PDA

View Full Version : Work in progress without a composition in mind

Aselka
12-29-2007, 03:09 AM
Hello,
I just started a new work. I do not have a clear composition in mind. These are portraits of my friends/co-eds (reference photos attached as well). I plan to add few more people to the painting and call it something like "students/ workers/office" etc.

25"x19" on Canson, W&N, Neva

Any suggestions and critique are most welcome.

Thank you for viewing

Aselka

P.s. Sorry I think this thread belongs to the W. studio. I will ask moderator to move it to the right subforum.

painterbear
12-29-2007, 06:15 AM
Hi Aselka,

You've got a good likeness on both your subjects.

I think it would be nice to add a little color around their neck area to suggest the dress or suit would be nice. The heads look a little disembodied as they are now, and if you add more heads it will only be more disquieting to see heads floating around. ;)

Sylvia

Aselka
12-29-2007, 01:57 PM
Thank you, Sylvia.
Two heads do look like Medusa for now. I have not decided what garb I should dress them in, modern casual or something more exotic, ethnic. That is problem when I feel like painting but do not know what and why.

Aselka
12-30-2007, 02:02 AM
an update. I added another friend to the painting and started working on a background.
Critique and suggestions are welcome.

Yorky
12-31-2007, 03:59 AM
This is coming along great!

Doug

lyn lynch
12-31-2007, 11:34 AM
I don't understand the dark water marks around their heads. Is your perspective right? Did the originals all start out at the same percentage?

Aselka
12-31-2007, 07:57 PM
Hi fookie. Dark watermarks: I outlined faces with Paynes Gray in order to establish skin tones. I plan to overpaint it. I use grays and blue as underpaint and then paint over it. Perspective: I do not know if it is right. I still do not have a concept for this painting. Originals are all different, but I do not really follow originals, except for capturing the likeness.

My inspiration for this painting was works by Pavel Zaltsman, the Russian painter who lived and created a lot of his works in my city.

Here few of his works
http://pavelzaltsman.org/pic/z_500zwet_21.jpg

http://pavelzaltsman.org/pic/molodost.jpg

Thank You for viewing and your comments! Happy New Year, All!

CharM
01-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Hi Aselka... I always enjoy your work, but this really is a different concept for you... because you don't know where this is taking you, I don't know what to say... You have captured the likenesses of your subjects, that's true...

I'm going to sit back and watch... :)

Dale Ziegler
01-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Nice work, but the next time why don't you work out the composition first.

No matter hqw well a subject is painted , if the composition is bad, the painting will be bad too.

Aselka
01-02-2008, 03:57 AM
Thank You CharM and Dale for your nice comments. I myself do not recommend to anyone painting without composition. It is just too confusing. I usually work on composition. This is one of the a rare times when i do know what I want.

Finally i came up with a background. It is...tulips, in a way symbolic for Central Asians. I painted them by wiping away excess paint to define shapes. I plan to add two more people and work on garb, define faces more (ears, etc.)

Thank You for viewing, as always critique is welcome.

painterbear
01-02-2008, 06:29 AM
Now that you have added the background and suggestion of clothing, it is starting to hang together more.

I think you need to add more hair on the top of the head on the girl in the lower corner. It looks unfinished at this time.

Sylvia

JudiPatooti
01-02-2008, 08:28 PM
If the two more people you still plan to add are friends of yours perhaps this will simply be a personal piece holding fond memories of people you care about. And to me that seems like a wonderful reason to make a painting.

That, and enjoying the process makes it all worthwhile! :) It's looking good so far!!

Judi

Aselka
01-06-2008, 03:19 AM
Thank You very much Sylvia and Judi for your comments.
The girl in the corner is unfinished for now. I plan to wash some paint off from her temple and repaint it.

It is definately a personal painting, I am relaxed about it, but I still want it to look more or less together and good.
I planned to add two more people, but there is no...space, so I added moi and that's it. I am working on it. Here is the progress.
Thank You for viewing and critique is always welcome.