PDA

View Full Version : Grandmother WIP

fleming13
12-23-2007, 10:31 PM
So I'm trying to get this done before Christmas. Not sure it will happen though. Granny might get an IOU:lol: . The pic is my Grandmother, I'm assuming early 20's? She is 90 now! Very cool pic. The original was tinted with the oil colors. The scan is a bit fuzzy but it will have to do. The background in the ref pic was dark so I took it out in MS picture it. Also, since I have gotten serious with the pens again, I broke out my Rapidiographs. It seems that the last time I used them I did not clean them. I have the black fingertips to prove they are now clean!:lol: Although a few are on their second night soaking to get the ink loose.:cool: The drawing is 11x14 on mattboard, started with .005 micron and finishing with .25 rapidiograph. This was inspired by the Farmer drawing, I have lots of old photos and may start reproducing some of the nicer ones. Any C & C is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Dec-2007/115204-granny_ref.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Dec-2007/115204-granny_1.jpg

PVHooper
12-24-2007, 02:39 AM
Oh this is going to be lovely, you must really work those smokey dark eyelashes going right up into the eyebrows. get that naughty glint in the eye and the biting of the bottom lip, full of character your grandmother and quite a lady I am sure.

MonicaB
12-24-2007, 11:45 AM
Wonderful! She is going to love it no matter when she gets it. You are really racing along with the portraits, great job!

fleming13
12-24-2007, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the comments. Yeah it's a real portrait frenzy here:lol: . Got a few more people that want one, but aren't producing any pics for me. Portraits seem to be the only thing I can sell lately:cool: . Great practice though. Will post an update later, hope to get more work done this afternoon.

fleming13
12-25-2007, 11:07 AM
Well with it being crunch time, Christmas Eve, I put the old nose to the grindstone and got this one knocked out! Probably spent 4-5 hours on it yesterday and 3-4 on it Sun. More hours total than that, but this one did seem to come together really quick. There are a few things I would have liked to have done better, but I am happy enough with it to frame it and give it to her. My Mom loves it and thinks it's the best portrait I have done. But it is her Mom, that might have something to do with it.:rolleyes: Let me know what you think. C & C greatly appreciated.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Dec-2007/115204-granny_finished.jpg

MonicaB
12-25-2007, 11:16 AM
Don't you know that mothers are always right? ;) It is fantastic.

elaine321
12-25-2007, 06:22 PM
Well done. great ink work!! You will have to tell us what your Grandmother's response was!!

fleming13
12-25-2007, 08:56 PM
She absolutely loves it!:clap: :thumbsup: She said it was the best present she ever had. Although she has dementia and possibly early alzheimers so she kept asking who drew it. Even though it is signed. She's 90, we'll cut her some slack:angel: . Thanks for the comments.