PDA

View Full Version : JANUARY, Invitation to paint SNOW, Gratz, AUSTRIA

Dale Ziegler
12-28-2007, 09:32 PM
B-r-r-r-r.. Winterís here in the Northern hemisphere, So letís thaw out and paint a snow scene, Gerhard has sent us some great shots from near Gratz, Austria. Iím posting several and you can find more in Mikoís gallery in the reference library. Go to Landscapes-winter You can choose just one or you might want to select bits of several and combine them in a composition. Thatís what Iím going to try. Or if you have a favorite snow scene of your own, try that.

Some hints that Iíve learned that may be helpful--
Darken the sky to make the snow whiter.
The shadows are important-- they show the shape of the snow as they are cast on it . Be sure they are falling in the same direction, from ONE light source.
Snow shadows donít have to be only blue. Add hints of other colors for interest.
Adding figures always helps. Possibilities--Hiking, shoveling, cross country skiing, dogs, etc.

Be inventive--MAN YOUR BRUSHES! :clap:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Dec-2007/89779-Winter_in_Austria009.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Dec-2007/89779-Winter_in_Austria007.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Dec-2007/89779-Winter_in_Austria006.JPG

rgb
12-28-2007, 10:07 PM
Fantastic! Thanks for the invitation.

Ah-ha, it's a great way to avoid my horrid green mixtures!

markjuby
12-29-2007, 04:22 AM
Dale

Thanks for another interesting challenge. It ties in nicely with my holiday assignment "The Colours of Winter".

Mark

Natmarie73
12-29-2007, 05:25 AM
Yay! I've been waiting for an excuse to paint a snow scene. I like the top one the best so will try that for starters.

Lin Frye
12-29-2007, 08:46 AM
Wow! These are fantastic! I've not participated in one of these challenges before, but I love these scenes and coming from North Carolina where we're in a drought and rarely get snow anyway, I'd like to give them a try. Thanks too for the painting tips!

ArtsyMom
12-29-2007, 10:10 AM
Hi, Going to give one of the reference photos a try, they are great. Lil :wave:

Violetta
12-29-2007, 10:12 AM
Dale, these are wonderful pictures. I'm going for the first one. Thanks for starting this.

BTW I'm registered for the 3rd week of Landscape painting with Don Andrews at Springmaid. :clap: Are you by any chance going to be there then?

pjartwc
12-30-2007, 06:38 AM
I'm also going with the first. Tiny branches - bare or snow covered are just not my thing.

mobius49
12-30-2007, 06:42 AM
this sounds fun, thanks......

laudesan
12-30-2007, 06:57 AM
What absolutely beautiful ref pics. Oh you have me tempted!!

JJ

wtrclrgrl
12-30-2007, 12:08 PM
I love these pics. Might try for a mixture too!!

Scene Chaser
12-30-2007, 01:43 PM
I like them, too. But I might try cropping and deleting parts to achieve a balanced picture.
Bill

rgb
12-30-2007, 02:13 PM
Bill, many of us crop, delete, and move. Some even add elements, especially cats.

Miko
12-30-2007, 02:18 PM
Thanks, Dale! It is very kind of you to choose my referece photos for your "Invitation to paint for January" and I am very glad to read the friendly reactions of the forum - members:wave: !
Of course it will be a pleasure for me to join you! So far from my reference pics I have painted only one motive: The log - houses in deep snow. I used that painting as my contribution to "Festive greetings" which Brian started on December 17 in "Palette Talking" - so that doesn't count.
I took all those photos when I was cross - country - skiing (most of them near GRAZ (not Gratz) - just a few of them near Salzburg).But Austria is a very small country - so nothing is really "far away".
I am sure that painting in January will be a big big fun!
Gerhard

Scene Chaser
12-30-2007, 06:51 PM
Jenny, I might add a cat just for you.
Bill

Brenda Y
12-30-2007, 07:02 PM
What a terrific challenge! I thought I was going to be the only "first timer" with a challenge until I read some of the other replies! Sounds like a very good group of both newbies and veterans!! I absolutely LOVE all of these ref photos, it will be very difficult to choose just one.

bchlvr
12-30-2007, 08:22 PM
Wow Dale...I'm loving this one...Count me in!

pjartwc
12-31-2007, 08:52 AM
Here is my first attempt.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Dec-2007/116333-Serene_Winter.jpg

Scene Chaser
12-31-2007, 10:38 AM
Nice one, Jan. Really shows distance.
Bill

rgb
12-31-2007, 01:51 PM
Jan, that's beautiful. Love the colors and the way you've shown the depth of the scene.

Natmarie73
01-01-2008, 02:43 AM
Jan, that is beautiful! I love all the colours you have used. I like the way you have done the shadows under the tree, and the foliage of the tree. I had so much trouble with both.

I think I might re-visit mine now...

Violetta
01-01-2008, 10:15 AM
Jan, that is a gorgeous painting! I especially like how you have accomplished such a stunning result with simple techniques. Your snow and foliage are perfect. I only hope mine comes anywhere close when I finally get to it.:thumbsup:

Miko
01-01-2008, 04:13 PM
Jan, your painting is really beautiful! I wish mine had the colors of yours!
And here is mine. I wish I could remove the mountains and the sky. I took a different motive from my gallery - not one of those which Dale has suggested. - I was on the place of my motive yesterday for cross country skiing. So I was very inspired. Bit inspite of that I think one day I will give up mixing greens:lol: !
Gerhard
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2008/112879-CIMG1033.JPG

rgb
01-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Gerhard, that's the one from your gallery that I chose! It's great to see what you have done with the scene. I love the tones you have, and there's nothing wrong with your greens.

