PDA

View Full Version : The Impossible Stack of Christmas Presents

DBSullivan
12-21-2007, 03:11 AM
Hi Gang! :wave:

I see a lot of new faces in the forum, so I'd like to extend a hearty hello to all you new folks. Welcome to the forum!

For those who know me.. I'm sure you've all been wondering where I've been. Well, I've been crazy busy lately. There have been a lot of opportunities come my way, and I have a hard time saying no to things. So my plate is currently overflowing in a big way.

Among other things, over the past few months I've done several commissions, taught a six week ink course, was invited to be the guest speaker (to do a demo) for the Parkland Art League (that was fun!), succinctly destroyed my upstairs computer (that was not fun), got my computer back (also not fun). But the coolest thing is that I've been setting up my display tent on Main St here in Bethlehem on a regular basis (for the holidays), and I've been having great success. Essentially, things are going quite well.

Before I go any further, I'd like to thank all you who've PM'd me or emailed me asking if I was okay. I apologize for not getting back to some of you, and I'll do my best to go through my inbox and respond properly.

I didn't think it was appropriate for me to show up empty-handed after being away for so long, so I come bearing my Christmas Card for this year.

(Terry, this is your chance to turn back if you don't want to spoil the surprise)

This drawing is based on a previous drawing I did called City Block (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266961&highlight=city+block). This is done with a 2x0 Koh-I-Noor rapidograph on hot press illustration board. I added graphite to enhance the shadows. The actual image size is 7" x 11"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Dec-2007/61349-Impossible_Stack_of_Christmas_Presents.jpg

btw - some of you will find it interesting to know that I inked this without the use of any straight edges. After using straight edges for so long, I wanted to see if I still "had it".

Here are a few close-ups

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Dec-2007/61349-Impossible_Stack_of_Christmas_Presents_closeup_001.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Dec-2007/61349-Impossible_Stack_of_Christmas_Presents_closeup_002.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Dec-2007/61349-Impossible_Stack_of_Christmas_Presents_closeup_003.jpg

PVHooper
12-21-2007, 04:24 AM
Welcome back Dave, that is really brilliant news that you are busy, teaching, being successful and selling, you put in the time and deserve every bit of it. What a joy to hear of a brilliant artist such as yourself being successful, enjoy it and allow the energy to enthuse you further. Wow your impossible pile is stunning and now I understand how Father Christmas gets all those presents into one bag, lol. Must have taken you forever to work out those perspectives or lack of them. brilliant

mudslinger
12-21-2007, 06:49 AM
mna, that's a lot of vanishing points! welcome back, dave. :thumbsup:

eef
12-21-2007, 06:57 AM
Great to hear from you Dave. The place isn't the same without you!

So.......which is my present in that pile? I can't see a Ferrari!

eef

Terry G.
12-21-2007, 09:13 AM
Dave, glad your back..
and ya i "peeked", i am like a little kid - just could not help it.- fun stuff..

objectivistartist
12-21-2007, 10:29 AM
Good to see ye again, Dave..... as always, a grand work ye done....:thumbsup: and a most merry xmas to ye too......

MonicaB
12-21-2007, 10:35 AM
Ah, Dave, good to see you. Figures you would come back with a bang! Can't wait to see this in person (I *will* get one this year, won't I? :wink2: )

devs66
12-21-2007, 02:32 PM
Dave,

Glad to see you back - I have just come back and was wondering what had happened to you. The stack is great!

Ranger Dan
12-21-2007, 03:20 PM
Beauty work Dave! :thumbsup: Took a bit to see the impossibility of it all.
Kind of looks like what's under our tree...of course we'll be paying the 'Impossible Stack of Bills' in January.:eek: :lol:

RWSewell
12-21-2007, 09:02 PM
Looks to me like you still have it!

Congratulations on all your good fortunes, Dave, and good to see you back with your old (and some new) friends!

:cool: Rob

Vegas Art Guy
12-21-2007, 09:06 PM
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was AWOL from the forum. Of course I was torturing 9th... er molding young minds and you were creating art... :lol:

Great work as always Dave!

And my three year old son likes your drawing as well. Of course he wants to open HIS gifts now! :lol:

objectivistartist
12-21-2007, 09:15 PM
...of course we'll be paying the 'Impossible Stack of Bills' in January. and February, and March, and......:lol::lol::lol:

Vegas Art Guy
12-21-2007, 09:16 PM
and February, and March, and......:lol::lol::lol:

I think he was talking Jan 2010!

mel-ink
12-22-2007, 01:20 AM
Nice work, Dave!! Congrats on your successes - you deserve them! Gonna start telling people I knew you when...

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jakeally
12-22-2007, 09:14 AM
Welcome back Dave:wave:
Your card is absolutely brilliant as I knew it would be. Can't wait to get my hands on it:D

gakinme
12-22-2007, 11:48 AM
Welcome back, Dave, even though you don't know me. But I just want to say wow, to this card with no straight lines, and your city block one too. Your work have always inspired me.

Merry Christmas and wishing you very good sales!

marcs_art
12-22-2007, 06:14 PM
Dave - I'd say welcome back, but I've been away too. Beautiful work as usual. Really love your style and the way you work the shading. Very nice. - Marc

ARTMUTT
12-22-2007, 08:18 PM
Dave-Congrats on all of your projects! Glad to see you back again--I was wondering where you've been! Your drawing is really cool and it looks like you still have "it"

DBSullivan
12-23-2007, 01:22 AM
Thanks for the great welcome back everyone! This forum really is like home. :)

Paul - Hello there my friend! Thanks for your encouraging comments. Just keep in mind of my successes that "if I can do it.. so can you". As for working out the perspective, this one was a lot of fun. I just kept adding a present here and a present there. And speaking of presents... I owe you a PM buddy... really you shouldn't have! :thumbsup:

Len - Thanks bud! And thanks again for the prints. They're both really awesome!

Fordy - Thanks Ethan. Hopefully I'll be able to hang out on a regular basis again. And Dude.... the Ferrari was there when I started... I swear! :rolleyes: btw - your new work is way awesome! I'll post on the threads soon, but for now.... :thumbsup:

Terry - There you are.. still kickin I see. I'm glad you took a peak... it really is a fun pic isn't it?

Robert - Thank you kind sir! And a merry one right back atcha!

Monica - Thanks.. it's good to be back. And yes you're getting one of these.. I already mailed them out. Did you not get one last year??? :confused:

Devs - Thanks. And welcome back to you too.

Dan - Thanks Dan. Perhaps I should follow this up with a drawing of a stack of bills. :lol:

Rob - Thanks buddy. And thanks for the PM (sorry I never replied)

Greg - Thanks, man. And I'm glad your son likes it.

Mel - Hey there young lady! Thanks for your kind words. btw - You'll never have to tell people you knew me "way back when"..... you'll always be able to just say that we're friends.

Chris - Thank you. It's in the mail and it may be a bit late, but it also contains a few extra goodies that I "owed you".

Gakinme - Thanks for the warm welcome back and the kind comments. I hope you have a great holiday as well.

Marc - Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it!

BA - Thanks BethAnn. It's so nice to see familiar faces. I hope you've been well.

valchina612
12-23-2007, 02:50 AM
It's great to see you back Dave, and I'm so pleased things are going so well for you -- certainly well deserved if you don't mind me saying so!!

Love your Chrissy Card drawing, and I can't wait for it to land in my letterbox. Hope you will be able to squeeze in some visits to the Forum from now on.

Merry Christmas friend, and make sure you spoil your little ones rotten, but then I know that you don't have to be told to do that. :D

Val. :wave:

tvandeb
12-24-2007, 12:20 AM
Dave : Great work on the drawing; definitly can see the perspective values on it. You have been a busy one; that is good; as well as teaching also good!!!:clap: :clap:
May 2008 be successful for you and for all of us!!!!!

Happy Hollidays!!!!!:wave:

DBSullivan
12-27-2007, 08:41 AM
Val - Hey there buddy! Happy Holidays :wave: Thank you so much for the kind words. I got to see the little ones on Christmas day... they're getting so big! btw - I read about your medical issue as of late. I hope your taking care of yourself and that you're quickly on the mend! :)

Tammy - Thank you. I'm glad you like my drawing. And Happy Holidays to you (what's left of them)