PDA

View Full Version : Painting Goals for 2008?

LJW
12-26-2007, 11:12 AM
Now that Christmas is over, the New Year isn't far away. I've been thinking about things I need to concentrate on, in order to improve. My two goals are:

1. to slow down and to take care to finish a painting properly, even if that means missing out on some WDE challenges.
2. to do some larger paintings, allowing for more detail, and creating more impact, even if that means using up more OPs.

So, what are your painting goals for 2008? Let us know what you are planning to work on. It may give others an idea for their goals. Jane

Pat Isaac
12-26-2007, 02:54 PM
My biggest painting goal for this year is to get ready for a solo show I will be having in July and August. I need about 15 - 20 paintings and I would like most of them to be new work.
I also want to start participating in the sketch thread and the challenge again.
In other words I want to be able to spend more time at my studio in the next several months.

Pat

wabbitt
12-26-2007, 03:53 PM
Hmm, well, I'm up to #31 of the 100 OP challenge. I'm still working at it.

I'll be continuing my life drawing classes, so since I'm no longer in the "A" section, I want to do more in color, preferrably in OP.

I'll have three opportunities to join art competitions this year (that I know about at this time), I'd like to get something into all three. So that means I'll need to do more painting and use my sketches more to work out my ideas rather than just for the sake of sketching.

Morgaine
12-26-2007, 07:04 PM
Hi, Everyone - I'm new here.

My goal for 2008 is to paint/draw something every week. I'm very lax in doing work. I'll go for months without doing anything, and I'm never going to be any good at my art if I don't do more of it.

laika
12-26-2007, 09:54 PM
My goal for 2008 is to paint/draw something every week.
welcome, Morgaine! your goal is a worthy goal and very similar to my aspirations for 2008 :-)

i have actually been taking instruction in art lately and i now understand that i need to practice, practice, practice my drawing. none of my instruction so far has involved OPs, though, so i'm gonna have to pick those up again on my own. (i can't remember the last time i posted an image in the forum here, but hopefully my next will be soon and much improved.)

Geoff
12-27-2007, 06:36 AM
My goals for 2008 are :

1) Draw more. :thumbsup:

2) Paint more. :lol:

3) Ditto 1) & 2) again. :cat: :cat:

4) Ignore 1), 2) & 3). :evil: ( the word more is wrong !! :wink2: )

5) Draw & Paint each and every week !!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cool: :cool: :angel:

I haven't done a great deal in recent years - I MUST be disciplined and get on with it - no more excuses........... :crying: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Andi Rebirth
12-27-2007, 07:53 AM
I haven't been here for awhile, my husband's mom died and I had cataract surgery, so, if they heal good I can see better. I lost alot of detail in my work and hopefully this will return. I got the whole set of senn oil pastels and tons of paper, so as soon as I can, will resume making some really large florals. I want to do some macros.
I hope everyone had a lovely christmas.
So my goals, paint, draw, experiment! Andi:thumbsup:

Pat Isaac
12-27-2007, 08:04 AM
Sorry to hear about your husband's mom, Andi. You should do well with that surgery. It was a huge boon to my husband.
Have fun with those Senns!

Pat

Plynlimon
12-27-2007, 08:22 AM
I know the feeling Andi...I recently lost my Mum after a "routine" hip operation and I recovering from an operation for a detached retina in my right eye....soon to have a cataract op on it as well. However, it is good to be painting once again even if it is difficult focussing :D

My goals for 2008...well:

1: Paint at least once a week (maily watercolour but dabble in Pastel and oils)
2: Improve my technique
3: Become more loose in style
oh and
4: Learn to draw properly!

Daffydd

LJW
12-27-2007, 09:30 AM
Welcome to the new members, Morgaine and Daffydd. Hope to see some of your oil pastels during the year.

Hope to see more paintings from those who, for various reasons, have been unable to paint much recently - Pat, Geoff, and Andrea.

Laika, hope to see some of your OP paintings again.

Julie, it's great that you'll be able to use your OPs in the new term.

Jane

Andi Rebirth
12-27-2007, 10:02 AM
Thanks eveyone, I was so frustrated with my lack of sight. I used to do such detailed florals, now I can do both, Ha! happy painting to all! Just found out this morning my daughter, Youngest, has a new baby boy!
Glenn Benjamin ! So that's five for me. Can't wait to go and see him. Probably spring. Yeah!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Shirl Parker
12-27-2007, 02:15 PM
Put paint of some kind to paper or some kind of support every day.

Shirl

laika
12-29-2007, 12:41 AM
yikes, can i ever sympathize with those scary eye problems! i have an advanced cataract on my right eye after surgery for a detached retina well over a year ago.

the surgery went well, so i consider myself as having eyesight-in-waiting behind that cataract :). could've been worse...

Peiwend
12-29-2007, 12:42 PM
Since I already have to paint pretty much every day, my goal is to paint less but to paint better and more effectively. I need to work more on the skies and water in the paintings as well as have more spontaneity. Since painting the light is the foundation of painting, I need to move more in that direction as well as develop a distinct atmosphere and style in each painting.

The most enjoyable thing in being an artist is gathering the reference material - whether that be photographing or sketching. I want to get more sunrise and very early morning references. With good inspiring reference material, that you create yourself, the work is so much easier and satisfying.

Andrea, it must be a relief knowing that the surgery is done.

Pat, I'm glad to hear that you got a new camera and hope that you will use it a lot. An SLR is so much better for capturing the light.

I hope that you all will get a chance not only to paint more but to paint better.

Jane, I hope that you get to paint like the proverbial millionaire who owns a big art supply store. It might be a good idea to periodically bring up this thread throughout the year so we can report on our progress in accomplishing our goals.

Finally, I guess the goal for all of us is to enjoy life and appreciate the beauty of nature.

____________________________Wendell