PDA

View Full Version : What are some name brands for the sandpaper that is used for pastels?

Lorie J. Gardner
12-23-2007, 07:57 PM
Hi, my name is Lorie.

I used some sandpaper for a pastel painting - it has 500 on the back...I think that is the grit number? I have no idea. Anyway, I really loved it and i want to buy more but I don't know what are some names for it when I go to order it online at Dick Blicks or some other art store. I need some right away. I paid about 13.00 a sheet of this before...I think. I love working on sandpaper and if you know about where I can order some more of this stuff could you help me?

Thanks! and if you know about any other sand papers used for pastel please inform me...cuz I don't know that much and I want to learn. Thank you very much!!!:)

PeggyB
12-23-2007, 08:16 PM
With a number on the back it reminds me of the old Ersta as it was truly commercial sandpaper produced in sizes for pastel artists. However, it wasn't archival and fell out of favor with many painters. Now it is being produced as
UART pastel paper that is PH neutral. The grit available is 400, 500, 600, and 800 - the smaller the number the more "gritty" the surface. Dakota Pastel has all the selections in several different sizes. A 20 X 27 sheet is $7.50, and an even larger sheet of 27x40 is $15. There are smaller sizes too. Go to www.dakotapastels.com, click on the "paper" logo and you'll see a listing of all the papers they carry. Their service is very good. Dick Blick soenst have it listed on their website. I loved the old Ersta 400, and when I tried a piece of the new UART found it just the same so I'll be using it now too.

If you want to underpaint with a water or alcohol/water wash on the UART you may find it buckles a bit. I used to have no problem so long as the piece was no larger than about 11x14 and I taped it completely to my board as though it was watercolor paper. If you don't want to bother with that, you might try Ampersand pastelboard - a rather heavy product as it is a sanded surface on masonite backing, but it takes any wash you may want to put on it very well. Other papers that are very nice are Wallis - very gritty - and ArtSpectrum Colourfix - two different grits. Sennelier LaCarte is a nice surface, but don't even sneeze on it as the grit will disolve since it is made from a ground vegetable product.

There are several others now on the market, but those mentioned above have been around a long time, and many artists like them.

Good luck in your adventure with sanded pastels surfaces. It should be a fun adventure.

Peggy

Lorie J. Gardner
12-23-2007, 08:53 PM
Thank you Peggy!

You are right, it is Ersta sandpaper... I bought it a few years ago and I just finished a painting on it. I loved it, it held as much pastel as I put on it and hardly any dust fell off. I'm going to go look at the ones you suggested right now and possibly buy some of that UART sandpaper.

I've been online today buying some pastel pencils, a new set of Sennelier pastels, a soft carrying case for the pastels by Roz and some blending sticks! It's Christmas and I need some stuff if I'm going to be more serious about doing this.

I took a digital pic of my art...it's on my avatar. I hope to get a better pic up on here soon. Thanks for all your help!!!

PeggyB
12-23-2007, 10:36 PM
Thank you Peggy!

I took a digital pic of my art...it's on my avatar. I hope to get a better pic up on here soon. Thanks for all your help!!!

You are welcome Lorrie - the UART is good to work with.

Could you post your picture other than on your aratar? I'd like to see it a bit larger. There's something that reminds me of another Romeo MI artist I know, Bill Hosner. Do you know him or have you taken classes with him. Of course that's just because the avatar is so small I can't really see it, but it sure does look like a familar color palette, and full figures in nature are one of his favorite subjects.

Peggy

jillstefaniwagner
12-27-2007, 10:05 PM
Peggy, that's amazing! When I looked at Lorrie's work I thought the same thing! Maybe because I just read an article on his figure drawing in pastel journal. I took a couple of workshops from Bill a few years ago.

Jill Stefani Wagner
www.jillwagnerart.com