GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Still-life with apples
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 60x40 cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I feel that this work needs finishing, but I can't see what is wrong exactly...I hope for your help!

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything!!!

D.W. Flint
12-25-2007, 12:18 PM
I see you already have it framed and it looks beautiful as is. Probably would have changed the background to make it less conspicuous, but not at this stage. All in all I would leave it alone.:thumbsup:

Corby
12-25-2007, 02:16 PM
The colors and the brushwork in this are quite beautiful. It feels slightly loose and scattered, everything seems to be flying outward and will soon cross the frames boundary. The looseness forces me to look for a pattern. There is a strong pattern here. You have three triangles formed by the apples. each one is nestled within the other and the smallest triangle has a single apple in its center. That is a marvelous composition. Somehow though I have the feeling as I said of being almost forced to recognize its presence. That is detrimental to the painting in that it robs us of the naturalness of a happenstance view. It is instead forced upon us that this is a setup for a painting. Like flint I would say don't touch it, it is beautiful. A darker frame...as in walnut...would integrate it more and arrest that flying outward motion some and keep us from dodging those apples! Beautiful work you do.

Meira
12-26-2007, 07:10 AM
CORBY, thank you very much for such an interesting comment! In my work you noticed something I didn't see myself. And now I can't help seeing and counting those triangles :):):):):) Believe me, the composition was completely random :rolleyes: