PDA

View Full Version : Untitled

myenglishisterrible
12-28-2007, 02:58 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-28-2007/122009_balancoires.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Untitled
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 50x50 cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Another 50x50.<br>Not yet finished. Some problems with the drawing, and the beach is not too good.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
www.sarla.be

KYRed
12-28-2007, 03:12 AM
Actually, I can see this painting as being finished. Do what you want with it for sure, only the artist knows when a painting is finished. I am a self taught artist, no college or even high school training and just a memorization of art, art history and no appreciation course. The name of the artist this whose work this reminds me of fails me right now, but I see this as a painting that is surely your own. I enjoy the lack of detail in the faces. In this way it could be anyone, even one of my own relatives at a beach.

Ronni
12-28-2007, 05:45 AM
(I think the artist KYRed forgot his name is Eduard Hopper, the American, who also focuses the becoming annonimus and lonesome, at enviornments).
KYRed pinted the strongest quality of this, it could be anyone there.)

thomas w
12-28-2007, 08:59 AM
It's clearly unfinished but I like where this is going. The composition and content are very interesting.
Thomas W

Lynnthepin
12-28-2007, 10:48 AM
I kinda agree that it isn't finished. The man pushing the child in the swing...the swing needs another rope. The poor kid is going to do a "header "out of there.(that is the grandma coming out in me). It also seems like you are not sure of where your light source is. Ido like what you have done so far. Ican't wait to see it finished. lynnthepin

Oldmanartist
12-28-2007, 11:39 AM
For me it's pretty well finished (I know bad grammar) Before I read Ronni's comment, I immediately thought of Edward Hopper too, but with a losser stroke. I love the broad strokes that make up the faces. The swing needs a rope and I'd consider putting some sort of shadow under the man's feet -- your light source appears to be from behind and to the right -- so a shadow going to the bottom right seems to me to be appropriate to ground him.

kathrynlovespets
12-28-2007, 01:06 PM
I dunno..I think it looks finished...

creodont
12-28-2007, 02:08 PM
I do not know either. The guy looks like he has a kid on a bungee cord and about to shoot him into space. I would like to see what happens next. By looking at your other paintings you seem to be purposefully limiting detail and subject matter. This adds to a vacant lonely area even with people. Only what is essential to the composition. There is activity with the people there but this painting would of work even without them. Very well done again..........john

ejtupi
12-28-2007, 04:22 PM
I'm seeing a bit of a conflict as a result of the strong vertical and horizontal lines in the composition. I'm not sure that the highlights on the children in the lower left quadrant are consistent with those of the standing adult. Best touch for me is the somewhat stilted clothing of the man - reinforces how out of place they all seem in what appears to be a cold day when no one else is about. I respond better to your other paintings, but the response is more immediate...this one seems to take a bit of time to sink in, so I'm actually thinking you might have a bit more nuance to it (personal opinion - personal reaction). Goes without saying that it's a striking, almost haunting, image.

KYRed
12-29-2007, 02:05 AM
Maybe it is indeed Hopper I was trying to think of. Thanks, Ronni.

kadon
12-29-2007, 02:13 AM
I like the cleanness of it. However, I'd like to see the scene placed in a park - some warm colours are needed I think and the child is certainly going to fall any moment.

myenglishisterrible
12-31-2007, 03:06 PM
Thanks, everybody!
Happy new year!

www.sarla.be