GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Signs of Fall
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 12x16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Hey there, I started out wanting to paint a vibrant scene just of some autumn leaves, but then it came out looking pretty unbalanced. So I ended up deciding that it needed a different subject. This is my first attempt of adding any living creature in my paintings. Some of the brush strokes in the background around the meadowlark are a little distracting so those need to be cleaned up a little bit.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Is there anything that jumps at you that needs to be improved?

MRSBB
12-23-2007, 11:17 AM
Hi Freeskier and welcome. I like your painting especially the leaves. Think maybe you better put some legs and feet on the bird as you might see them, as he is resting on the branch.I like the muted background, just not sure of the bottom right corner. Wait for a critique from one of our more experienced painters. Overall it is nice............Lenore

freeskier89
12-23-2007, 02:52 PM
Very good point! I just realized that I uploaded the version where it is missing a leg lol. I will definitely try to make the legs and feet stand out more, because I agree with you that the legs are currently a weak point. Right now I am not sure what to do about the bottom right corner. Adding more leaves would make it too busy. Maybe make it more saturated and add some color variation?

theBoardLady
12-23-2007, 03:29 PM
Freeskier89 - I also like the way your leaves came out plus your background. I feel that if your bird were a bit more vibrant in color with more definition on the tail feathers that would push your background back. As it is now, the tail feathers are almost blending in with your background. The softness of your background makes the bird stand out and you did his little head so well.
Good Job!

La_
12-23-2007, 03:30 PM
i don't mind the bottom right, it could easily be the darks of the distant trees and keeping it soft adds distance from the bird/branch - this is great

the yellow/pink/blue/white of the background is a bit busy for me, and distracts from the leaves/bird ... i'd like to see it simplified and softened - alas tis only opinion.

nice job on the bird, tho i think his tail is tilted opposite to his body, perhaps a minor tweak there ... and the legs/feet of course

good job

la

creodont
12-24-2007, 01:34 AM
freeskier, to be honest I like your painting without the Meadowlark. The colours make me feel that I'm looking thru a stain glass window. The bird distracts from this beautiful vibrant image. But the bird in its own right would be great in another painting. For me this is a painting that stands well on its own without the bird..................Please do more....john

freeskier89
12-24-2007, 02:59 AM
Thanks for all the critiques guys. I'll definitely add some definition on the tail.
@creodont: I understand your point. Tonight I will start painting something with a similar style that is a little less busy :)

Thankfully now that I have a week off from high school I will try to paint more and get them up for critiques. I really enjoy the constructive feedback!