PDA

View Full Version : Stippling

tazzy
12-21-2007, 12:18 PM
Hi All, :wave: When stippling I cover the area with random dots then start putting in more and more until a get the desired tones. Is there a better, more organized way? Does anyone know of any instruction books devoted entirely to stippling or pointillism?

MonicaB
12-21-2007, 12:31 PM
Hi Tazzy. I don't think there are any books devoted just to stippling, although most ink books cover it. There's nothing wrong with the way you approach it -- that's basically what I do. Sometimes I will work on the darkest and lightest parts first, to get the basic values down.

eef
12-21-2007, 01:05 PM
Hi Tazzy,

Have a look at the tutorials at the top of the main page. There are some fantastic people giving fantastic advice. They WILL definitely help.

Otherwise, forget stippling and come over to the dark side.....Crosshatch!

eef

PVHooper
12-21-2007, 02:02 PM
well if you can crosshatch like fordy then by all means go over to the dark side, actually it is all about how dark you can go. Stipple is a lot of work but so satisfying. You have the right approach, just work it and work it.

RWSewell
12-21-2007, 02:20 PM
Have to echo everyone else. There is no science to stippling IMO, only having a good eye to gauge the appropriate values you're trying to achieve, and that mostly takes layers and patience. Work slowly and create your values slowly. Stippling is time-consuming work and there's not a reason in the world to rush through it - so allow plenty of time!

Don't be swayed by Darth Ethan to go to the dark side...:lol: :)

Stipplers Rule!:thumbsup:

:cool: Rob

Vegas Art Guy
12-21-2007, 08:35 PM
You're at the best place I've found for stippling help! Ask away...

devs66
12-22-2007, 01:19 AM
I would have to say I am a bad example, first I am just learning, and second I seem to do everything backwards.

So far I outline things first, using a 005 Micron I dot in a basic shape and features using an average spacing of about 1 mm (0.040 for the Metric impaired) between dots. Then I go back and work in details and shadows and end up with a result that has grown on me over the last little while but more of that in another post.

As with anything find what works for you!

susnfx
12-22-2007, 02:10 PM
I tend to work all over to alleviate tedium. I'm constantly checking values wherever I am, sometimes doing widely spaced dots then gradually filling in, sometimes working in one little spot until it's pretty close to done.

Susan

marcs_art
12-22-2007, 06:21 PM
Loranda - Although I've been on sabatical restoring turn of the 20th century printing presses, I'd have to say Dev66 approach is very similar to the one I use. It's been a while since I've posted, but here are a couple of old posts that show progression of stippling using color ink. I think you'll see that your method is similar. - Marc

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=403419

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306724

tazzy
12-23-2007, 01:13 PM
Marc, Thank you so much. I checked out the two posts you sent links to and wow! I feel much better about how I have been working. It looks like I am on the right track. I want to thank everyone for all the great input.

HighFlyer
12-23-2007, 02:35 PM
Tazzy,

When I stipple, I try to get the right value on the first shot, but of course, that rarely happens and I end up going back a second time, third time, fourth time... well, you get the idea.

When I stipple very dark areas, I start with a pen that has a large tip and cover the whole area. Then I work over the area a second time with a smaller tip. This darkens the area while at the same time giving it a smoother appearance.

I have lots of books on Pen and Ink, and none of them are devoted to stippling alone. The two biggest sources of information I found are trial and error, and this forum.

Have fun!

objectivistartist
12-23-2007, 04:44 PM
true enough - "The Stipple Book" needs to be written..... :thumbsup:

devs66
12-23-2007, 05:49 PM
Loranda - Although I've been on sabatical restoring turn of the 20th century printing presses, I'd have to say Dev66 approach is very similar to the one I use. It's been a while since I've posted, but here are a couple of old posts that show progression of stippling using color ink. I think you'll see that your method is similar. - Marc

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=403419

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306724

Marc - sorry I missed those - excellent color work - I have yet to even concider trying anything in color.