PDA

View Full Version : vertical or horizontal?

mudslinger
12-26-2007, 07:41 AM
just a question out of curiosity...

how do you work- on a flat table or propped up like using an easel?
personally, i work on a drafting table either flat or with a slight incline. i don't know if i can work vertically...painting maybe, but not using a pen.

also, (totally off subject) i'm looking for some ideas for storage and organization to start the new year off right... my space is a mess! :rolleyes:

objectivistartist
12-26-2007, 09:27 AM
for my large, used to do it vertical - but hard, as ye noted..... now, take the 3x4 board and lay across the drafting table, and lean over, using the small board to lay on while working....

MonicaB
12-26-2007, 05:11 PM
Usually flat or a slight incline, unless I'm sneaking in some inking at work, when I will ink however I can. :D

Vegas Art Guy
12-27-2007, 12:44 AM
Flat most of the time. Stippling is hard enough without trying to do it on an easel.

mudslinger
12-27-2007, 05:51 AM
yeah, i figured as much...stupid question, really, but what the heck.
i would like to know if anybody has some innovative (read "cheap" :D) storage ideas for large papers and stuff in general...pics would be cool...;)

MonicaB
12-27-2007, 11:57 AM
I have a couple of files sorters on various tables/bookshelves. It's not good for really large paper, but that should be flat, anyway. It's good for tablets of paper, folders of photo refs, etc.

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?&langId=-1&storeId=10001&productId=17853&splCatType=0&catalogId=10051&cmArea=FEATURED:SC1:CG30:DP1203:CL142108

objectivistartist
12-27-2007, 12:12 PM
Have my set of vinyl records in plastic cases [like milk crates - they made them for records in the old days], and my large papers are in garbage bags [heavy duty] piled on top of those records... makes it somewhat easy to carry, and they not get light or dust or whatever on them....:thumbsup: admit not the most aesthetic way, but it functions...

RWSewell
12-27-2007, 04:54 PM
I work with a slight incline on my drafting table. I tried vertical once and my wrists did not appreciate it. It would make more practical sense if I worked with pastels, but for me not necessary with inks and colored pencil.

I bought a couple of acrylic sorters from Staples to hold my pens, pencils, erasers, tortillions, etc. Two of those work great. For my colored pencils I made my own organizer using 12 small plastic cups from Walmart (maybe 25 cents each) and a shoebox. I'll post a photo of my work space tomorrow if the sun is out. Not even 4 o'clock here and the house is already a labyrinth of shadows...hate these short days...:(

objectivistartist
12-27-2007, 07:32 PM
I get those six-pack containers of peach tea mix [like Crystal, but Walmart generic], cut them in half, and use those for the pencils, after first stapling them together... [and yes, that means keeping the container cap, for use as the other bottom]...

Bergere
12-27-2007, 10:30 PM
Flat most of the time here too. Normally sit a Gator board in my lap and use that as my drawing table.

Storage ideas... do not have much room in this small house. So most of what I use is either in boxes under the bed or on a small shelf in my hutch.

PVHooper
12-28-2007, 03:43 AM
Well I have a table top easel and my drawing gets clipped onto board so that sometimes I work at this angle or that, flat and even upside down. Whatever seems right for the bit I am doing. Think a good drawing board is a good investment for me for the new year.

sttaffy
12-28-2007, 05:45 PM
I usually blue tape the paper to a rigid surface that's slightly larger, like a canvas board (which is basically very stiff cardboard). this makes the drawing easy to turn every which way and very portable.

elaine321
12-29-2007, 06:06 PM
God I miss my drafting table!! When the kids came along the drafting table went, just had no room for it. It was huge.
These days I sit in the lounge with a book on my lap!! :0(

as for storage the big sheets of paper are in big folders (some are just cardboard stapled together) under my bed. It is the only flat spot that is safe.

DBSullivan
12-29-2007, 08:04 PM
Len, I recently started planning to do some major reorganizing. And since I know you're the handy sort, I thought I'd share my idea of building a "stackable print storage unit" using 1x4s (or 2x4s) and thin masonite (or 1/4 inch plywood).

Here's my idea...

I'm thinking a 2' x 4' sheet for each "shelf", but you could make it what ever size you need. After the first shelf (the upper one) is assembled, I'm going to drill holes through my 1x4 side pieces and use long screws to secure them to the 1x4 above. I'll attach another masonite shelf from the bottom and repeat until I have the amount of shelves I want.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Dec-2007/61349-print_storage_bin_01.jpg

Add a back & sides (to cover up the 1x4s and to add stability), and attach a front drop-down door using hinges, a magnetic cabinet latch, a wooden handle, and maybe a chain to prevent the door from dropping down.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Dec-2007/61349-print_storage_bin_02.jpg

I suppose you could lose the middle 1x4 to create an extra large storage shelf as long as you add a support across the front edge of the shelf to prevent sagging.

To keep it easy to move around, I'm planning to make several sections with 3-4 shelves each. That way I can stack them to make a single unit. You could even stack different sizes, such as below.. a smaller on on top of three larger ones.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Dec-2007/61349-print_storage_bin_03.jpg

Hope this helps

mudslinger
12-29-2007, 08:49 PM
i was thinking about doing something along those lines and attaching it to the ceiling above my drafting table since i have a low ceiling in my little room here.
i don't have a lot of room in my room, so i need to go up! :D plus, this is an old house with no storage space, so it can be chaotic sometimes!

here's a good tip- i saw a good little organizer made of a plant flat and the little square pots that comes with it when you buy seedlings...works good for organizing your pens, pencils and brushes...:thumbsup: