PDA

View Full Version : Palace Guard House

TimGoss
12-22-2007, 03:24 PM
This is a quick, small sketch (6" x 4") I did in preparation for a larger version of the painting. I thought I might ask for your advice on composition before I start the bigger version. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Tim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Dec-2007/93359-guardhousesketch.jpg

Scene Chaser
12-22-2007, 07:25 PM
I love the subject. I think, though, that the house so far to the left puts too much weight on that side. The post and tree don't offer enough balance. Move the house to the right a little and have the tree lean to the left and make it larger.
Bill

painterbear
12-23-2007, 05:50 AM
Tim,
Even before I scrolled down and read what Bill said that is exactly what I was thinking.

If you reverse the placement of the building and the other elements, the viewers' eyes would be directed into the painting rather than out of it.

Great minds think alike, eh, Bill. ;)

Sylvia

Yorky
12-23-2007, 06:26 AM
Me too :)

Lovely sketch Tim.

Doug

rizwan145
12-23-2007, 06:35 AM
it would be welcoming if you don't include the wall in front of the house's gate, instead; let the doors and windows appear for better Lead in.

TimGoss
12-23-2007, 02:46 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I hadn't thought about posting sketches in this forum. What a terrific way to improve a painting before you start!

Tim

JudiPatooti
12-26-2007, 12:21 PM
Don't know if you're still taking thoughts on this, but I kind of like what you have, but think cropping out the right edge, leaving almost all but a leaf or two of the tree in your picture, and moving the women over towards the house a wee bit would make for an interesting composition. I like things a bit quirky and off-kilter, though :) By that I mean I kind of like the "heavy" house near the left edge. I think it makes for a painting that catches the eye.

Good luck with your final version!

Judi

seedy
12-26-2007, 05:43 PM
Geez....I took a look at your website.....you are asking us for advice? I think you know what you're doing....in spades.
But.....if it were me, I'd ditch the lamp post, put the that pine tree (great greens) in behind the wall and do what you have to to the rock wall.

TimGoss
12-27-2007, 03:47 PM
Thanks Judi and Brian:
I've started the painting and have incorporated many of your suggestions. I'm trying to stay true to the content as the painting will likely be entered in an Asian art show; however, I have taken some artistic license by using your ideas for improving the composition. The reference photo is of a guard house at the Emperial Palace in the middle of Tokyo. The Palace, I believe, has a guard house on each of the four corners and is surrounded by a stone wall and a large moat.

For those who took the time to comment to this thread, I looked at either your Web site or paintings you have posted online. Your work is both impressive and inspiring. Diverse styles but wonderful art.

Thanks again.

pao
12-27-2007, 04:05 PM
:thumbsup: Hi Tim; I look forward to seeing the painting you do from this!
It has a lovely feeling and I agreed with many of the suggestions early on.
Where's the Asian Art show?
This should be a hit!
Cheers,
Pamela
ps .... you inspired me with this post and I posted some of my studies on studio....THANKS for the idea (I hadn't thought of it either:D ). (If your around and feel like giving your cc I would greatly appreciate).

CharM
12-27-2007, 08:13 PM
Geez....I took a look at your website.....you are asking us for advice? I think you know what you're doing....in spades.
But.....if it were me, I'd ditch the lamp post, put the that pine tree (great greens) in behind the wall and do what you have to to the rock wall.

It's been awhile since I've seen your work in the forum, so I visited your website, too... :lol: I'm afraid I have to agree with Brian! I just loved the Blueberry Jam... wow... Almost Jam, I think you titled it...

You DO have some good advice already, so I'll just watch with interest in what you do next...