PDA

View Full Version : Knife Lion

tgsloth
12-29-2007, 12:09 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-29-2007/124239_Impasto_Lion.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Knife Lion
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12x16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This little painting took an hour to draw as the lion's face was somehow hard to capture (wore out an eraser). But when I had the underdrawing, I threw paint on with a knife and impasto medium and finished the piece in another hour so it's one of those happy times when the painting comes together quickly.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I'm interested in all comments as reactions I've got quite varying reactions from local friends. I quite like the painting and it sold in a few hours at a good price. A professional painter friend only said that I should have all my pallette knives confiscated. One other more nuanced criticism was that the left and right sides of the painting separated too abruptly in terms of value.

kathrynlovespets
12-29-2007, 12:27 PM
i have to say that the knife seems to produce very lovely textures...

this is absolutely beautiful...great colors and texture..I'm glad you included the lilac and olive colors on the bottom left

the black background really makes the lioness stand out

allanom
12-29-2007, 12:52 PM
It's very nicely done in a lot of respects, however the hard static design of the top of the head and ears doesn't work, IMHO, with the beautiful looseness of the knife technique -- makes the head look like some kind of urn, with the ears as handles. If you could break up the symmetry and hard edge and static shapes of the ears (the dark, simple oval shapes of the insides of the ears make it seem like one is looking through the ears to the background), I think it would really help what is a very nicely realized piece.

tgsloth
12-29-2007, 04:08 PM
Great critique! I wish now I'd gone for lost edges on the ears and I should have downplayed the sort of punk hairdo in the middle. I used to be a volunteer zoo director in Nevada and snapped this lion (who's named Sierra) and she had apparently been hitting the hair gel. But that didn't mean I had to paint it.

Corby
12-29-2007, 07:12 PM
The comments in critique are one and all valid...still...the image is in the eye of the artist and rules are made to be broken ( when it comes to art). The success of a painting can be measured by the love/ hate it receives, and of course people will not pay money for what appears defective or substandard. So there is the sale as a measure as well. Sometime an image evokes academics and emotions that go beyond what is pictured. For me this has a depth and background of ancient Mayan culture and other related cultures artistically speaking. Allanom picked up on this as well. This lioness stares out at us from ages past...

creodont
12-29-2007, 10:05 PM
Ages past? not me I just saw one recently at a rescue center and looked hungry. I can see what allonom said of the top of the head. It looks like I could pick it up by the ears as a vase but again is this the technique involved. The expression says it all and demands attention as all cats do and get...............NICE.......john

Lyneth
12-30-2007, 01:07 AM
Cool! I really like your style.

KYRed
12-30-2007, 06:13 AM
Ha ha. Knives confiscated. That was funny. Hey, try doing this with fingers instead of knives and see what your artist friend says then. lol. Your lion looks a bit irritated. Something I see in most cats. You captured the disgust cats seem to feel about humans very well. I like the various colors you used. I am glad you are not constrained.

tgsloth
12-30-2007, 09:50 AM
I hesitate to risk having my fingers confiscated but you've made me think of a new forum for Wet Canvas. Fingerpainting!