GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Temperature Inversion
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 12x16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a scene at Whistler-Blackcomb that I enjoyed. The whole time I was there all the colors were really muted because of the constant fog, and I wanted to throw some color in there.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Suggestions?

thomas w
12-24-2007, 05:13 PM
Nice job. The colors seem so foreign and strange, but excellent detail. I think it's good as is.
Thomas W

Corby
12-24-2007, 09:02 PM
very nice texture and unusual color. I would like to see heftier trees, more lifelike. These are more like symbols...

D.W. Flint
12-24-2007, 10:18 PM
I love the look and feel you captured in the mountains;excellent. The foreground looks a little washed out to me and I agree about the trees. Probably could use a little more form and variation.

La_
12-25-2007, 02:53 AM
oh and i do like the tall tall trees

nicely different arrangement of colors, warm on top, cold on the bottom, balance by the both of the trees, very cool

not sure about the little bitty structure about dead center ... shack? snow cat? rock? ... does it need to be there? i wouldn't miss it

beauty

la

freeskier89
12-25-2007, 03:45 AM
Thanks for the comments guys! Adding form to the trees would be quite beneficial. One thing that surprised about the trees in real life was that they were very tall and slender, but nearly geometrically perfect. The dark thing in the center is actually a clump of trees in the distance, but I can see how they really only take away from the composition. Thanks a lot for the comments guys, I really appreciate them!

tony1
12-25-2007, 08:51 AM
This is so beautiful. Great colors and brush work. The only crit is the distant clump of trees in the center. I don't read them as distance. They seem to be on the same plane as the trees to the left, making them look like a clump of bushes. If you can't push them back, I'd eliminate them, imo.

Regardless, it's a very very nice piece.

creodont
12-25-2007, 02:42 PM
Hi freeskier. Going into the Sierras I know in higher elevations trees are at times stunted or damaged from the storms that come thru I enjoy the painting a great deal but would like to know if you know what kinda trees they are?...well done....John

billmahler
12-25-2007, 08:03 PM
Nicely painted.
It evokes a feeling of crisp mountain air.
The composition would benefit from a more clearly defined vertical focal point. As it is, we tend to slide down that slope on the upper right, past those trees, and out of the painting.
Something vertical on the right would stop that

ejtupi
12-25-2007, 08:40 PM
I enjoy the way you've depicted the higher elevation pine/spruce. When they're sheltered from the wind they do tend to grow symmetrically. I like the tightly controlled palette on this.
Only critiques are:
I'd like to see the color in the trees brought back down a notch - less deep green or whatever it is (can't tell on my monitor) and pick up a bit of the iciness of the surroundings as highlights on the needles.
Also, I kind of get the feeling that the foreground is just killing space, like the painting actually starts about 1/4 of the way up the canvas....sorry, just looks like filler at the bottom.

I remember the temperature inversions at Stowe, Sun Valley, and up in the Sierras, so this painting's accuracy is really palpable. Funny how that warmth comes through in a scene so initially cold. Good job!

laudesan
12-25-2007, 09:31 PM
This painting has impact.

I always imagine mountains to be ice blue and this is a pleasant surprise.

The mountain look so majestic, the trees are great, I love how you painted them to really show off the enormity of the mountain range.

The foreground bothers me. It kinda cuts the painting as it is so different in palette. If you pulled some of the sky colour down into the foreground maybe.

I just scrolled down and cut the bottom 1/4 of the painting out. Looks terrific, but then reduces the impact of the ,mountain range for me..

Going to read what the others have said..

That little clump of trees didn't bother me at all. If you want them pushed back a little just make them bluer..

JJ

lhoxie
12-26-2007, 12:56 AM
This is beautiful, I love the colors and all the detail in the rocks and the snow.

Linda

osidianrose
12-26-2007, 09:12 PM
It's very Bob Ross. Where's your imagination and personality in the painting.

freeskier89
12-26-2007, 10:40 PM
It's very Bob Ross. Where's your imagination and personality in the painting. This is ABSOLUTELY the worst critique I have EVER read. I am totally fine with people saying that they dislike my work, but the key component of a critique that you are clearly missing is to say why.

Bob Ross paints by using quick simple techniques using 2" brushes and palette knives so he can fill a 16x20 canvas in 30 minutes. I hate to disappoint you but I did my whole painting with a size 1 and size 2 round brush. You ask where is my personality in the painting, I ask you, Where are your eyes and open mind? Can you tell me how this is "Bob Ross"?

I am not by any means saying that I think I am great at painting. I am still in high school and have a lot more to learn. Why don't you spend your 30 seconds writing 2 sentences trying to help someone learn rather than just boosting your poor ego? Any experienced artist will tell you that the development of a truly unique style that fits you personally takes a lot of time and evolves over time.

Thanks everyone else for the valid and very useful critiques! It is clear that this community is filled with a lot of great members. It's too bad that there are a few that waste away their time by making pointless comments.

creodont
12-27-2007, 12:18 AM
Keep going freeskier. Your talent shows thru loud and clear and I think Bob Ross would be a bit on the jealous side. My only critique is I would wish to see more of your great talent.........John

D.W. Flint
12-27-2007, 12:25 AM
Hang in there Freeskier. Your not only young with a lot of talent, but you've got spirit too. Good for you...

WildGoose
12-27-2007, 01:50 AM
Freeskier89-

You're still in High school?

Holy***tamole-!!

If I could paint then as realistically well as you can now, wowzer!:thumbsup:

"Semi"- abstract might not have turned out to be my bag!

I've been in areas similiar to your Whistler/Blackomb area and suchlike a few times through the years, and , like ejtupi, have seen my share of temperature inversions and the sheltered," so symetrical-you-find-it-hard-to-believe-they're-real" tall sheltered spruce/mixed conifer valley you potray.(More spruce down my Alberta way)

And yes, laudesan, there,indeed,can be beautiful colouration in Winter at high altitudes! Come on up and see us sometimes!!:wave:

Regards,

WildGoose/Chris ('52)

freeskier89
12-27-2007, 02:03 AM
Hang in there Freeskier. Your not only young with a lot of talent, but you've got spirit too. Good for you...
Thanks for the encouragement creodont and D.W. Flint :).

I see artistic development as a painting. One starts out with a blank canvas, and over time bad experiences and people like osidianrose define the negative space which only makes one's own actions, the subject, shine brighter.

edit: Thanks wildgoose for the kind words :)

Anthony Nightowl
12-27-2007, 03:51 PM
Beautiful peace but too f ing small about the size of my screen.