I'm planning some horrid greens. Perhaps that plan will give me some decent greens.

Scene Chaser
01-01-2008, 05:36 PM
Gerhard, Nice choice! I love the way you played the snow shadows, and your trees are very nice.
Bill

Violetta
01-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Gerhard those trees are wonderful! And the greens aren't bad either. :) Nice rendition.

bchlvr
01-01-2008, 10:48 PM
Here is my first version. I plan on doing all 3 but started out with this one.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2008/74106-Mountain_Walk.jpg

bchlvr
01-01-2008, 10:50 PM
Jan...I like the colors you used in yours and great depth!

Gerhard...yours has a nice misty quality to it...well done.

Natmarie73
01-02-2008, 05:34 AM
Gerhard, I love that scene. I will check out your gallery further and have a go at that one too I think. I love you got the shadows in the snow just right and I agree that there is nothing wrong with your greens.

bchlvr, You have done a great job on the snowdrift under the tree and your sky shows how it is a bright sunny day.

Anyway, here is my attempt. I ended up cropping most of the base of the tree because I had so much trouble with those shadows.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2008/102503-Winter_in_Graz.jpg

friesin
01-02-2008, 06:02 AM
wonderful photos !!!!

I m going to join in, i ll take number 2 ..
no, I ll take number 3...
or number 1 ???? They ' re all so marvellous and tempting !:clap:

Lin Frye
01-02-2008, 06:55 AM
Morning Everyone!

Here's my attempt ... my first submission to a watercolor challenge here! The photos were fabulous and I may give a go to another one ...http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2008/82363-wc_january_challenge_2.jpg

Lin

rgb
01-02-2008, 09:26 AM
Linn, nice work, and I like your people and dog. All three? That's great! Looking forward to more from you!

Nat, very nice, and I like your creative way of painting by cropping. Works for me!

Lin, isn't this fun!?! Great texture in your snow, and your sky is really nice. Go ahead and do another one!

Brenda Y
01-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Lin,
What a lovely sky, and the shadows on the snow are very well done. I like the grove of distant trees on the left; when I was looking at the ref photos, that is one area I wasn't sure how to approach in a painting. Very nice FIRST challenge on WetCanvas, now I need to try to do mine :)

eagleorr
01-03-2008, 03:46 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2008/109289-mom_and_dad_2007.jpg

Not a good picture. In real life it was nice and clear---I need to work on my photography!!

eagleorr
01-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Jan-very nicely done. I like the shadows.
gerhard- I like your snow covered trees. And the variation in your greens is fine.
linn- great addition of people. I especially like the dog.
Nat- I love the misty quality to yours.
Lin- the shadows in your snow are fantastic.
Here is a scene from last year at my home that I did for my parents for christmas. I am working on a couple of other snow landscapes I will try to get done before the end of January and show them later.

okay, this post was supposed to precede my painting!!
dru

ArtsyMom
01-03-2008, 07:28 PM
I spent the afternoon today painting away the 1 choice I picked and today being a day with frigid temps was perfect for me to attempt these. Lil
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2008/88614-IMG_0035.JPG

rgb
01-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Lil, you certainly picked and rendered a frigid one! Love the way you painted this scene.

Lin Frye
01-04-2008, 08:56 AM
I've been stuck in conferences and student registration so I haven't had a moment to respond -- but I am so much enjoying seeing these beautifully done winter scenes. Here in NC, we're facing tthe worst drought in our history, and so rain, let alone snow, is indeed rare. I love to see how everyone is interpreting the photos ... each has such unique qualities of line, interpretation, color ... I have to say they're all beautiful and well done!!! Keep them coming!!! I'll be off to yet another daylong meeting, and I'm looking foward to this weekend to really be able to study everyone's contribution ...

Lin

Miko
01-04-2008, 10:28 AM
eogleorr: I like the stucture of your tree and it's color. I would add some shodows on the bottom. In the forum you will find a lot of good advice about painting shadows (don't be afraid of that - it's only paper). Where the soil meets the snow I miss something - but I don't know exactly what.
Lin - Linn - Nat - Lil: You have mixed so beautiful colors - it's a pleasure to look at your paintings! My problem is to get a green which is dark enough for trees. So I used Indigo and yellow ochre. That looks great as long it is wet - but once it is dry on the paper you will not recognize it any more!
Nat: I will try this motive this weekend - I'm glad you posted your work. It's very close to the idea I have already in my mind!
Gerhard:wave:

Dale Ziegler
01-04-2008, 12:11 PM
SORRY FOR MY ERROR.. It's GRAZ, Austria, not gratz. Even my spellcheck didn't catch that one. Hopefully, I can paint better than I can spell.
DALE

tcw27
01-04-2008, 06:24 PM
I missed the last couple as could not find them so will have a try with one of these, I think this is a great idea and love to see how different people see the same picture but in a different way.

As I am very much a newbie, wish me luck

Terry
:wave:

bchlvr
01-05-2008, 08:03 AM
Beautiful colors and great depth Nat!

bchlvr
01-05-2008, 08:08 AM
Lin...very nice with the sunny but crisp winter day!

Eagleorr...like the snow hanging on the branches.

Lil...like your colors...will show off nicely framed and matted.

alija1001
01-06-2008, 03:28 PM
Hi here is two picture I did over the past couple of days.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jan-2008/78136-Austria_1.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jan-2008/78136-Austria_2.jpg :clap:

WildGoose
01-06-2008, 03:59 PM
alija-

Like the minimalism of your first-

Linear, spare and calligraphic- Winter down to "essences", not "excessess"..:cool:

Suggestivesness over surfacing...great alternative approach to the
shadowing -the- blues-in reflex!
Also, adding unexpected warm-tones in the water/ice works !!:thumbsup:

(Can you tell I like it)?

Regards from North of the 49th,

WildGoose/Chris

bluemoonstar
01-07-2008, 12:55 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jan-2008/93432-winter_watercolor_rimmed_-sm..jpg

Edit--Whoops, sorry, I posted the one I painted last month, I'll post this month's when I finish it....
You all have some lovely colors going on in your snow scenes.:thumbsup:

wtrclrgrl
01-07-2008, 01:20 AM
Nice job bluemoonstar! Really great!

Miko
01-07-2008, 01:23 AM
Very well done, bluemoonstar!:clap: Did you use mask fluid? Salt?
Gerhard

bluemoonstar
01-07-2008, 01:28 AM
thanks, I was playing around with masking fluid.
I met a new artist friend who suggested we start getting together & doing some experimenting, so we started with a snow scene. It was fun to try something new, neither of us has painted with watercolors in several years. So, I came to check out the watercolor forum.

Lin Frye
01-07-2008, 07:06 AM
Beautiful winter scene!!! I LOVE the hazyness and the snow falling!! Makes me cold looking at it!!

Lin Frye
01-07-2008, 07:14 AM
I thought I'd give this challenge another try ... I cropped the painting a bit for better composition.

Linhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jan-2008/82363-snow_challenge_2_crop.jpg

Miko
01-07-2008, 07:29 AM
Phantastic, Lin! Perfect from the beautiful sky (I wish I could paint one like this!) to the nice colors you used for the snow. How well you have painted the fog between the mountains! That gives me a lot of inspiration for my next project (same motive!):thumbsup:
Gerhard

Lin Frye
01-07-2008, 07:36 AM
Thank you Gerhard!! I"m new to this forum (and pretty much watercolor) -- so I truly appreciate your kind remarks! I live in the southern part of the US and snow is rare ... this challenge has been particularly fun for me --- I keep hoping that by painting the snow, perhaps we will get some ourselves!!! Thank you again!

Lin

mgthorvaldsen
01-07-2008, 01:20 PM
:wave: Hi! Dale and all. Interesting paintings of snow and Gratz Austria. Thanks Dale for the opportunities to try something different. Here's mine at the bridge, thought I'd try to do this as if I were cross county skiing. Working with some different colors on 300lb CP....not my best, will have to try another with snow the emphasis. thanks for having a look. Regards,Marianne

Gratz, Austria, Cross Country
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jan-2008/94985-austria.jpg

Lin Frye
01-07-2008, 03:06 PM
This is really beautiful!! I love the oranges against the cool colors and shadows of the snow!!!

markjuby
01-08-2008, 07:13 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jan-2008/96554-Winter_in_Austria_small.jpg

Wow - there have been some excellent submissions this month.

Like Marianne, I rather liked the bridge in #3. but I preferred the b/g in #1 so have ended up with a kind of montage. While at it, it seemed a shame not to add some figures too! So here it is.

C&C very welcome.

Thanks

Mark

Lin Frye
01-08-2008, 08:52 AM
WOW!! Super super job! I love the frolic-ing of the figures -- they sure make the scene come alive with such snow-fun!! I also love the colors you've used on the snow!

markjuby
01-08-2008, 09:28 AM
Lin

Thanks very much. My wife reckons the nearer figure is doing the hokey cokey.

Mark

Uschi
01-08-2008, 03:51 PM
Wonderful work in this thread already:clap: :clap: :clap:

This is my first time posting in the "Invitations to Paint", I couldn't resist the gorgeous snow scenery, especially from my motherland Austria:) I "tried" an atmospheric approach, turned out a bit lame, still here it is

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jan-2008/10602-bridge.jpg

Uschi

Lin Frye
01-08-2008, 04:18 PM
OHHH -- I really like this -- it has such a 'cool' quality about it --- that bit of frostiness that is really hard to achieve!! GREAT JOB!

mgthorvaldsen
01-08-2008, 04:30 PM
:wave: Hi! All,
Thanks Lyn, the colors have grown on me, I like this painting especially in the am when the light hits it. Yours is lovely and serene, like the openess of the scene and the strong contrast with the evergreens in the snow.
Nicely done, Mark with your froliking people, a perfect addition to the morph of both pictures, good depth.
Good to see you join in Uschi. It's interesting to see your interpretation of this scene as you are familiar with this country. Like the delicacy of your work, especially the aspect of the snow on the trees.
Delightful painting, Bluemoonstar and Gerhard with your different realtime view including the cabins on the down hill slope.
Linn, Nat interesting take on same view with different effects.
Lil, I chose that as my second one, nicely done. Hi! Alija, glad you're here. JanP, lovely loose effects and textures with you colors.
:) Regards, Marianne

eagleorr
01-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Lynn- your composition is wonderful. I like the close detail and the snow is like a heavy blanket. Very nice

Ushi- I like the atmospheric version. The colors are soothing and the water very realistic looking. I hope you continue to post.
dru

WildGoose
01-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Uschi-

Your winter scene is[/I] very atmospheric, [I]and soft. .

The colours are beautifully muted and subtle and the arrangement, spare..

All the elements definitely say winter at a quiet, reflective time of day..

"A bit lame"?

Not to this viewer!

