PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find NON-Aerosol fixative?

d6monk
12-21-2007, 06:00 PM
Hi Everyone,

I was preparing to do some experimenting with fixative that required me being able to open up a bottle of it to dip pastels/brushes/etc. into, so aerosol sprays will not work. However, I can't find any raw pastel fixative anywhere in town or online. I found sennelier latour in a pump bottle at a few online stores, but they all told me that it has been discontinued and they are now out of stock. Anyone have any tips? I really don't want to have to make my own.

Thanks again

Deborah Secor
12-21-2007, 06:57 PM
The LaTour is the only one I know of. Is it discontinued?? I love that little pump because the drops are NOT the same size. To me having it random ends up looking more natural than a spray. Guess I better save back a pump just in case...

Could you instead use something like alcohol or turps? Lots of folks brush Turpenoid on. Check out Handell's work doing that. I've also seen water used. Depends on what you're trying to do with it, I suppose.

Deborah

eagle owl
12-22-2007, 10:31 AM
I'm assuming you're in US otherwise you wouldn't have a problem finding Daler Rowney Perfix which comes in bottles as well as spray. I found it in the following US suppliers:

http://www.reuels.com/reuels/Oil_Mediums_Dahler_Rowney.html

I use Perfix all of the time both spray and bottle and I have no complaints.

Carol

d6monk
12-22-2007, 03:14 PM
Yep I'm in the US, if I were not I wouldn't have any trouble finding fixative in a bottle (there are tons of European websites selling all kinds of it). I wonder why Americans are obsessed with the aerosol sprays. Thanks Carol, I'll check it out.