciting blues, violets and greens, striking a perfect balance between warm and cool colors.

Can you tell me how long it takes you to do this painting?

AliciaS
01-02-2008, 08:37 AM
Galdor, I am almost embarrassed to say.. only because i could take longer to really look at some areas and work on (i.e. the bust area in the beginning) a painting this size i complete in one sitting about 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours.. and then i usually tweak it here and there after that for a couple days which may take a few minutes to an hour depending on the problem i see,,i like to finish a painting in one sitting and then leave it alone for a few days and look at it off and on and then make adjustments..the suede matboard really only lets you do so many layers..and you really can't use fixative..so if i overwork an area and can't get it, i have to stop...and then its on to another painting!!

Orchidacea
01-02-2008, 09:30 AM
Utterly, utterly gorgeous! And you do it in just a few hours? Amazing! What I wouldn't give to be able to paint that quickly (and that well)!

AliciaS
01-02-2008, 12:48 PM
Kim- I think spending alot of time on a piece can drive you crazy...and get you so deep into doing an exact replica that you forget that you are doing a representation of something.. my desire in the future is to be more accurate but simply applied..and suggested...although i certainly appreciate super realism, that is not my direction...in fact..i would love to be looser..i too get caught up in the little details too much sometimes....

Merethe T
01-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Incredible portrait, it glows!!! I love the backlight, and everything is of course - superb. Amazing!

Merethe

IdahoHat
01-02-2008, 05:19 PM
Alicia - after all the previous comments, I have nothing to say except to add my dittos. If you weren't way down there in California, I would be taking your classes. I am working on a commission now and want to get the freshness and life I see in your work.

AliciaS
01-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Harriet, I do believe painting a little faster helps to keep it loose,however, so does loosing edges, and bringing each part of the painting into the adjoining areas...also leaving areas to the imagination so to speak, an example in this piece would be the front of her dress....all i did there was scumble some shapes and made sure my values were in the right areas and use of warm and cools...i do this in alot of my paintings mainly at the bottom and away from the center of interest..my shapes are directional though, i try to lead the viewers eyes back up to the center of interest...hope this helps in your commisssion....good luck!!

IdahoHat
01-03-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks, Alicia. I painted with a friend today and worked on my commission and one of the things I worked on was to lose some edges like the back of the neck into the shadows. Trying to "lead the viewers eyes back up the the center interest" is of great help. Thanks. When it's finished, I'll post a picture on WC.

Mike_Beeman
01-04-2008, 09:11 AM
Alicia...Beautiful!

Jancee
01-10-2008, 09:01 PM
You make portraits so exciting! The highlights are perfect.
Jan C.

annepropst
01-23-2008, 05:40 PM
Alicia,
you mention suede matboard. Can you tell us the colors and the brand name you like. I am going to try to see if I like better than Wallis but want to take advantage of your knowledge.

AliciaS
01-23-2008, 06:52 PM
Hi Anne. I posted in Pastel Talk some of the basic things i do in my workshops. its under the title The Way I Paint. My favorite brands of suede mattboard are either Crescent or Bainbridge. And i use a neutral color warm i.e. tumbleweed, sand or beige color..

bchlvr
01-23-2008, 07:36 PM
Gorgeous! Love your style.

annepropst
01-24-2008, 08:38 AM
thanks alicia. I found that thread in pastel talk and it is amazing. You are so helpful. I am off to Cheap Joes to buy some suede matboard!

Tom Christopher
01-24-2008, 09:13 AM
Really outstanding work-a pleasure to view and study --Tom

bruce johnson
01-24-2008, 04:46 PM
Stunning work Alicia .. you are most definitely one of my favorite portrait artists..:clap: :clap: :clap:

maw-t
01-24-2008, 07:35 PM
I bet you would LOVE it here in the High Plains of TX (well, um..er... maybe u have relatives u need to visit?).... & I betcha I could get a workshop together in a heartbeat ! This is just breathtaking!

Artaholic
01-24-2008, 11:49 PM
All I can say is Ditto!!:clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

JamieWG
01-25-2008, 11:09 AM
Beautifully done, and I like the unfinished look you've left surrounding the face.

Jamie