Regards,

WildGoose/Chris

MRSBB
01-12-2008, 11:52 PM
Saw the challenge for the Austria snow scenes. I'm new on the Watercolor Forum and have only been doing watercolors about 2 months. So I chose a scene from the Image Library. I have much to learn and invite all C/C. Thanks........Lenore :wave:

Violetta
01-13-2008, 11:17 AM
This is my entry to the Invitation to Paint Snow. It's done on 1/4 sheet Arches #140CP using DS paints.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jan-2008/102127-Austrian_Winter_Challenge_Resized.jpg

All C&C welcome.

Lin Frye
01-13-2008, 12:11 PM
NICELY done, Violetta! I love the pink the sky and how you've echoed this in the snow!!!

WaterMike
01-13-2008, 12:48 PM
Well, this is not impressive - it looks even worse in real life, but I'm not too proud. I'm glad I did it - thanks for making me "exercise" Dale. It's just 11 x 7.5 in, arches 140 lb cp, WN paints.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jan-2008/82410-P1010006.JPG

That's some bad looking snow, isn't it?? :crying:

Lin Frye
01-13-2008, 01:06 PM
I don't think so at all ... if you don't mind a bit of a suggestion from a newbie ... when my blues in snow are too dark or too 'non-snowy' ... I remove a bit of them with some water and a gentle scrub .... the result is often something i like -- a bit more texture and a bit more white .. That said, I like your trees and mountain range!! Keep it up!

Lin Frye
01-13-2008, 01:07 PM
I don't think so at all ... if you don't mind a bit of a suggestion from a newbie ... when my blues in snow are too dark or too 'non-snowy' ... I remove a bit of them with some water and a gentle scrub .... the result is often something i like -- a bit more texture and a bit more white .. That said, I like your trees and mountain range!! Keep it up!

Miko
01-14-2008, 01:47 AM
Hi Marianne! Servus Uschi! I have hesitated to choose that motive because I had no idea how to paint all those small trees and bushes in the background. Now as I could see how you have done that in your beautiful paintings I think I'll try that too (if winter is long enough to give me inspiration).
Hi Violetta! I like your sky and it's reflection in the snow!Nice colors in the snow!
Gerhard

mgthorvaldsen
01-14-2008, 08:54 PM
:wave: HI! All, Hi Judy, Mike, glad to see your posts , that seems to be a popular one, like the salt effects on yours Judy. Mike snow isn't easy try another, ou'll get the knack of it, no pressure here. I'm off to try the spring thru the woods. Thanks Gerhard, Graz seems an interesting place, arm chair traveler that I am, one of the reasons I enjoy these invitations to paint. Regards, Marianne

Lin Frye
01-15-2008, 08:36 AM
Morning all! I am really enjoying painting snow (and hoping by doing so, I'll finally get some in NC piedmont!) lol I chose another snow scene from the reference library ...I really enjoyed the challenge of getting this blue and blurry enough!

Linhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jan-2008/82363-snow_at_twilight_2.jpg

mgthorvaldsen
01-15-2008, 10:21 AM
:wave: HI! nicely done Lin, Like the background interest contrasting with the snowed tree in the foreground. Regards, Marianne

rgb
01-15-2008, 12:55 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jan-2008/100978-austria01.jpg

This one is based on another photo by Miko in the Image Library.

Dale, thanks for the Invitation. It's another fun one.
Miko, thanks for the wonderful photos.

carolyn subin
01-15-2008, 12:56 PM
I am a brand new member. Not sure if I'll have the nerve to post my results - and I don't know how to do that yet. But I love the challenge - and the tips - so I'll try. Thanks, Carolyn

eagleorr
01-15-2008, 06:34 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jan-2008/109289-clear_Mt_Baker.JPG

This is a snowy picture of Mt Baker.
My cousin took the photo I used for reference.
C&C's please
dru

mgthorvaldsen
01-15-2008, 08:49 PM
:wave: HI! Lenore, Jenny, Really like those buildings incorporated in your snow scenes, kind of gives a different perspective. Nice painting with the Mountain, very Nw. Carolyn, It's very interesting looking thru, I've learned soo much from everyone as well. Check out the newbie's thread and guildelines for posting at the top of the studio threads. You can also pm one of the guides. Hope to see you join in. Regards, Marianne

MRSBB
01-15-2008, 10:44 PM
Thought I would try another scene of Austria snow for the challenge. No comments on my first entry. Hope it wan't that bad. I am new to watercolors and would appreciate all C/C........ Thanks Miko for all the nice photos............. Lenore

Dale Ziegler
01-15-2008, 11:24 PM
MRSBB i like the overall moody feeling, but I think the snow on the foreground trees is a little too evenly spaced which makes it look a little artificial. Try looking at your source material more carefully. Should be easy to make some corrections.

carolyn subin
01-16-2008, 03:08 PM
http://[email protected]

carolyn subin
01-16-2008, 03:54 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jan-2008/128129-DSC_0009.JPG

carolyn subin
01-16-2008, 04:01 PM
I just sent my very first painting. it took me forever - and I couldn't figure out how to add a message, but i tried and would love to hear from anyone who cares to comment. Thanks, Carolyn

mgthorvaldsen
01-16-2008, 05:19 PM
:wave: HI! Carolyn, Good for you!:clap: First type your message, then do the landscape button at the next line under! preview your post and submit. Your painting is nicely done and very easy on the eyes. Really like how you've gottten the snow thruout and on the distant hills as well. You foreground tree and shadow, well done. enjoy! Regards, Marianne

eagleorr
01-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Carolyn
I'm so glad you posted. I love that sky.
The tree on the side is great.
One thing I have heard from other artists is not to have a horizontal line going across the middle of the painting. Your snow looks awesome. Next time you might want to try having that great snow ledge curving up to the center of the scene. That way it leads the viewer into the painting.
Keep posting.
dru

carolyn subin
01-16-2008, 06:51 PM
Thank you all for your feedback. It is soo helpful. I'll try again - and I'll check out the sites you reccommend. Thanks, Carolyn

Grainne
01-16-2008, 07:23 PM
Lots of wonderful snowy paintings in this thread!

