Dimension: 48x38
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
this is my second oil painting.. all comments welcome

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
let me have it

toraman
12-18-2007, 09:30 PM
Very interesting, spooky, ethereal, the same type of brushwork as your previous painting is evident. I wonder what media you used before oil.

TScottDove
12-18-2007, 10:32 PM
beautiful. maybe a little too symmetrical. some asymmetry would add interest and maybe a focal point, but really a beautiful piece nevertheless

Texas June
12-18-2007, 10:52 PM
Okay - I've been staring at this for five minutes - how in the world did you do this? What was your medium before oils? Are you one of those advanced aliens? (Just kidding - but it does make one wonder:)

I can't ever remember seeing a painting where the whole painting was THE focal point. Seriously, I'm literally shaking over this. What's going on - help bring me back to earth with some answers.

kathrynlovespets
12-18-2007, 11:39 PM
A lovely style you have...
you should try something darker!!! Like creepier...dunno if that's your forte
It's peaceful and the air is damp...seems like the viewer (sara perhaps) would be on a rowboat here with her boytoy

Corby
12-18-2007, 11:47 PM
It is so symmetrical that we are insistently persuaded to look at the faint image of the central tree. That is the focal point. The style is so different and powerful it becomes the subject in its own right. Basically a monotone but there are subtle yellows and blues that add to its appeal. It is extremely attractive...but it does have a sense of unease about it. I have experienced such in places like this where you do not feel quite alone.

thomas w
12-19-2007, 08:51 AM
I'd say you captured the edge of a lush forest very well. Bright lights just beyond the tree line, and dark silhouettes of trees on the interior. I especially like the blending of the two in the backgound, a soft transition. Your choice of using predominantly purple makes this very fantasy-like and warm. I like this one even better than the first, keep it up.
Thomas W

Scottyarthur
12-19-2007, 06:25 PM
It is very magical, it has such a aura about it. wonderful work with this peice.

allanom
12-19-2007, 09:38 PM
It's kind of like a background for an old-style animated cartoon. Almost expect Bambi to come bouncing through. Works on some level, but leaves me kind of just placated but wanting more....

LynnDigby
12-20-2007, 07:17 AM
Great atmospherics! This is very dramatic and evocative of the spirit of the place, not just a painting documenting the place. I do love nocturnes when they are done so well.

Hey, you ought to post this over in the Landscape forum, too. They'd love it!

frazzled
12-20-2007, 12:13 PM
Very interesting, spooky, ethereal, the same type of brushwork as your previous painting is evident. I wonder what media you used before oil.

I've used watercolor - acrylic - house paint before oil. I find oil to be the best most versatile medium I've used... and its the only medium I'll use from now on.

here is an example of watercolor -
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2007/126139-l_6e68ece96f5250d8cf5540cbc85e2cad.jpg

frazzled
12-20-2007, 12:16 PM
Okay - I've been staring at this for five minutes - how in the world did you do this? What was your medium before oils? Are you one of those advanced aliens? (Just kidding - but it does make one wonder:)

I can't ever remember seeing a painting where the whole painting was THE focal point. Seriously, I'm literally shaking over this. What's going on - help bring me back to earth with some answers.

I really haven't been painting that long.. If I was an alien I'm sure I would have more discipline and be much more productive as an artist... I'm getting better though... then again maybe aliens procrastinate too.

I just work a painting until it meets my minds ideal... that's it.

frazzled
12-20-2007, 12:27 PM
A lovely style you have...
you should try something darker!!! Like creepier...dunno if that's your forte

I have lots of paintings in the works and things could get dark concept wise

frazzled
12-20-2007, 12:29 PM
Hey, you ought to post this over in the Landscape forum, too. They'd love it!

I haven't even checked that forum out yet... I will

frazzled
12-20-2007, 12:30 PM
thanks everyone for taking the time to comment.. I appreciate it

MRSBB
12-20-2007, 02:31 PM
Your oil painting is wonderful, but I would not give up the watercolor. That watercolor painting is beautiful, it has a lot of romance to it. Seems like a place we would all like to be.......Lenore

frazzled
12-23-2007, 10:58 AM
Your oil painting is wonderful, but I would not give up the watercolor. That watercolor painting is beautiful, it has a lot of romance to it. Seems like a place we would all like to be.......Lenore

Thanks for the kind words Lenore... I just have so much I want to paint in oil I doubt I'll have time for watercolor...

creodont
12-24-2007, 02:02 AM
I do not see Bambi I see Trex rampaging out of this lost in time forest. well done.....john

frazzled
12-25-2007, 05:00 PM
I do not see Bambi I see Trex rampaging out of this lost in time forest. well done.....john

t rex would devour bambi for sure.

LynnDigby
12-29-2007, 11:06 PM
Watercolor experiences will give you amazing stuff that you can bring to oils. I don't blame you for not looking back. Your work is calling for oil. Watercolor is too ephemeral for what you're after.

Keep painting. Let each one lead you to the next!

frazzled
12-31-2007, 09:03 AM
Watercolor experiences will give you amazing stuff that you can bring to oils. I don't blame you for not looking back. Your work is calling for oil. Watercolor is too ephemeral for what you're after.

Keep painting. Let each one lead you to the next!

thanks Lynn.. i sure will