PDA

View Full Version : Pen & Ink Challenge

eef
12-26-2007, 03:57 PM
Lets see if I fall flat on my face :cool:

I recently finished a drawing of "Chrome Balls". On the thread the idea of a group challenge was mentioned. Now we have a variety of Pen & Ink techniques used here. So...lets see what YOU can come up with.

The ref photo is attached below and You can create a drawing in the style you choose, as long as it contains ink! I personally don't mind mixed media, so as I am starting this thing that rule stands :lol:

Closing date: 20th January 2008

eef
12-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Lets kick things off......here's mine

eef

mudslinger
12-26-2007, 05:34 PM
you have a bigger pic? my eyes ain't what they used to be...:lol:

eef
12-26-2007, 05:57 PM
you have a bigger pic? my eyes ain't what they used to be...:lol:

Only slightly bigger 630x390 ish! But...how do I get past the WC size restrictions (max 500x600)?

mudslinger
12-26-2007, 07:08 PM
probably just host it somewhere else and give the link would be easiest. either that or direct link to the image so it shows up here.

Vegas Art Guy
12-27-2007, 12:46 AM
Can you put it in the reference library? That would do the trick Ethan.

Ranger Dan
12-27-2007, 03:20 AM
alright, I'm game. Not sure how long it will take to get 'er done, but I'm in!

eef
12-27-2007, 04:26 AM
Sorry guys....went to bed!!

Give this a go:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=82498&size=big&cat=

So that it suits everyone, you are ok to use a little artistic licence. You may have noticed that I left out 2 spheres/balls furthest right. So you can isolate as little as you like as long as you use this ref image.

eef

mudslinger
12-27-2007, 05:38 AM
can i do a hitler? only one ball? :p:D

mmcgarrett
12-27-2007, 09:46 AM
Well, I've been trying to figure out what I want to start on now that I have finished my Christmas card - I think this might be it! I'm considering using colors - sort of like how shiny Christmas balls would reflect. I'll have to go looking at some reference pictures of colored balls. OK, gulp:eek: , I'm printing it off and diving in. I'm really slow so this might take a while!

Micki

PVHooper
12-27-2007, 10:14 AM
Fordy this is an unfair challenge because:

a. you have already done your entry
b. you set the standard so high

but as soon as I get back into the studio I am going to give it a go in stipple. cool project.

mudslinger
12-27-2007, 07:50 PM
but as soon as I get back into the studio I am going to give it a go in stipple.
me, too...his balls don't scare me! :D

note to self- buy a compass...

Bergere
12-27-2007, 10:22 PM
That is really good Fordy! Gad's I could not compete with you guys...you are all really good!

But I might give it a try next week....will see.

Vegas Art Guy
12-28-2007, 01:22 AM
looks interesting. I may give it a go as well.

devs66
12-28-2007, 10:40 PM
Sort of a WIP but might just end up on the pile of paper I am not sure I am going to toss out but will at sometime get tossed out.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Dec-2007/107437-DSCF0481a.gif

I decided to drop my balls in to the challenge and see how they bounce. But flat items rarely bounce wellJ

I did learn a few things along the way, one I really need a lot more practice with my value scales, and two making a metallic object look metallic is currently well outside my skill level. So I tried, failed, and yet I am still pleased with what I am learning. And that is why I have posted the result; it is another step for me into the dark underworld of stipple!

About the only thing a do like is the little man-on-the-moon that just appeared from nowhere on the uppermost ball like object that really looks more like a dented plate.

Stipple on People!

And Fordy another WOW on your penmanship!

elaine321
12-28-2007, 11:08 PM
I am certainly gonna give it a go, but my scanner just died so I am not sure when I will get it on WC. This will be a challenge indeed!!

PVHooper
12-29-2007, 01:45 AM
devs yours is looking good and yes you do have it. You just need to carry on and add a million other dots. There is one thing I learnt this year and that is you cannot have light without dark. it is amazing how dark you can go and still have light with the stipple technique. practice on a piece of paper and draw 10 little squares, the first one has no dots the last is black and then fill in the value scale inbetween and you will be amazed at how you drawing will come alive. Your value scale is too light at the moment cause if you look at the reference photo you will see the bowtie reflection on the balls is almost black. Nice start, really nice start.

mudslinger
12-29-2007, 06:16 AM
paul's right...there's a lot of contrast here with the values going literally from white to black. you've got a good start on it, but to me, it's just an outline at this stage. keep on going! :thumbsup:
i plan on starting to ink mine today after work. i've got my sketch layed in and ready to go...circles are hard to do without a compass...heh

objectivistartist
12-29-2007, 09:06 AM
circles are hard to do without a compass...hehVerily!! :evil:

elaine321
12-29-2007, 05:52 PM
I almost have my pencil drawing done. Boy what a job!!