Thought I would add mine :)

This is from a photo taken in Canada by Mr. Sandbanx.

I would appreciate any critique and comment you may make!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jan-2008/28471-Snow_Scene_298-800.jpg

A larger image can be seen here (http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/8341/snowscene298zb9.jpg)

Miko
01-17-2008, 02:17 PM
Wow! How nice to see all your beautiful paintings. Looking at them I felt inspired to try another one - and it's my usual mixture of nice elements and mistakes.
Thanks to all of you who join Dale's invitation and give comments and critiques - I learn a lot with you!
Gerhard
And here is my last work:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jan-2008/112879-CIMG1039a.JPG

mgthorvaldsen
01-17-2008, 03:56 PM
:wave: HI! Grainne and Gerhard, Good view and comp with the rocks in the snow Grainne contrasting with the soft snow covered maountains of yours Gerhard. I've included another of Graz from Miko's RIL, thanks Gerhard. Done on 300 CP 11x14. Still working n snow covered things. Thanks for the challenge with this invitaion, Dale. Thanks for looking, Regards, Marianne

Graz, Austria:http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jan-2008/94985-Graz,_Aus.jpg

rgb
01-17-2008, 05:16 PM
I'm having to bundle up to view all of these wonderful paintings.

It snowed here yesterday, though every Austrian would laugh at what qualifies for snow in my area of the South. The parked cars got more snow than the ground.

petalo_blu
01-17-2008, 07:22 PM
Hello!
Very beautiful paintings in this treat.
I'm a complete newbie and this is my first attempt at Invitation to paint series... It' made with Cotman on Arches 300lb CP.
C & C very welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jan-2008/73363-Graz.jpg

mgthorvaldsen
01-17-2008, 08:08 PM
:wave: HI! Jona, Nicely done, lots of layers, good colors. Glad you could join in. Hiya, Jenny, I find myself using warm colors to paint with! Regards, Marianne

Dale Ziegler
01-17-2008, 09:51 PM
Grainne. Nice! If I were doing it, I would tone down the snow on the trees or eliminate it completely. I think it fights with the rocks for attention. and for me they are the real center of interest. Dale

summerlover322
01-18-2008, 02:57 PM
I haven't posted anything in a while, but I've very much enjoyed seeing all of the beautiful work being done on the past couple of monthly challenges.

I would love to join in on this month's and would like to see the extra pictures in Miko's gallery. That's why I'm posting now. I hate to sound too lost on here, but I am. I have no idea how to find Miko's gallery or much of anything... Can someone point the way for me please?:o

Thanks for the help-I hope to post a painting or two soon!

Elaine

petalo_blu
01-18-2008, 03:59 PM
Marianne, thank you for the encouraging words.

summerlover322
01-18-2008, 04:39 PM
I've just been enjoying the most recent posts-have to comment on them. It's so much fun to see the different interpretations on any subject matter. Gerhard, Marianne and Jona-I like each of your paintings very much! Marianne, I especially like the mountains in the background that you have done so effectively. Jona, I love the layers and loose style of yours(something I strive for, but often miss the mark). I love this site!

Elaine

mgthorvaldsen
01-18-2008, 04:40 PM
:wave: HI! Elaine, if you go to the top of the page and find the header for content areas ( in the middle under wet canvas banner)7 you click in ther at the bottom of the list is Reference Image Library. When you get to the RIL at the search category enter Miko, Winter landscapes or Graz, Austria, this should get you there, or go to Miko's gallery. There are many scenes there as well as under winter, snow and Austria, there's still plenty of time.

HI! Jano, you're welcome, good to see you here and painting.

:) Regards, Marianne

summerlover322
01-19-2008, 05:09 AM
:wave: Thanks for the help, Marianne! I knew I'd seen that when I first started visiting WetCanvas, but couldn't remember where when I needed it. I've chosen several beautiful photos; now I just have to paint some of them and get them posted. Thanks again-
Elaine

summerlover322
01-19-2008, 07:41 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2008/84470-January_Wetcanvas-Gratz,_Austria-2-600x401.jpg Well, here's my first attempt. There are several other photos that I want to try-working on the time to paint them. C&C welcome and appreciated, as usual. This is 6x9" on Arches 140 lb. CP, using various brands of paint.
Elaine

mgthorvaldsen
01-19-2008, 11:50 AM
:wave: Hi! elaine, Good for you, like your variation in color here really gives depth in the distance and vairety thruoghout the scene. regards, Marianne

Lin Frye
01-20-2008, 10:07 AM
What beautiful, and cold!!!, paintings!!! I love seeing these varying interpetations of the snow!

We finally got a bit of snow in my part of North Carolina .. and I painted a simplified version of our brief snow as it looked on my ornamental grasses. I increased the snow and reduced the grasses to truly simplify the scene in my front property. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2008/82363-grasses_in_the_snow.jpg

mgthorvaldsen
01-20-2008, 11:55 AM
:wave: Hi! Lyn, Like this alot! Warm colors to capture a quietly peaceful scene. Regards, Marianne

Lin Frye
01-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Thanks so much, Marianne! It seems the less I fuss with something, the better is the finished product -- now to learn how to do THAT more often! LOL

summerlover322
01-20-2008, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the comments, Lin! I really love your simple grass/snow scene-it's truly beautiful. I wish I'd remember more often to just simplify. Locally, we could do with a little LESS snow, but I understand the uniqueness when you rarely get the white stuff! :)

MTillie
01-20-2008, 09:56 PM
Saw the challenge for the Austria snow scenes. I'm new on the Watercolor Forum and have only been doing watercolors about 2 months. So I chose a scene from the Image Library. I have much to learn and invite all C/C. Thanks........Lenore :wave::)
Interesting painting but you might tone down that bright blue background so it fades into the distance?

dcglovier
01-20-2008, 10:28 PM
Just checked out all of these snow paintings and they are very impressive. Beautiful!
Doris

MRSBB
01-21-2008, 01:37 AM
Would like to post my revised version of this snow scene.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jan-2008/114956-100_0933e.jpg

Hope there is a little improvement, thought the snow on the trees was too heavy before. I'm still learning, Thanks Lenore

pjartwc
01-21-2008, 07:25 AM
Mark, Your figures did wonders for this painting. Adding them was a stroke - no pun intended - of genius.

ArtsyMom
01-21-2008, 05:14 PM
HAD TIME TODAY TO DO ANOTHER WINTER SCENE. DONE IN W/C ON ARCHES 140 LB. PAPER, 11 X 14. Thanx Dale for the great references. LIL
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jan-2008/88614-IMG_0065.JPG

eagleorr
01-21-2008, 05:27 PM
I love that sky,ArtsyMom
Lin that painting of the snow and grasses is great. I love a simple scene!
dru

mgthorvaldsen
01-21-2008, 08:35 PM
:wave: HI! Lyn, Lenore, Doris, Jan P, Lil and Dru, MTillie and all,

Like this piece, Lil, glad to see another one, I'm still working on the first one you did. Dru, Mt Baker still looks good, nice to see you looking in. Join in, Doris. For you new people, Violetta( Judy) brought hers up to the studio in a new thread for tweaking. Since I"m still relatively new and only out of watercolor lessons a yr, I am still learning. Don't hesitate if you have a question to open yours in a new thread. You've all made this invitation an interesting read. Thanks for hosting Dale. regards, Marianne

Brenda Y
01-21-2008, 08:38 PM
Lenore,
I liked this the first time around, but now that you've softened the snow on the foreground trees I see that it's even better! A lovely soft, almost filtered, look that is very effective.
Btw, my daughter's first grade teacher was Mrs. Biebe and all that year I heard Mrs. BB this and Mrs. BB that - LOL, my daughter adored her Mrs. BB.

MRSBB
01-21-2008, 09:39 PM
Thanks Brenda for the comments. Someone mentioned my snow was very artificial looking in the first one. So I have been studying snow and thought I'd see if this one was better. I'm also glad to hear your daughter loved her teacher, Mrs BB. I've only been doing this watercolor medium for a couple of months, so I am still learning and appreciate critiques. Thanks, Lenore

mimitabby
01-21-2008, 11:18 PM
This seemed like a perfect subject to practice my fog and mist! so here; 6 x10 300 lb arches rough.
The blue is cobalt blue.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jan-2008/73379-treesnow.jpg

mgthorvaldsen
01-22-2008, 09:26 AM
:wave: HI! Mimi, You're right, lightly textural, like your use of shadows. shadows on the treees. Regards, Marianne

mgthorvaldsen
01-22-2008, 04:22 PM
:wave: HI! I'm sorry to post twice, I'm on the call list for jury duty again this year, don't know what the upcoming week will be like so I did a quick jot sketch for the snow with the spring running thru. Thanks for looking, still working with some different colors, but a viable journal sketch about 2hrs. I think this thread will change for Feb. in a week or so. Thanks for looking, Regards, Marianne

Snow with spring:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jan-2008/94985-snow_with_spring..jpg

MRSBB
01-23-2008, 01:58 AM
Marianne I really like this one, looks like a Christmas card. You do lovely work. Lenore

summerlover322
01-23-2008, 06:18 AM
I have to agree with Lenore-Marianne, I really like this one very much!:clap:

mgthorvaldsen
01-23-2008, 09:20 AM
:wave: Hi! Lenore, Elaine, Thanks for looking and your thoughful feedback. Good sharing this invite with you all. I like both your paintings, Lenore, for different reasons as our style finds us it's good to try different things. Regard, Marianne

petalo_blu
01-23-2008, 03:27 PM
Nice work, everybody. Can't wait to improve my knowledge in watercolor and be able to paint like this.

Elaine - wonderful painting. I like the sense of depth you created, your palette is beautiful and I like the branches of the tree.

Mimi, your painting looks very delicate. Love it.

Marianne, wonderful view in your last one. Like it a lot.

Lin...just beautiful.

summerlover322
01-23-2008, 06:24 PM
Thank you, Jona. I appreciate the kind comments regarding my painting.

