PDA

View Full Version : Meeting relatives after 3 hours in the airport bar

tgsloth
12-28-2007, 11:53 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-28-2007/124239_Relatives_at_Airport.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Meeting relatives after 3 hours in the airport bar
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Mixed-Media
Surface: Board
Dimension: 15x22
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is an experimental work with a number of first time techniques. I started with Sennelier pastel board which is rather delicate. The sanded areas detach easily. I flooded the board with a lot of water, which caused it to start to come apart, and quickly laid in a background with Gouache. No reason for chosing this paint; I just had some around. Once the Gouache had dried, I accentuated it with pastel and put in the figures. The title gives it an amusing narrative. People viewing it have generally liked it but it hasn't sold (hey, it's not a sunset). A couple of critiques I've collected are (a) the perspective of the overhead lights is wrong and (b) the bottom center is too white. I've rejected the first critique as I didn't want the piece too accurate. The second critique could well be right, in my view. One is never sure unless the piece is re-done and sometimes that doesn't even convince!

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I'm most interested in overall (gestalt) reactions as I think this sort of work doesn't depend too much on the details.

D.W. Flint
12-29-2007, 12:17 AM
I like it as it is. The title says it all. Good one...:thumbsup:

ejtupi
12-29-2007, 12:30 AM
I would move the creepy black object from the right side to the center of the converging lines...let that be one of the relatives who has driven you to drink enough to face them...maybe put a spectral glow on the object....

This is reading more like a subway station with a passing train, but I guess you didn't say you met them at the airport, only that you spent 3 hours in the bar there...

Pretty striking near-abstract image, overall. I'm not bothered at all about any distortions of perspective or excess whiteness. I think you're right, this piece doesn't rely on accuracy of details.

KYRed
12-29-2007, 01:49 AM
3 AM. What a blurry time for most people. Not me though. I am just coming alive at 3 AM in my studio. But yes, you captured the feeling of being up at such a late/early hour very well.

creodont
12-29-2007, 02:51 AM
Well done but that creepy black object Ejtupi mentioned scares the well you know out of me. I do not like dark voids. This piece is original and neat to have mixed media work well together. I get a lot of movement and blurred reactions for a time period I do know a lot about except in dream land......john

toraman
12-29-2007, 05:07 AM
I once had tried to paint something quite similar to this one but ruined it and changed to an abstract. I like this one but as others I wouldnt buy this, the colors and the way the strokes are done doesnt attract me

tgsloth
12-29-2007, 09:16 AM
Regarding the "subway tunnel" comment, this is meant to be a corridor down which people are moving towards the viewer. So...that could be part of an airport. I recall now another critical comment which was that the figures right in the center of the corridor could be more clearly depicted. I found that convincing.

tgsloth
12-29-2007, 09:20 AM
Hey, Toramen, I took a look at your website. Very interesting paintings. I think you've got a unique color sense.

kathrynlovespets
12-29-2007, 12:19 PM
haha thats great..great concept...
definitely get a feeling from this of being out of control
it's kind of creepy, in the very center of the intersection of the x..there is a dark "creature"...with eyes..

Aselka
12-29-2007, 02:33 PM
I like the idea behind the painting a lot. Because it is not a realism, as you mentioned details do not matter, but light matters and perspective to a certain point is important in order to create an atmosphere of a place. Focal point is missing. Light is not there to create points of interest. To me, painting looks scattered. without strong values it looks unfinished.

tgsloth
12-29-2007, 04:04 PM
Thanks for your comments. It seems that "unfinished" would be a criticism but I rather meant it to look that way. You made me realize, however, that I really didn't pay any attention to the origin of the light. I guess it's coming from all the above fixtures and bounces around quite a bit. The lack of a value gradiant and focal point is also really interesting. I think a case can be made for the painting not having either but being a mystery wherein the viewer picks out the figures, and color dabs and ends up with a mysterious feeling. I'm increasingly convinced the floor should be darker so as to move further in that direction.

laudesan
12-29-2007, 07:31 PM
The grim reaper has "caught" that dude in the yellow..

I like this, lots of movement and so different to appeal to me..

JJ