PDA

View Full Version : What did you get for Christmas?? :)

mrking
12-25-2007, 01:37 PM
Since we all most likely recieved something pastel related for Christmas it would be interesting post what goodies Santa brought you.

CarbOthello Pastel Pencils - 60 set
Nutpastels - 96 set (woohoo)
Wallis Belgium mist pad- 9x12
French Easel from Costco - not bad quality for $40!!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, me love Christmas!! :clap::thumbsup:

bnoonan
12-25-2007, 01:44 PM
Hurrah for you!!!! Santa skunked me this year on art supplies but that doesn't mean I can't use that gift certificate from the art shop for framing....

Enjoy them and Merry Christmas to you!!!!

Barb

WC Lee
12-25-2007, 01:49 PM
full set of pan pastels
25 piece landscape set and 25 piece landscape greens, both Mount Vision

(of course, I had to pick them out myself so I got what I wanted :D as nobody else in my family knows anything about art supplies)

Goewyn
12-25-2007, 01:56 PM
Not necessarily pastel related, but got "Drawing and Painting Animals" by Edward Aldrich. The "OOooh" factor was quite high upon opening it. :)

-- Linda

annepropst
12-25-2007, 02:45 PM
Excellent husband!!! He gave me the full set oil pastel by Holbein. I am so excited. Daughter gave me portrait set of Senniliers. I can't wait to start enjoying.

Hope all of you had a great holiday.:clap:

Donna A
12-25-2007, 02:46 PM
My Christmas/pastel-related treat is that two of my great-nieces are home for a week from college and each will sit for me in the next several days to do portraits with my Pan and probably also stick pastels. One 'right now' has gorgeous black hair, flowing straight and her sister 'right now' has honey blond hair with beautiful big, loose spiral curls. And both have grown into such lovely young women. So---big treat! At least for Elisa, the blond, I'll set up a mirror so that she can see the progression of the portrait, since she is majoring in art. She thought that would be pretty interesting.

Hope you all have as much fun as I will! Wishing you all great joy---and a LOT of DELIGHT with whatever your loved ones have shared with you! Donna ;-}

chewie
12-25-2007, 02:48 PM
well, i got nada under the tree--but we're building a house come spring, with a FABULOUS studio in the basement, so its not a bad thing!!! its been a good holiday, my family is safe and healthy and happy, and we are more blessed than i can count.

Deborah Secor
12-25-2007, 03:23 PM
I was given a surprise yesterday involving pastels. See, the down side of being a longtime pro is that no one gives you art supplies! Why would they? One of the wonderful perks of being a pro, however, is that sometimes the folks who make the materials give some to you... I was given the opportunity to write a review of the PanPastels, which will come out soon in the PJ, and Berni Ward made sure I had some of the product to use, of course. But yesterday she surprised me with a gift of the whole rest of the line, so that now I have all the colors (and a few extras, I think.) I was so delighted to receive a nice big box on Christmas Eve! Wasn't that nice???

Merry Christmas! :wave:

Deborah

CJMonty
12-25-2007, 05:59 PM
I got the Full Set of Pan Pastels and in the New Year I will be getting a Spa Installed just outside our bedroom, how nice is that.

Take Care
Lots of Love Carolynn :clap::heart::heart::heart:

David Patterson
12-25-2007, 06:02 PM
It's all about who you smooze...right Deborah!?:D

Well...nothing pastel related with me...except for a full set of.............LOVE! Given to me by my beautiful wife and wonderful son. Actually I did get an art related gift from my son...he updated my Photoshop software with PS2 - :thumbsup: :D

I'll have to show you all the glass paper weights that I made my wife, and a few of my special friends. I've made 7 of them over the past couple of months. Maybe I'll post them in the weekly scumble later this week.

Well...it's still Christmas...so...Merry Christmas!!

Hey...I'm in the Seattle area, and it's actually snowng outside!!

David

K Taylor-Green
12-25-2007, 08:05 PM
My youngest daughter got me a gift certificate to Blicks!! I can definitely make that pastel related!

johndill01
12-25-2007, 11:52 PM
My gift was not pastel related. Had all 4 of the children and all of the grandkids (4) for most of Christmas Eve to attend a candlelight service at one of the area churches and then spend most of today together, before all going their seperate ways. Could not ask for anything more.

