PDA

View Full Version : "sister"

Alisa
06-16-2002, 08:08 AM
Hi All,

here's a link to my first "learning experiment" with acrylic.

http://www.geocities.com/lisajane63/acrylic.html

My goal was to just put paint on canvas, quit being afraid of color and paint and get a feel for it. MUCH OF IT is left UNFINISHED, and many things I would'nt do again, but as I said, my goal was to quit being so afraid to make mistakes and to even leave it as it is for now. I've done so much reading of "how tos" and posts from more educated artists I think I intimidated myself. I would go to paint and FREEZE LOL. Hard to learn anything that way.

here's "animals" reference photo I used from the library:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/index.pl?photo=2614

I use to use only pencil and graduated myself to color pencil, then to watercolor. I have been trying so hard to loosen up so I can experiment and learn about color and paint. I tried watercolor thinking there was no way I could get tight with it- but somehow managed to in spite of myself.

Anyways, I bought acrylic and a pallete knife and played with it. No way I could get to tight. I experimented with this photo because as silly as it may sound... I knew it was too difficult an image for me to get "right" especially the water and landscape, and the deep shadows, therefore I may as well loosen up and learn. Hope that makes sense.

By the time I got to her bangs and headband I put down the pallette knife and used the brush and found I was'nt as timid with the paint and color, and was'nt as inclined to overblend it. Fewer brushstrokes looked better and I hope in time I'll get a feel for which colors and fewer strokes, and where exactly they go.

Anyway...sorry I'm babbling, I learned a lot by biting off more than I could chew and forcing myself to make mistakes. And I've learned a lot by reading here at wetcanvas and maybe my post will help someone else in some way:)

Alisa

blkros
06-16-2002, 09:46 AM
Good job Alisa. Excellent color. Excellent form, and rendering. If this is your first effort, I can't wait to see more.

KarenU
06-16-2002, 12:56 PM
Alisa...wonderful painting! Keep at it, you have a talent, and I can't wait to see more of your work!

KarenByTheSea
06-16-2002, 02:30 PM
Alisa,

I love how you produced the look of sunlight in her hair, as well as the sun glowing on the fronts of her legs and feet. Excellent!

~Karen

donsha
06-16-2002, 04:27 PM
Wow this is great you have wonderful talent I would like to see more of your work in the future. The hair colour seems to shine with the sunlight. Keep it up and lets see more please.
:clap: :clap:

orchidlover6
06-17-2002, 12:09 PM
excellent.

animal
06-17-2002, 01:58 PM
Alisa,
This is GREAT! :clap: :clap: :D

Alisa
06-17-2002, 11:02 PM
Thankyou all, I truly appreciate the comments and warm welcome:)))

Alisa

surreal
06-18-2002, 01:11 PM
It's a really nice painting!

surreal :)

orchidlover6
06-18-2002, 01:38 PM
sister is an experiment? I think it was a success.

TheLymner
06-18-2002, 10:44 PM
:cat: Very nicely painted, indeed:cat:

Danny E Haislet
TheLymner

Alisa
06-20-2002, 11:33 PM
except the color of her toes I'm done LOL. they looked fine til I saw 'em on my browser. I finished the fishing net in her hand and the dock.

http://www.geocities.com/lisajane63/acrylic.html

I keep trying to figure out how to methodically plan out applying the color Simply, and have it look the way I intend. This stuff dries fast though! And to decide when to blend it more, just lay color side by side, drybrush, glaze, warm cool shadows.....bright light and deep dark shadows...*head explodes*****

Anyways, whatever subject I do next will be much simpler, and should be easier for me all around after tackling this one:)

thanks all who took time to look and comment earlier!
Alisa

jayjay
06-21-2002, 09:02 AM
Excellent - Oh I wish I could paint like that.............. sigh!

Jayne:clap: