PDA

View Full Version : One of Rod's flowers (ink & watercolour pencils)

Elankat
06-16-2002, 03:55 PM
I thought you guys might want to see this. It is my first time using watercolour pencils. I did this for the Rodz Art project. It's one of his flowers, with a tiny twist :) I only have the 24 color set of Derwent watercolour pencils, so the color selection was a little limited.

Micron pens & watercolour pencils on Stonehenge. Size is 3 1/2 by 5 inches.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2002/Rodfairy_sm.JPG

And a close up...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2002/Rodfairy_detail.JPG

Charles Perera
06-16-2002, 06:29 PM
That's a smart job. Very imaginative, and the scene is colourful.. waiting to see it completed.

Charles

Elankat
06-16-2002, 07:04 PM
Um, it is completed. :(

TeAnne
06-16-2002, 07:13 PM
It's very gorgeous. Well done. I love that butterfly :D:clap:

K.C.
06-16-2002, 11:09 PM
Cutest Butterfly I've ever seen.

;)

Jprice022
06-16-2002, 11:17 PM
Well done. I like the butterfly.

The background is a bit too busy for my taste.

Thanks for sharing.

John

Elankat
06-17-2002, 12:10 AM
Thanks everyone.

And that's okay, John. Different tastes for different people. From what I've seen of your watercolors (which are quite lovely by the way), you like very minimalist backgrounds. :)

arlene
06-17-2002, 01:22 AM
actually i have to agree with john...your background is given as much importance as your forground making everything compete with one another.

Use one of your gray green cp's (the regular ones would work too) and do a glaze over the whole thing to tone it down, so it sits into the background a bit more. Let the flower and butterfly pop.

Elankat
06-17-2002, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by arlene
actually i have to agree with john...your background is given as much importance as your forground making everything compete with one another.

Use one of your gray green cp's (the regular ones would work too) and do a glaze over the whole thing to tone it down, so it sits into the background a bit more. Let the flower and butterfly pop.

Sorry Arlene. I'm going to disagree with you on this one. :) The background colors in the original are dull enough as it is. The greens show up much more green in the photo since it was taken with a flash. They are not as prominent in the original. I'm guessing that part of it is also the red around the piece. I propped the thing up on one of my son's chairs. The red makes the green stand out more.

I don't want the flower and butterfly to be any more prominent or the background less obvious. I'm not going for a piece that screams "Hey, look at this flower." The intent of this piece is more subtle. The fairy should not be immediately noticeable. Any more dulling of the background and she will be. It's sort of my version of "Where's Waldo?"

arlene
06-17-2002, 01:09 PM
my suggestions don't make it more visible...just less cluttered and busy, so your eye has a place to rest.

Elankat
06-17-2002, 01:10 PM
I took another picture outside. This one is closer to the original, but the background still looks brighter than the original and still looks more red & green. The original has a lot more of a dulled green. It seems like it's not picking up the yellow ochre or lavender tones that are in it. Oh well. Stupid camera.

arlene
06-17-2002, 01:12 PM
the circled areas are the only ones i touched.

mostly it's the green in the grass that's creating a horizontal and is pulling your eye away.

Elankat
06-17-2002, 01:14 PM
Arlene, I think you were posting while I was. If you look above, you'll see a better photo of the image. It's much closer to the way it looks, and even so, it still isn't right. For example, in the image, there is a spot of bright green between the wing and her shoulder. In the original, it is a dulled grass green.

arlene
06-17-2002, 01:17 PM
my comments still stand after seeing the second scan...the green in the grass is too bright and too light.

and that green cuts the picture in half.

Elankat
06-17-2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by arlene
my comments still stand after seeing the second scan...the green in the grass is too bright and too light.

and that green cuts the picture in half.

Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree, then. :) On my monitor, your retouched areas look very dark and very muddy. Maybe it's a difference in monitors. However, I do like the stem on the left darkened.

geckonia
06-17-2002, 01:29 PM
Wow, so that's actual size on my screen? Amazing. I love the concept. My only comment, and maybe why charles was thinking it was unfinished, is that the white flower looks a bit stark in comparison to the rest of your image. Perhaps a wash or a little more reflected color there would help pull this together.

Elankat
06-17-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by geckonia
Wow, so that's actual size on my screen? Amazing. I love the concept. My only comment, and maybe why charles was thinking it was unfinished, is that the white flower looks a bit stark in comparison to the rest of your image. Perhaps a wash or a little more reflected color there would help pull this together.

Pretty much. I have a 17 inch monitor in 1024 by 768 resolution and the original is maybe a quarter of an inch larger than what's on my screen.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have some reflected yellow, but maybe a bit of orangy-pink would be good? Or maybe just a touch of blue gray on those two whitest leaves?

I get color-happy in most areas. However, I'm always so afraid to put too much color in white areas, so I probably underdid it. :)

arlene
06-17-2002, 01:50 PM
must be the monitors...is yours set too dark? The problem is the green swath more than anything else. A darker green (not a muddy one) would solve the problem.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2002/Rodfairy_sm11.jpg

here's where my eye gets stuck...the horizontal line.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2002/Rodfairy_sm22.jpg

gecko's suggestion is a good one.

btw: have you done the egg project? that would help you with whites!

Elankat
06-17-2002, 02:12 PM
btw: have you done the egg project? that would help you with whites!

It took me almost a week to recover from the last still life project. I coudn't bring myself to draw for 5 days. I signed up for the egg project the first week I joined WetCanvas. I keep moving it to the bottom of my "to do" list. :) I do intend to do it.

As far as the line cutting through the middle of the piece, I don't know what to tell you. I can see it in the images here, but it doesn't look that way in the original. My monitor is actually set at a super high brightness and contrast due to a game I play. I can't see in the "night time" mode of the game otherwise.

Shell
06-17-2002, 05:04 PM
I was given some watercolor pencils for Christmas and haven't touched them. I didn't know you could do that with them! Love the butterfly. Maybe I'll get mine out.....

Shell:)