PDA

View Full Version : The Groom

CMBuson
12-22-2007, 01:20 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-22-2007/123570_Painting-AfricanmanpaintedbyCarlaBuson.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The Groom
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 50 x 75cm
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
I was commisioned to do a portrait of the groom from a photo

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Colour and Contrast

Ronni
12-22-2007, 03:10 AM
The portrait is wonderful! The only prob. it looks the figure is glued on background. the figure looks of paper and two dimention flat. especially shoulders, but also above head. the body needs more shading and natural conecting to the background. Colors are great! the bottom straight line of wall has no contiinuess, I think it needs a fixing too.

thomas w
12-22-2007, 09:01 AM
Nice style. Great job getting the likeness down. I like the loose style of the background as well. Very good.
Thomas W

MRSBB
12-22-2007, 12:48 PM
Hi CM Another nice painting. I like the expression on the grooms face. I think you did an excellent job on facial features. I see Ronni's point on the base board, but then maybe they are chairs. It would help in critique if you could post a reference photo. Nice work..........Lenore

kathrynlovespets
12-22-2007, 02:27 PM
beautiful..well painted..great oranges..nice composition

elijah_critic
12-22-2007, 03:23 PM
i think some of the two-dimensionality could be fixed by defining an outer light source and adding light. would certainly sculpt the figure with some shadows/bright spots.

KYRed
12-23-2007, 04:16 AM
the face is marvelous! You spent a long time on it and ignored the rest. Keep working in this realistic fashion. I enjoyed looking at the painting.

creodont
12-24-2007, 01:52 AM
Do not touch it , It is great as it is. The expression on the groom says it all. The I can not believe its happening to me look. Where is this from.....Well done....John

Corby
12-24-2007, 01:37 PM
When hard lines meet they claim their own, everything goes flat, and dimension is lost. All of the background needs to be softened...every line... and the hard contrasts as well. The beautifully painted image of the man will then come forward. He will emerge then from a painting and not a photograph.