For those of you who want it larger, I copied and pasted it into microsoft word and enlarged it there. Just make sure you drag it from the corner so that you don't distort it.

Ranger Dan
12-30-2007, 02:31 AM
Devs, I don't know how big you went, but keep working those darks and yours should round out just fine.

Here's my attempt. I think I forgot to erase the pencil lines on a few, but I must say it was quite different than I had expected....I only went about 4" x 8" and the detail was easier than I thought it might be (I expect going larger would be tougher). The round is difficult. Well, that and the sizes - trying to keep the small ones consistent. I think they look chromed and round enough for the most part at least.

MonicaB
12-30-2007, 11:45 AM
What a great idea, Ethan! And the entries so far are fantastic. . .

devs66
12-31-2007, 12:16 AM
I guess the I's have it - I will continue with this one. But first, my little nightmare right now, I have a new computer that I was given and have spent the last two days rebuilding - Power Supply, Ram, Video Card, All the System files and now to reload all the Software and files. It will be worth it, but the work to get it there is killing my doodle time:)

And Ranger Dan - Looking very good - I like it!

heavyiron
12-31-2007, 02:55 PM
Ranger Dan.....very cool work there...

Devs66, good start, I'd definately continue....

mudslinger
12-31-2007, 03:22 PM
i squeaked in before the new year...woo! yay!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Dec-2007/89131-shinyballs.jpg

Ranger Dan
12-31-2007, 04:15 PM
Looks super Len - a lot finer than mine, what size is this?

mudslinger
12-31-2007, 04:18 PM
11" X 14" bristol board...done with a 3x0 rapidograph. i think it would be better with a finer pen, though...:rolleyes:

i think i can do one of those spheres with my eyes shut at this point...:lol:

Ranger Dan
12-31-2007, 06:01 PM
a finer point on 11 x 14 and you'll never see the dots once shrunken. I just measured mine and it is 3 x 6 not 4 x 8.

mudslinger
01-01-2008, 09:26 AM
a finer point on 11 x 14 and you'll never see the dots once shrunken.
that's the idea! :lol:

i was just thinking that it would be easier to get that feel of "smoooooth" with a finer nib...either that or work bigger! :eek:

ethan- thanks a lot for posting this as a challenge, mate...it was a lot of fun (if not repetitious :p) to do and i learned a little about shadows and reflections from it. now you have me wanting to do an "escher sphere"! :D

note to self...buy the friggin' compass, willya?

objectivistartist
01-01-2008, 09:37 AM
i was just thinking that it would be easier to get that feel of "smoooooth" with a finer nibmaybe use a crow quill?

can imagine yes, ye could almost do those in yer head, just shifting the reflections properly..... [now - the next step is to use color, getting the proper reflections thereof with different colored balls...:evil::lol:]:rolleyes:

Ranger Dan
01-01-2008, 10:24 AM
now you have me wanting to do an "escher sphere"! :D

Y'know, I was thinkin' the samne thing. I have a picture of my wife & I in front of a sphere that I might give a go.

devs66
01-01-2008, 02:22 PM
can imagine yes, ye could almost do those in yer head, just shifting the reflections properly..... [now - the next step is to use color, getting the proper reflections thereof with different colored balls...:evil::lol:]:rolleyes:

That would be evil!

kitaye
01-01-2008, 05:47 PM
Oh cool. Just what I need to get me back into my pens. Thanks for posting the reference photo. I'll work on this starting tonight.

kitaye
01-02-2008, 09:43 AM
I decided to start with just three balls. I enjoyed it somuch I may do another picture with more balls. This was done in my sketch book and is about 4 x 5 inches. Done with a micron .005 black pen.

Ranger Dan
01-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Excellent job Dee. Be sure to post your next one here as well!!

Bergere
01-02-2008, 05:51 PM
Boy you guys are good! Glad we have till the end of Jan. at the rate I am going.
Have another commission and need to get that done first. Then I can play!!

devs66
01-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Ok, this time is my final - I hope.

Taking advice and pointers from variuos posts to this fourm I have done my best to learn a few more of the ideas and skills behind Stippling. I am happy with the result and ready to move on to something else. However comments will be taken in account on my next project as I am always trying to learn.

4" x 5" On Card Stock (White Scrapbooking paper) 0.05 and some 0.2 Copic Mutiliner SP

Side note - I really like these Copic Multiliners Very clean to work with, and with a heavier feel to them. I like a middle weight pen in my hand, gives me more control

TeriC
01-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Hi to all, I found this thread yesterday and it is so interesting that I want to try it. I love working in pen and ink but have never done stippling before and I love trying new things.

Thanks for starting this and that wonderful reference photo. It's a wowser!