Hope all had a Merry Christmas!

John

PeggyB
12-26-2007, 01:29 AM
Well my gift is sorta art related. I wanted a laptop computer so I could take it to the studio to paint the images I have stored. A monitor image is much more clear and detailed than any photos. So I'm writing on my new laptop! This one even has a webcamera installed so once I learn how to use it I can talk to and see my daughter in Oklahoma on the laptop since her laptop has the same feature- what's this world coming to? lol

We had a wonderful morning watching our 20 month old granddaughter open her presents - and then insisting upon "helping" everyone else open theirs. It's amazing how fast a toddler can learn how to tear off paper! A bit later our other son and his family arrived and we did the same thing all over before enjoying our annual Christmas day brunch at "Nana's house". I don't mind the cooking and baking, and I'm very grateful everyone else does the cleanup cuz by then I'm ready for a nap.

I hope everyone has a wonderful New Year.

Peggy

Dougwas
12-26-2007, 04:45 AM
My wife and kids spoiled me rotten. I got a 78 stick Great American Doug Dawson set, the 20 Painting set of Pan Pastels AND a Wacom tablet:eek: . My son is going to teach me how to use the Wacom before he goes back home in the new year. He is a Graphic Designer and uses his alot.

I hope everybody had a great Christmas. Mine was fantastic. It was the first time we saw our son in a year.:) And we still have him for another week.

Doug

palettetalk
12-26-2007, 05:15 AM
I got a set of the new Terry Ludwig Intense Dark 2 ...gorgeous, rich colours!

I hope everyone enjoys a happy,healthy. art-full 2008.

Paint on!
Susan

maggie latham
12-26-2007, 07:51 AM
Hello everyone,
Well, apart form the Open M box I mentioned last week, I had two lovely pastel books also. The first one by Maggie Price, was one I had bought a few months ago, but in a ‘throw out’ mood to reduce the size of our shipment to England, It went into the Salvation Army pile! Anyhow it found it’s way back to me via Amazon Books and my sister in law and Santa! The second book was Raw Color by Mark Leach…a book I have wanted to look out for quite a while.

Deborah, I noticed your review of PP in the new PJ, also thought the whole magazine looked cleaner and more exciting than usual. Plus, a few months ago you had suggested to me in one of the posts to make a black and white under painting….and low and behold there is a demo in Maggie’s book by you on that very subject.

Great to hear everyone had a lot of art related gifts…..
Maggie

reisSUEd
12-26-2007, 10:22 AM
8 PanPastel colors open stock, 25 set of Girault skintones, and a digital SLR camera so I can take better reference photos. But I think the coolest gift this year was given to my son. He got the Fisher-Price Digital Arts and Activities Studio, which is like a Wacom made simple for kids, so he can paint along side me when I use my wacom, and best of all, no mess lol

nana b
12-26-2007, 11:57 AM
I got m-o-n-e-y for a-r-t for Christmas! It is going to be spent on a tent and displays come the first of 2008 (didn't need any more deductions for 2007:lol: ) But the very best part of Christmas was my family. I got hugs and snuggles from all:heart:

God has surely blessed this country!

nana

Doodlebug1967
12-26-2007, 02:08 PM
The first best thing I got was an early finish on my husbands radiation. Our first Christmas as a married couple together and we didn't have to give his cancer treatments nary a thought! He gave me a $100 gift certificate to Dakota Pastels to pick out what I want. My mom and dad gave me a landscape starter set of Unisons. My uncle gave my husband and I a sizeable money gift and I don't know how many art supplies I want to get with my half or a new apply laptop (indirectly art related)! I got lots of other nice non-art related stuff that I won't mention. Got to spend time with my family (the best part) and eat yummy food. Yes indeed, I am truly blessed!

Ronda

Deborah Secor
12-26-2007, 02:20 PM
It's all about who you smooze...right Deborah!?:D

David

:eek: David! I didn't smooze for this! YOU know that! :lol: It was just a nice gift from another of the tremendously generous people I often meet in the art world, especially this little pastel corner over here.

