GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: that look of love
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16 x 24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
First I have to admit that I can't recall the exact measurements, but it was the most square like in the final appearance. In the original thumbnail it was more abstract and I am not sure how successful it is as a final piece as it is fairly obvious as to what object it is. I can say that there is not a preoccupation with death on my part as most cultures depict the skull as a symbol of wisdom.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I am trying to have it feel like it is a drawing but with oil, so I want to know if it is successful in the appearance of being a drawing. I also am hoping that it is successful in being stark. I originally added at the thumbnail stage much more detail but fell its better served by terseness on my part.<br>

Corby
12-24-2007, 09:26 PM
I am not sure I understand the intent of the image. The skull does not I think as an image, carry the load of horror it once did. The images of our generation are far more grizzly, so as to make it tame in comparison. Is it stark? There are many meanings to the word stark. The person who owned the skull in life is of course "stark dead" as in completely dead. The skull is "stark naked" there being no longer the usual biological coverings of said item...
I feel that in some societies it may well have been a focus of meditation. That is pictured quite often, but most of the usage I have seen is as an emblem of death as in the plague or in the bloody religious rituals of South American civilizations of the ancient past. I have difficulty equating it with wisdom except with the obvious fact that it contained the brain... I cannot see the connection with love...it is the absence of all things in my eyes.

The presentation of pencil work? I dont think it works as such. One can approach that result by using a pencil on the side of the lead, but the minds eye is not fooled by the patina and visual feel. It is an interesting abstract, projecting the aura of a study. This is of course a personal opinion. Others may feel differently. Thanks for sharing Dante!

graymare
12-24-2007, 10:41 PM
Dante!!!...I really like your painting. Is it stark? I think so. It feels austere to me.I like the image & the feeling it conveys. I do not think that it looks like a drawing.
I always am drawn to the offbeat.
Carol