Elaine:)

ArtsyMom
01-23-2008, 06:39 PM
Hi Marianne, Just saw your new addition and I like it a lot. Like the way you added the houses and how the stream leads you to them. Lil

mgthorvaldsen
01-23-2008, 07:59 PM
:wave: HI! Lil, thanks, I'm glad. didn't get to let you know personaly what a good painting you did on you second snow scene, good for you, I like the comp and the glistening snow with the little trees for interest. YOur shadow undet the Large pine works well. I find that it is getting easier to get thru all the grey of the trees on the mountains and make it interesting. Since I'm not using my usual palette, I can't throw in some color and hope for the best. A good learning experience. regards, Marianne

Brenda Y
01-24-2008, 02:32 AM
I'm gearing up for the February challenge using the DS Jazz Alley Triads and decided to give these pigments a go with one of the snow scenes. Since the triad does not have a green, nor a yellow to mix a green, I've painted the evergreen trees rust! :rolleyes: This is painted on Arches CP block and is 7 x 10.
This is the first time I've posted in a WetCanvas challenge.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jan-2008/83537-JATriad3.jpg

wtrclrgrl
01-24-2008, 02:46 AM
Brenda, great first challenge!! I like the trees the work well. You have sone very well with a limited palate.

mgthorvaldsen
01-24-2008, 09:42 AM
:wave: HI! Conni and Brenda. Glad you joined in. A good way to work with new colors, Brenda, those colors create atmosphere. Like how you got the edges of the snow along the spring, good contours. enjoy the day. Regards, MArianne

Lin Frye
01-24-2008, 10:01 AM
Hi Everyone! Oh how wonderful are these paintings!! From fog and mist to spring snow ---!!! GRAND work!!!

Sorry to be scarce -- work is horrific right now - and I'm dashing to yet another meeting -- SIGH!! But looking at these dreamy, fabulous paintings gives me a sense of calm as I head out the door for more turmoil ... thank each of you for posting and making my day!

Brenda Y
01-25-2008, 02:03 AM
This is painted on Arches CP block, 7 x 10. I used the DS Jazz Alley Triad (still gearing up for the Feb challenge using that triad). I'm not sure I like the spot of sun showing through the branch on the tree. I don't know if I didn't do it correctly or if I just don't like it :) I masked the spot, removed the mask after the sky and tree branch had been painted and was thoroughly dry. Using a wet brush, I softened the edges and while the paper was still wet from that step, I put in just a haze of the brown/rust. After the haze was dry, I put some darker areas in with the same pigment mix. I'd like to get some opinions on this.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2008/83537-JATriad4.jpg

Lin Frye
01-25-2008, 07:35 AM
Hi Bren!! Oh hon, this is really really terrific! I love the subtle colors you used, the shadows on the snow, and the texture on the tree!!! WELL DONE! I have the same discomforting sense you do about the sun but not sure how to fix it either.... but I sure am interested to see the responses of those who know more about this!

Yorky
01-25-2008, 09:12 AM
Maybe dab out more of the colour around the sun Brenda?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2008/1046-AAsunspotDSE.jpg

Doug

mgthorvaldsen
01-25-2008, 10:35 AM
:wave: HI! Brenda, like this view, you are working into the triad colors well, good interest with the shadows, like Doug's advice about the shadow. regards, Marianne

Brenda Y
01-25-2008, 10:41 AM
Thanks, Lin and Marianne! Doug, you are SO RIGHT!! Thank you, thank you, thank you.
At first I was stumped with this triad, it having no green! This is my fourth piece, and I'm adapting and looking forward to the February Triad Challenge.

Shirl Parker
01-25-2008, 11:49 AM
Hi Brenda,

You might try moving the sun to a different location not in the tree branches, maybe finding an area that is still fairly light and lifting out to recreate the sun. Then paint over where the sun is now to make it part of the tree again.

Otherwise, well done.

Shirl

Brenda Y
01-25-2008, 02:15 PM
Shirl,
I'd already started my revision per Doug's suggestion when I got your post. You reminded me, though, that it's perfectly okay to rearrange a photo :lol:
After I worked on the spot of sun, I realized that the tree trunk should be darker--after all, the sun is on the other side of it!! So here's my revision
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2008/83537-JATriad4b.jpg

eagleorr
01-25-2008, 03:09 PM
It looks great, Brenda.
I rather like the sun shining through the tree. It is so realistic that way. My property has lots of trees, so I frequently see the sun filtering through the branches.
You did a great job not using any green. This is a very real winter scene.
dru

Dale Ziegler
01-25-2008, 08:24 PM
Nearing the end of the month so I thought I'd better start painting. A recent workshop I took emphasized the importance of temperature dominance. So I did a warm and a cool one. Each took less than an hour. I think the two tiny figures add a lot of interest and scale in the cool one.

6x9 140 cp arches
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2008/89779-warm.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2008/89779-cool1.jpg

eagleorr
01-25-2008, 08:46 PM
I especially like the cool one.
Love the sky in the warm one.
Great palette for both.
dru

Lin Frye
01-25-2008, 09:23 PM
Dale -- these are magnificent! Love the 2 variations, too!!!

This challenge has been wonderful and so much fun! Thank you for starting it!

Lin

mgthorvaldsen
01-26-2008, 10:02 AM
:wave: Hi! Dale, Thanks for passing the workshop info along to us in the visual form. to see this makes so much sense. The scenes are so interesting with the gradation and diagonals, rich warm and cool colors w figures. :) Regards, Marianne

ArtsyMom
01-26-2008, 10:28 AM
Posted this one but went back into it and lightened the snow shadow under the tree. Lil
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jan-2008/88614-IMG_0070.JPG

Lin Frye
01-26-2008, 11:27 AM
Dale and contributors:

All these wonderful paintings and especially this challenge, Dale, have me painting snow and more snow ...

I'm heading out of town shortly, but wanted to share another snow image -- and though it's a bit too fussed over, thought I'd share it nonetheless ...

Linhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jan-2008/82363-barn_at_daybreak_3.jpg

Violetta
01-26-2008, 01:36 PM
Lin - I really like this. The sky is lovely and I especially like the bare trees with their shadows on the snow. Well done!

I recently completed another snow picture but not one from Austria. It is actually from England and based on a photo in the RIL by Guis Boro. I did this on 1/4 sheet 300# Fabriano Artistico with DS paints.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jan-2008/102127-Around_the_Bend_Resized.jpg

Watching all the snow pictures posted in this thread really helped me with this one. I hope to complete another Austrian snow picture before the end of this challenge.

I also posted this in the Gallery here: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473120

C & C welcome.

mgthorvaldsen
01-26-2008, 09:16 PM
:wave: HI! Lin and Judy, Wow, both of you, is that style I see showing thru! :clap: Regards, Marianne

summerlover322
01-27-2008, 05:25 AM
As I was shoveling the continually falling snow for the second time Saturday, I was inspired to just look out my window when I finished and paint what I saw. Here's the result and I call it From My Window. I thought it fit pretty well with this month's subject...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jan-2008/84470-From_My_Window-resized_for_WC.jpg

mgthorvaldsen
01-27-2008, 10:56 AM
:wave: HI! Elaine, Perfect capture of the snowed tree, a moment in time. Regards, Marianne

wtrclrgrl
01-27-2008, 12:56 PM
:D Here is mine- and not a moment too soon!!:D

I had a great time on this!

I used the bridge picture for inspiration but after doing my own sketch and value study just went off imagination. I have included those below so you can see.

This is 10 x14 on artistico rough 140lb. paper ( I think I would have better liked cold pressed for the slick icy feeling- but did not have any- oops!)

The picture came out a bit duller in color than the original....we have no sun outside right now- just dark clouds. It is Wa state- if I wait for a sunny day, I would not be able to post until July!!:lol:

Comments Welcome~

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jan-2008/108726-100_1395.jpg

Here is the reference:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jan-2008/108726-89779-Winter_in_Austria006.jpg

And my quick sketch/ value study:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jan-2008/108726-100_1397.jpg

Thanks Dale for the invitation!! Now off to Hawaii-(Feb. invitation)

Violetta
01-27-2008, 02:16 PM
Conni - Great use of your imagination! I especially like the writhing look of the tree branches! Well done!

mgthorvaldsen
01-27-2008, 06:48 PM
:wave: HI! conni, Like what you've done with is and the enchanting atmoshpere to it with your bird's eye view and light coming into the scene. Regards, Marianne

Lin Frye
01-28-2008, 08:11 AM
Connie, Violetta, Elaine, Connie -- WOWOW! What fabulous fabulous paintings!!! From the sunshiney cold to the moody blue scene, I am so enamored with all of these! Wonderful, Wonderful interpretations!

Violetta
01-29-2008, 04:02 PM
I want to post my final paintings for this challenge before the end of the month. The first is one I have already posted but took into the Studio for suggestions for improvement. This is the "new and improved" version.:lol: It is done on 1/4 sheet Arches #140 CP with DS paints and the changes were primarily ones suggested by RTi, freespirit42 and especially Brian Barnes. Thank you all once more for your help.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2008/102127-Winter_Landscape_redone_Resized.jpg

The second one is one of Miko's winter photos that others have done as well. I chose it because of the challenge to do winter Evergreens. I really need to improve my skills in foliage and this photo gave me added practice. It is done on 1/4 sheet Fabriano Artistico 140# CP with DS paints.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2008/102127-Winter_in_Austria_Resized.jpg

Please let me know what you think of these, what I have done successfully and what could be done differently.

Thanks!!

mgthorvaldsen
01-29-2008, 08:10 PM
:wave: HI! Judy, these are both lovely, like the more pronounced shadow on the revision and you've interpreted the evergreen scene well. Like this palette and the intereset you've created in the foreground with the shadows and snow frozen to the trees leading down to the buildings. Like how you've gotten those mountains to keep their snowiness thru the trees. regards, Marianne

freerangebob
01-30-2008, 05:08 PM
Guess I got this in just under the wire. I have be putting it off all month because SNOW is all I can see out of my window. So I put on some good music and painted. I tried to put some warmth into my painting if just to warm me up. This month has been horrible ,culminating last week with my leaving a door open to my basement where I paint and not only did I freeze and burst several water pipes but all my tubes of watercolor froze solid.:crying:
I,again, painted this on Yupo paper. 8x10.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jan-2008/110151-winter-in-austria.jpg

antiki
01-30-2008, 05:20 PM
This is great! I absolutely love snow pictures! As a matter of fact, I already have one started! I am trying a different sense of color in this one. Wish me luck! :)

antiki
01-30-2008, 05:25 PM
Oops, I guess I'm really behind. Oh well, when I finish, I don't think anyone will mind my posting it anyway.

Fauxgeddaboudit
01-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Oh so many to comment on, it's great to see so many styles! Lots for me to study!! For the most recent posts:

Bob ~ I love your style. Use of color is stunning! :cool:

Violetta ~ So serene - I could walk right in!

Conni ~ I'm a beginner and appreciate seeing the sketch - really nice work!

Elaine ~ So pure!

Sue Ann

mgthorvaldsen
01-31-2008, 10:51 AM
:wave: HI! Bob, Antiki and Sue Ann, we're all glad you joined in. Great colors and interest on your scene Bob with the yupo, totally different, sorry to hear about the frozen paint tho...Post when your finish whenever, Antiki...enjoy the interesting read Sue Ann. :) Regards, Marianne