Best gift I received: Uninterrupted TIME with my husband and son, time to talk and laugh and share. Sounds like a lot of you got that same gift! :heart:

Deborah

Shari
12-26-2007, 03:44 PM
We had a wonderful Christmas here. We get a whole week with our oldest daughter who brought her significant other and our youngest just moved back home so the whole family is together till the end of this week!! We ate way too much yesterday but it was so good. I got a very nice Canon Digital camera, 8 megapixels with 10x Optical zoom for landscape pics that I will then paint from. I am still working on convincing my husband that I must have the whole set of Giraults! He will come around eventually.

Pat Isaac
12-26-2007, 04:02 PM
No pastels, but I did get a new digital camera. SLR Nikon D40, so I can now take high resolution images of my paintings.....
Everyone sounds like they had a great da.

Pat

Morgaine
12-26-2007, 05:31 PM
Hi - This is my first post here on WC.

I got a lot of various papers, the 20 pan set of Pan Pastels and the "New Colors" set of Sennelier Oil pastels to go with the complete set I have from a few years ago. I also got a book called Raw Color in Pastels. I also got a lot of various kinds of pencils - Walnut Hollow Oil Pencils, Dick Blick colored pencils (which ROCK!), Derwent Coloursoft, Graphitint and some open stock Inktense. I got some other non-pastel related supplies, too.

Kathryn Wilson
12-26-2007, 11:52 PM
I had a great Christmas with family - always the best present. Things I received were a full length mirror (for my self portrait project), a pack of the Wallis Pro mounted on board from Dakota. For my gift to myself, I used the last of my painting sales money to purchase some pastels online from an artist in dire straights. A full set of Art Spectrum in a wonderful wood box; a 50 stick set of Giraults (brilliants); and a 30 stick set of Schmincke's in a wood box - all unused! The prices I paid I would be too embarrassed to post - suffice to say, I did very well.

Tracy Lang
12-27-2007, 10:40 PM
I've loved reading about the thoughtful artsy gifts that have been received!

Christmas was a bit hectic as my kitchen remodel finished the week before and I was hosting Christmas Eve dinner!!! We had a wonderful time and being with family and friends is what truly makes the season special.

My husband gave me the Unison Landscape 72 set!!! The colors are just exquisite! I also got a Ravenna sketch easel and set of sable brushes (for oils). Can't wait to put it all to good use!

Here's to a happy and successful 2008!!!

Tracy

JamieWG
12-27-2007, 11:00 PM
Ooooh, how wonderful to hear about everybody's pastel and art-related gifts! Hubby gave me a signed copy of Robert Genn's new art book. My son gave me a navigation system so that I can find my way to my plein air events! I also ordered a few presents for myself from Dick Blick, and went to Jerry's Artarama in Norwalk yesterday to take advantage of a 20% off coupon. So I am well-gifted this year! I need to do more pastel work in 2008.

Jamie

Tracer
12-27-2007, 11:48 PM
We had a great Christmas at our house too! Aside from the major game playing we had going from the Wii game set my husband bought us all. He gave me a set of 96 Nupastels and I have been playing with them every chance I get. Great fun....Happy New Year everyone!!!

bluefish
12-28-2007, 11:06 AM
Got a bright blue hooded sweatshirt with 'bluefish' emblazoned across the back in orange lettering and my initials on the sleeve!!!!!!!!!!!

Now 'bluefish' will be easily recognized!!!!!!!!!:lol:

ElsieH
12-28-2007, 02:03 PM
Drool, drool, drool!:p
I did not get any pastel related materials this year, but
as I work in watercolor as well, I got three Kolinsky round brushes that I've been wanting...I have this Brush Thing...Ok, I sort of collect 'em :lol:
and a folding small travel palette.
Then my daughter is trying to get me to try acrylics, so she sent me some tubes of Liquidex Acrylics, a canvas pad and some disposible palettes she likes.....nudge, nudge to MOM! :p
But, I'm about to get a sort of pastel gift: my husband, a math prof. is going to San Diego to a math conference and I'm going along (little break from painting snow in Wisconsin)....hoping to get some painting time....Yes, I remember to tell the airport guy they are "chalks" for art. :lol:
:wave:

Lynnzieartsy
12-28-2007, 02:43 PM
I got money for whatever art supplies I needed so I'm writing up a list.

