PDA

View Full Version : Mini Workshop

maggie latham
12-28-2007, 08:10 PM
Hello everyone,
For any of my fellow pastel friends who are interested…there are some photos of a recent mini workshop I gave… teaching wet in wet blended washes. Posted in both the Marine forum and Palette Talk in the Watercolor forum. Don’t know how to attach the link, so unfortunately you will have to pop over to the other forums. Working in pastels has greatly influenced the way in which I now approach and work in watercolor.
Comments welcome!
Maggie

Donna T
12-28-2007, 09:25 PM
Thanks for sharing your workshop photos, Maggie. What a beautiful, bright place to work in! I see a lot of watercolor influence in your pastels with the way you let the colors blend and flow. I'd be interested in how your pastel work has influenced your watercolors. It seems like the two media have more differences than similarities, but maybe not?

Donna

maggie latham
12-28-2007, 10:48 PM
Donna,
Thank you for looking. It is a great venue with lots of space to spread out.

I used to be quite timid using watercolor and was afraid of using strong colors. I guess I never had the courage before to let go and just apply a lot of pigment onto the wet paper and let it do it’s own thing (with a teeny bit of guidance). What I noticed while preparing washes and finished paintings for this workshop was how much stronger the pigment was that I was mixing up on my palette, and that I was not so afraid of putting down highly pigmented washes as I used to be. I also really liked the slight abstract quality to the blended washes (before I used to battle against the abstract qualities) and this time only added simple elements such as silhouetted palms or a hint of horizon to make the painting work. This is exactly how I approach most of my pastel work……quite often with only a slight preconceived idea of a finished painting, putting color down and blending and scumbling, and pulling it all together later on. This may be an unusual way of working and not for everyone, but for my seascapes I really like to work this way.

To sum up: having gotten used to looking at and using saturated colors in pastel, I seem to be much more confident about doing the same with the medium of watercolor. Apart from a few paintings, I really haven’t painted that much in watercolor for quite a while, and was amazed at how much looser and more confident I was preparing the demo pieces for the class.

I have begun to notice that it doesn’t matter if I use watercolor, acrylic or pastel, my paintings have a consistency to them regardless of the medium, something that I don’t think was there before.

Sorry to waffle:lol: , hope I answered your question and thanks for your interest.
Maggie

purpleheather
12-29-2007, 08:22 AM
Your workshop looks fun! Please share your 'workbook' with us. I love the demo paintings - rich vibrant colours.

Anne

Snowbound
12-29-2007, 09:42 AM
I am also looking forward to the 'workbook', Maggie. I also work in watercolor from time to time, but it's been years since I've done wet-in-wet, except occasionally as a loose underpainting, and sort of bumbling along at that. I'd love to see how you go about it: I'm sure I'll learn lots.

Here's the link to the thread in Watercolor Palette talk. At least I hope it goes there!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466655

Dayle Ann

WC Lee
12-29-2007, 12:44 PM
Looks to be a fun workshop :) I was never able to use watercolors, it would just come out looking like a dried up puddle of mud :D

maggie latham
12-29-2007, 10:33 PM
Anne, as soon as I get the pics ready I will post it.
Dayle Ann, thanks…how did you do that? I tried cutting and pasting, but couldn’t get it to work.
WC, I know all about getting into the ‘mud’! Been there often (unfortunately in pastel too)!:lol:
Maggie