PDA

View Full Version : St Andrews Harbour Sunset

charliedawg
12-26-2007, 07:55 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-26-2007/125969_StAndHarbourHalf_(500_x_320).jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: St Andrews Harbour Sunset
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: approx 18 x 12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This was my second try at watercolour glazing mainly with Alizarin Crimson and French Utramarine - probably overdid it a bit but you definitely get more of a glow to the painting than by just mixing the colours on your palette.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
All comments gratefully received but remember it is Christmas.......

Ronni
12-26-2007, 10:06 AM
So glad you've joined us. Welcome! Your painting is awesome. Very professional and has an ideal feel to it. Show us more!

Smoker
12-26-2007, 12:57 PM
Hey Charlie,

You do beautiful work. However, if that really is a harbor...I think your ocean is drying up! :evil:

Just kidding - remember it's Christmas!

Your colors are perfect. I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't find this painting completely captivating.

Great job,

Smoker

Corby
12-26-2007, 01:09 PM
Watercolor is quite often and rightfully so cherished for its looseness and mercurial qualities. I like this especially because it is a classical old world handling of the medium. There is control here and the glow of the painting is a large reward. Welcome to the WC!

Paulafv
12-26-2007, 01:21 PM
This is a beautiful painting. Love the colors and the small waterfalls in the foreground. Happy New Year. Welcome to Wet Canvas...there's a friendly bunch here in every forum.

Looking forward to more of your paintings.

Paula

kathrynlovespets
12-26-2007, 06:06 PM
lovely movement and great calm mood conveyed...very peaceful.
I want to be there

maw-t
12-26-2007, 08:47 PM
so pretty.. Well done. Professional looking!

charliedawg
12-27-2007, 07:11 AM
Many thanks to everyone for their kind comments and for welcoming me to the forum.

For Smoker who is concerned how the boats get out the harbour - the harbour entrance is off to the right and the little stream at the bottom of the painting just flows back and forth depending on the tide. Glad we got that sorted.

All best wishes to everyone for 2008.

thomas w
12-27-2007, 08:55 AM
Simply Beautiful. Great range in values and excellent detail.
Thomas W

Anthony Nightowl
12-27-2007, 02:18 PM
I think the colours of the buildings and the top area are beautful but the lower area just isn't of the same quality its like you wonted to make an end. What do you think.

charliedawg
12-27-2007, 03:15 PM
Hi Anthony

Could well be right - I was trying to leave it a bit looser in the foreground - sometimes it works- sometimes it just looks a bit unkempt. In my defense, the old signature is well up the painting and I have cropped it a bit nearer the signature for framing.

KYRed
12-28-2007, 03:24 AM
I like the looseness you have achieved. Something I don't do well with watercolor. Great job using glazing. I enjoy this painting and it seems to have life to me.

Anthony Nightowl
12-31-2007, 11:46 AM
Please post a pic of your peace in its frame when you get it done

nanavatip
12-31-2007, 02:18 PM
amazing...just cant stop looking at it

SimonAndrews
12-31-2007, 05:22 PM
very nice piece! The colors are great overall and I really like your treatment of the foreground, especially the rocks/dirt. I like the overall mood of the piece too.
The thing that bothers me the most is the sky, treatment of water, and the distant houses.
sky- something isn't jiving with me on your choice of colors, maybe it's the yellow, blue, red combo. The rest of the piece suggests a more muted, grayed sky perhaps?

water- it doesn't look like water. There is a dark band behind the distant boats that doesn't look right to me - is it a sea wall? perhaps something could be done to separate it from the water. The water isn't reflecting right to look like water, and it doesn't carry a watery look as it continues to the stream in foreground. (this seems to be an odd arrangement of nature to me: harbour and stream)

distant houses - they look like they are lit by spotlights from below and the mountains/rocks to the left look odd flowing into buildings. The shapes of the skyline looks a bit over-worked and some of the shapes appear weak because of it. I'd suggest doing small detail in the background with smaller, sharper tools, or with much more broad ones, eg, the side of a broader brush.

The foreground houses to the left are fabulous! The grays are great.
It might be nice to see them pulled away from the background a bit more. Perhaps you could use value contrasts and your blues to greater effect to achieve this. I'd suggest doing even less detail in your background as well, just to contrast detail/flat a bit more.

It might alsoo be nice to bring some more of the greenish colors from the bottom right into the rest of the painting - sort of balance out the colors more. The bottom right side looks a bit isolated, color-wise, from the rest. This is just a small detail :)

-simon

charliedawg
12-31-2007, 05:40 PM
Hi Simon

We get these types of sky here in Scotland but basically although the drawing of the scene was fairly realistic (yes that little stream is there in reality!) the painting was not meant to be particularly realistic in terms of colour - I was experimenting with watercolour glazing so maybe it got a bit theatrical.

Anyway, thanks for the constructive criticism.

meritaten
01-01-2008, 10:06 AM
Beautiful!
I know that view - you've captured it well.
The only point of constructive criticism I could possibly make is that the water of the stream could use some reflection from the sky, it's is slightly too flat.

Kay.