Teri

eef
01-03-2008, 01:18 PM
:thumbsup: Some cool artwork being done here :thumbsup:

I knew this would look great done in Stipple....I still say you stipplers are crazy people :smug:

Tip: Kitaye & Devs....Why don't you spread the word and X-Post these in the miniature section of Wetcanvas? I think you just creep inside the guidelines set for miniature art (6"x4").

Link: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=219

eef

TeriC
01-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Here is my first ever attempt at stippling! Please don't laugh:lol: .
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2008/82043-steel_balls.jpg
I put the reference photo in also for quick comparison. That stippling sure takes A LOT of patience. After doing these balls I ran out of that patience.

Teri

mudslinger
01-03-2008, 03:58 PM
not bad for a first try... not bad at all!
you're right- it DOES take patience...if i can do it, anybody can do it! :D
just take little breaks now and then...you might surprise yourself! :thumbsup:

objectivistartist
01-03-2008, 04:43 PM
just take little breaks now and thenThat is precisely the trick with stippling - ye canna do it in one spell, na qualitywise anyway..... [and yer hand'll thank ye too...:lol::lol:]

kitaye
01-05-2008, 11:06 AM
As promised, or threatened depending on your point of view, I decided to give this challenge another go. This time I not only included more balls but I also made the whole drawing bigger. This one is approximately 6" x 8".

I lost control of my darks and lights in a couple of the spheres. I think I was getting tired. This one took me about 12 hrs in total, spread over three days, to complete. To date this is my largest and most intricate stipple drawing.

mudslinger
01-05-2008, 11:28 AM
good job! your stippling looks a lot more uniform in this one...we might have a convert! ;):D

eef
01-05-2008, 12:33 PM
....we might have a convert!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Try crosshatch!

Anyway....Another excellent drawing Kitaye. Your really getting to grips with stippling.

eef

tvandeb
01-05-2008, 10:32 PM
Is it too late to join this;:confused: I'm not a stippler; but I'm sure I could come up with something? Take care.....:wave:

mudslinger
01-06-2008, 06:47 AM
go ahead! you don't have to stipple it...

kitaye
01-06-2008, 10:34 AM
I seriously thought about doing this in crosshatch or something else other than stipple. I was a bit scared of doing that much stippling. But when I tried it on a practice ball it just didn't look right.

mudslinger
01-06-2008, 05:01 PM
i'm scared of doing that much crosshatching, myself! :lol:

devs66
01-06-2008, 08:28 PM
i'm scared of doing that much crosshatching, myself! :lol:

I'll second that - Not that I have even started to try any crosshatching - ever!

Hmm - I am doodling some to learn the concepts but I find it so difficult to even doodle a simple tree. not sure I will ever try anything complex.

My hat is off to those that do, and that are so good at it!

mkayi
01-07-2008, 06:49 AM
folks,

the prospect of having to try this frightens hell outta me - no matter wether stippled or hatched.
I am stunned by the value accuracy you folks achieve in ink.

Truly amazing work.

tvandeb
01-09-2008, 10:21 PM
Oay; I chickened-out only did three of the balls... :p My interpretation looks abstract? So much cross-hatching I was cross-eyed..:lol:
C/c and comments welcome please..... Great one Fordy!!:clap: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jan-2008/71359-silverballspenandinkchallange.jpg [/QUOTE]

Ranger Dan
01-10-2008, 03:17 AM
Great job Tammy! They may look a bit abstract mostly because they are 'floating' without the shadows underneath them.

kitaye
01-10-2008, 10:43 AM
They look pretty good to me. I agree that the shadows underneath would remove the floating effect, firmly grounding them.

Eternity
01-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Are the reproductions being done from light tables (traces)?
How do you get the balls so round and lined up so nice? I don't think I could do this totally by sight.
I sometimes use rulers, plates and templates for shapes to enhance the borders of my pieces, but not for the actual focus (animals, trees, etc.) of the art piece. The focus has to be done freehand by sight for me otherwise it's not really a challenge. Would using a template for something like the "Great Ball Challenge" be considered cheating? Since the balls ARE the focus.
Opinions needed.
Thanks,
Cheryl

Ranger Dan
01-10-2008, 01:36 PM
If you think it wouldn't be much of a challenge to use a template, then go freehand. I used a dime for the middle-sized balls, the rest are freehand. I realized shortly after starting that I should have used a dime for the small ones a nickel for the middle and a quarter for the larger. Not sure if it would have been perfect, but it seems about right. If nothing else you could do something like that and go slightly larger or smaller than the circle, but use the circle as a reference.

I almost picked up a big light table for about $100 once, but without the room for it I couldn't justify it. That and I never trace anyhow. Might be nice to be able to sketch stuff out and then put it all together without so much penciling & erasing.

kitaye
01-10-2008, 02:44 PM
I used a template to create the roundness, otherwise I would have had oblongs and flat bottoms.

