PDA

View Full Version : Women with Crossbow

hyenaxfangs
12-20-2007, 06:43 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-20-2007/11408_smallerfall07.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Women with Crossbow
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Watercolor Pencil
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 9x10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I've been working on and off for a while on this piece, and i'm trying to keep pushing it until i feel it could be a strong portfolio piece. Now that i have some free time i would like to get back and finally finish it. The biggest thing i notice it might have been better if i had faced the figure in the other direction rather than creating a box where the eye get's trapped.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any ideas on what colors to use on the family crest would really help. I want it to stand out but not to over shadow the figure. <br><br>The tiny color bleeds around the branches are driving me crazy, any hints on how to control them?<br><br>Would it help the overall piece if i kept the foreground (figure/frame) darker than the background? <br><br>Or would it be better to keep the figure dark so she pushes back everything else (frame, banner, background)?<br><br>Any other comments or ideas?<br>

creodont
12-20-2007, 09:43 PM
Hello Hyenax,Use a small thin detail brush gently wet the area that bleeds and only that area. Using brawny towels or a sponge may help lift some of the bleeding. Let it dry and gently try to get rid of the rest using an eraser. the quality of paper goes along way to re touch up any mistakes you may have made. This looks like a stylized form but the hand up front looks alright but the hand on the crossbow looks to thin but it maybe that I'm looking at a kind of elf and not a human. The elongation of the neck is apparent but again this may be stylized to fit your needs.The background and foreground do not bother me but again you may consider the colors that go on the crest to compliment and highlight the womens facial features. her white hair may also be considered before you work with the crest.....Nice detail on her wardrobe. The castle in the back looks slightly tilted............John

Eggy
12-20-2007, 10:08 PM
Just had a thought: make more of these and they would look really splendid as tarot cards.

Kind regards,
Eggy

Scottyarthur
12-20-2007, 10:24 PM
Yes I thought the same about the tilted castle tower, but love the rest, would like to see it when finished.

hyenaxfangs
12-22-2007, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the input! :)

I'm really hopeing i can finish this by the end of Jan. Maybe this can expand into a potential project for when i take Illustration II and become a series.

Could my attempts to remove the bleeds damage the paper enough to damage the feel of the piece? and any idea how that could effect a portfolio presentation?

Thanks again,
Liz