Dot Hoffman
12-29-2007, 01:31 PM
We spent Christmas with my grandson's family, spoiling the great-grandbaby who is now WALKING!!!! and she won't be one year old until the end of January. We missed my grandson terribly, but he's doing what soldiers do in Iraq. We talked to him, how wonderful. That was the best present of all. Art related? A gift certificate to Dick Blick :clap: and a pile of pastel art books. My library grows!!! I'm a happy camper.

focus06
12-30-2007, 03:07 AM
Hello
What did I get for Christmas- Art supplies, Derwent-inktense, watersoluable ink pencils a omni sketchbook of 100% cotton Rag, and last but not least a book on drawing by Barrington Barber. I was spoiled. My kids both came home for the day and that was the real gift!
Seasons best to all.

Cheers
Gretchen:smug:

Maureen Grantham
12-30-2007, 07:07 AM
Santa did not leave me anything pastel related, but I scored a really good bargain in the sales, which leaves me enough $$$ to get one picture framed and to buy the pastels I need for a workshop with Mal Craig in February.

SandyRGA
12-30-2007, 02:54 PM
The pastel fairy was good to me. I've been using cheap brands since I started as I haven't been able to get the brands recommended in books and on this web site. But my husband managed to hunt down a set of hard to find Rembrandts (even Jacksons didn't stock them - but they got them by special order ). It's a set of 60 half sticks. I'm surprised how hard they are, having read that the cheap brands are harder than the quality brands, but the Rembrandts are much harder and more 'drawing' than 'painting'. But they allow me to do detail and mark making that I can't do with the softer pastels I already have.

I also got a booklet of Ingres pastel paper, and one of those pads with lots of different types of papers in it.

I also got a set of Faber Castell pastels, but I already have a nearly new set of these that I'd bought myself and found totally unusable, so I'll leave these untouched.

And, I got 3 or 4 pastel books, a couple of general art books, and even a pastel DVD.

So, I will have a nice January wallowing in all this art stuff. My husband also got me a drawing course, which I start in mid January.

Sandy

westcoast_Mike
12-31-2007, 12:40 PM
Santa was good to me this year. I had been using a set of El Cheapos and he took pity on me. I now have a set of Great American NA Landscape, Senneler Plein Air half sticks, as well as Wallis Pro and La Carte to work on.

LoreneT
12-31-2007, 01:14 PM
Although I did have my Dick Blick wishlist set up, nobody got me any pastels... so today I ordered some. Merry Christmas to me! :) I got plenty of other good stuff for Christmas, enjoyed time with family, can't complain. :)

seosamhin
01-09-2008, 05:41 PM
For the first time ever Santa thought of art supplies. I received a nice gift certificate to an art store. Maybe I can get them to order Pan Pastels for me. I don't think we have them in canada yet.
Julia

scall0way
01-10-2008, 04:12 PM
Well I got a nice gift certificate to Jerry's in West Orange so have to figure out how to spend it. I might use it on Pan Pastels, but I suppose I should finally open and try the ones I already bought a couple months ago when Jerry's had a Pan Pastels demo, and offered 40% on purchases of Pan Pastels for that day only. I couldn't resist! But life has been so hectic lately I've never even opened them.

I also got money from my dad, but I already spent it on a new winter coat. I did feel a little guilty spending money on a coat when my current coat has not even fallen apart yet, but I can't even remember how many years I've had it now, and it's so badly stained even the dry cleaner has given up on ever getting it looking nice again, so I guess spending the money on a coat instead of art supplies is not all that bad. :D

Phil Coleman
01-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Well I asked Santa for what some of you have and I also asked that it was gift wrapped! When I awoke on Xmas day I was dismayed To find that I hadnt been given it, perhaps I didnt state which of the packages of artists ability I required but then there is always next year!

I did recieve a new Welland easel from Winsor and newton which is much sturdier that what I was using and find it fantastic to use with being able to vary the height easily.

In addition I also recieved the pastel artists bible by Claire Waite Brown and some 25 Unison pastels to further extend my collection. So yes I was very pleased with the thought and consideration which people had given.:)