Eternity
01-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Oh cool! I never thought of using coins. That's a good idea. I'm going to test my skill on these balls. See if I can get the shading right. I cannot scan anything right now which really sucks so not that it would matter to anyone else. It's a good lesson so long as nobody thinks I'm cheating by not doing it freehand.

Eternity
01-10-2008, 07:33 PM
And Dan, I agree about the drawing. I have to do everything freehand to really make it a good challenge and enhance my perspective on things. I usually use 3 or 4 good pictures of a subject at different angles and then make my own rendering. With perfect circles though - that's a bit much even for the retentive such as myself. I don't think 3 or 4 good photos of chrome balls (at different angles - LOL) would do me much good.
Thanks,
Cheryl

mudslinger
01-10-2008, 08:22 PM
i used PSP to layout my sketch, but i freehanded the stipple work. i got a circle template to check my work...not bad except for a couple spheres that were a little eggy...:rolleyes:

if i were doing this seriously, for sale or whatever, i would probably use the template to make sure my sketch was perfectly round and freehand it from there.

objectivistartist
01-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Hmmm - truth will out, huh....:eek::lol::lol::rolleyes:

Vegas Art Guy
01-11-2008, 01:36 AM
I printed out the ref pic and I'll probably give it a go once I finish that guitar pick drawing. I'm still deciding on how realistic I'll go or if I'll give it the 'vegas' touch. We'll see. I need to find my template though first. I am horrible at free handing a circle or even an approximation of one. :lol:

eef
01-11-2008, 04:56 AM
I used the grid along with my circle templates. Free handing circles is near impossible. Sometimes I trace, it all depends on how I want it to look and whether it's a commission. Like other people I always want to make the next one better, sometimes they are, sometimes not! But I will use whatever tools are to hand to get the desired results. I aim for realism, so things need to be the shape, size etc that they should be. However, we are only talking about 30% of the drawing, the other 70% is free hand when you get hold of your pen. That's where the magic begins!

eef

Eternity
01-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Hey, thanks for all the opinions. This is really helpful. At any rate, you all have some good-looking balls. :eek:
If I put the Cheryl touch on it, I would probably draw a kid in a lower corner with a bubble wand. LOL So much for getting the metallic likeness.

tvandeb
01-11-2008, 03:08 PM
I also use a grid; and do alot of measuring, sounds wierd, but it works for me. Take care....:wave:

tvandeb
01-11-2008, 06:09 PM
Here's an update; I think these look better; not floating....:lol: :p
Take care....:wave: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jan-2008/71359-silverballsupdate.jpg

kitaye
01-12-2008, 09:58 AM
Much better. Good Job.

eef
01-16-2008, 08:17 AM
Just a reminder that this challenge ends on 20th January '08. So get your drawings entered!! The thread will then be closed.

eef

Vegas Art Guy
01-17-2008, 01:03 AM
Lovely, I just barely started mine and I only have like 3 days?!?!

mudslinger
01-17-2008, 07:01 AM
dot faster! dot faster! ;):lol:

eef
01-17-2008, 09:32 AM
Sorry guys, I did state a closing date in the initial thread :evil:

You'd better get a move on :wink2:

eef

Vegas Art Guy
01-17-2008, 09:52 AM
I'll do my best!

devs66
01-17-2008, 02:48 PM
dot faster! dot faster! ;):lol:

Clock ticking! Tick Tock Tick Tock!

Vegas Art Guy
01-17-2008, 07:58 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jan-2008/23340-Chrome_Balls_Threesome_WC.jpg

Dot dot dot dot dot done!

mudslinger
01-17-2008, 08:08 PM
cool...a different composition! :clap:

Vegas Art Guy
01-17-2008, 08:15 PM
Thanks. The big circle was the inside of a masking tape roll...

kitaye
01-18-2008, 07:13 AM
Very nice. This would make a nice design for a christmas card, I think.

Vegas Art Guy
01-18-2008, 10:43 AM
yes it would maybe if I start now I'll have one done for the next go-round...

eef
01-18-2008, 11:08 AM
Nice one Greg. You'll have dots and circles on the mind for weeks! That would look great in a round mount.

eef

Tdot
01-18-2008, 02:38 PM
I decided to give it a try for some practice, I used the smaller nib Micron 005 pen this time. I still want to get me some even smaller nib pens. I think everyone did a nice job on this, it was a really challenging subject.

Vegas Art Guy
01-18-2008, 04:36 PM
Thanks Ethan and I was thinking the same thing about a round mount for that drawing.

Tdot... Daaaaaang, that is sweet!

kitaye
01-18-2008, 06:45 PM
Very Nice Tdot. The blue paper is a nice touch too. What size is it?

Tdot
01-18-2008, 07:00 PM
Thanks Vegas and Kitaye. The paper is 9 x 12 and I cropped maybe an 1 1/2 inches around the outside. Its actually white paper but our scanner is broke and I take the photos without flash so it came out with a blue tint.