PDA

View Full Version : pastel portraits what are you charging?

kevinb6565
12-26-2007, 08:57 PM
Hello this is my first post , I do pastel portraits which I just started seriously but my question is for some of you who have been doing it a while what price range are you charging my delima has been pricing so as not to be to high but not so cheap it's devalued.
thanks kevin

Donna A
12-27-2007, 01:03 AM
Hello this is my first post , I do pastel portraits which I just started seriously but my question is for some of you who have been doing it a while what price range are you charging my delima has been pricing so as not to be to high but not so cheap it's devalued.
thanks kevin

Hi, Kevin. Welcome to Wet Canvas! It's a great group!

You have not mentioned the size(s) you are planning on working with---and whether you intend to do only head and shoulders, or 3/4 figures and/or full figures. Some artists do only head/shoulders and simply vignette or fade out most of the shoulders with a subtle suggestion of background color near the head---and others do fully-developed backgrounds painted to all 4 edges of the piece. Some do more pastel sketches and some build up rich layers of color. All of these differences affect pricing issues.

Have you been selling paintings of other subjects that might serve as any sort of guide to what your work has been garnering? Have you looked around in your general area for other artists doing work similar in size, etc. to what you are planning on doing to get an idea of what prices the market seems to bare?

Artists with more experience and more of a following generally sell at higher prices than do those newer to the market.

With more information, we should be able to give you a few 'ballpark' suggestions for prices.

If you are still 'introducing yourself' to the market around you, you might do something that some artists have done---do two or three portraits of people with good networks around them that are "specially discounted" to the client with the understanding that they will help spread the word about your portrait work and note the full price. And (once you have determined your 'set price') these several 'special discounts' for only a very few clients can let you encourage people to give you a try without having to actually 'raise' your price immediately. You can let the person know that your plan and so often, they can be very glad of the good deal---and also willing to help pass the word about you.

Look forward to hearing more from you! Very best wishes! Donna ;-}

Deborah Secor
12-27-2007, 01:46 AM
Welcome, Kevin. Good points Donna has made, of course. There's a lot to consider.

You might find this thread, how much do i charge? (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=461500), interesting, from over in the portrait forum... I just happened upon it the other day and thought it was enlightening. Some people charge by the square inch. One point to remember is not to undercharge or you'll end up sick of doing work that pays too little!

What you charge will depend on so many factors! Hope we can be of some help.

Deborah