PDA

View Full Version : Tidal Pool & Beach Roses

meowmeow
12-18-2007, 02:34 PM
This is about 11x14 White Wallis with soft pastels from a photo I took over the summer at Biddeford Pool. Yep...there is a line where the scan wasn't quite right..but I don't want to bother rescanning right now.
I'm looking for some feedback on it...I'm not sure if it needs more finishing or not. My idea was that the focal point is the little tidal pool or whatever you call it...the beach plum roses are there and pretty, but I know when I am looking over the rocks at the ocean I am aware of them, but they are not the main thing. So I left the rest loose...maybe too loose? Whaddaya think?
Obviously, C&C welcome!
Thanks!

Sandy

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Dec-2007/15050-beachsm.jpg

Deborah Secor
12-18-2007, 02:51 PM
Mmmm, what a breath of fresh air this one is! Sandy, I love the colors. Your work is getting stronger and stronger, IMHO.

For my 2 cents, I think the mass of the rocks and the mass of the roses is a bit too similar in size and shape. I'd probably consider decreasing the amount of roses and letting more of the rocks peek through if you want the cove to be the destination. That area is very nicely painted and the light attracts my eye. Those roses are scene-stealers! Use sparingly to move the eye there more. I also think the looseness of the roses is a good part of their charm. Mmm, so nice... I know you'll have fun pushing things around a little here.

Good to see you showing work again. Moving the studio seems to agree with you!

Deborah

meowmeow
12-18-2007, 03:10 PM
Funny....I had not noticed it but yes, I see that the rose mass and the rocks to the left are the same shape and size. Weird how that happens.
I need to think about how to remedy it...maybe change the shape at the top of the roses. I have to look at the photos but I think the rocks don't peak through much...it's sort of interesting but where there are the roses it is very dense greenery.
But I see what you mean and I'll chew on how to resolve it. And see what anyone else may have to say.
And thanks for the very nice comments about my work! I appreciate it, especially coming from you!

Sandy

Donna T
12-18-2007, 07:17 PM
Hi Sandy, It is good to see you posting again and this is beautiful! I love how you've done the rocks ( I love ocean rocks anyways but these are gorgeous!) I have often wondered how to put something in the foreground and yet have the focal point be farther into the painting so I look forward to seeing what, if anything, you do with this. Would it be too unrealistic to put a clump or two of roses in the rocks in the middle ground. It would help draw the eye to your focal area and repeat those colors but then again the roses might become your focal point.:rolleyes:

Donna

Pinecone Conniff
12-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Another 2 cents...I'd like to see the foreground roses and foliage deeper in value so the rocks are pushed back further.
Your work is always so fresh! Just a bit of tweaking!:)

Annette

meowmeow
12-18-2007, 08:45 PM
Good point, Annette...the rocks are behind the foliage. The whole thing is deeper in value than is showing up here on the screen...but I think I can do that.
And I will change the line of the left top of the foliage...so that section is not the same shape as the rocks.
Donna, I recently saw a painting somewhere....the whole front part was wonderful rocks but the focal point was further into the painting...the front rocks were softer, muted....I was very impressed with that concept...of having a very interesting foreground, but the focal point is in the background.
So, we'll see if I can pull it off.
Thanks for all the help...I knew where to come!

Sandy

Thom Byrd
12-18-2007, 08:53 PM
:thumbsup: :clap: :clap: :clap: i have one suggestion (?) after-thought.... a fine line of orange along the horizon modulated away softly above and below...:wave:

Orchidacea
12-18-2007, 09:19 PM
Sandy, this is lovely! I really like the looseness and delicacy of color. Beautiful colors in the rocks. I'm thinking that the horizon kind of presses it all down--I'd almost like to see it cropped just below the horizon, which would possibly bring more attention to the tidepool.

How I miss that area! I love revisiting it when I see your paintings.

meowmeow
12-19-2007, 07:13 AM
I'm actually surprised you are the first one to comment on the horizon, Kim! I have been debating that myself. I had thought that by putting it in it gave it a sense of place...or something. I like to do that. But it bothers me. I think I will mess in Photoshop and see how I like it....I can easily just extend the water if I decide I want to get rid of the horizon.
Thanks!

Sandy

CJMonty
12-19-2007, 08:00 AM
Hey, I'll come and look after Sydney and you can teach me to paint. :lol: I wish. I'd need to have a big win on Lotto to afford something like that but I can always dream, along with the dreams of the lovely snow everyone seems to be getting of late.

Take Care, Thinking of you everyday.
Lots of Love Carolynn :):):heart::heart::heart:

meowmeow
12-19-2007, 08:12 AM
Thanks Carolyn! She's up to 2 pounds as of last night...oops! I mean 910 grams!

Sandy

Kathryn Wilson
12-19-2007, 08:24 AM
Sandy, I've been reading the comments - it's a wonderful painting full of color and texture! I agree with all the comments, but I do feel the horizon gives the painting depth - the hint of land on the right - if it were mine, I'd leave that - but it's your painting. Create the magic.

meowmeow
12-19-2007, 08:27 AM
Thanks Kat.
What I find with the horizon is that when I view the picture from a distance, the line kind of bothers me. As I approach it, the nearer I get the better it looks with the horizon. I think they way it is seen here on this screen...it is the closer view. And yes, I think it does give it depth. I am going to have to try to Photoshop thing I guess....it's the best way to try without messing up the painting.
And ultimately I will just have to decide!

Sandy

Kathryn Wilson
12-19-2007, 08:59 AM
A compromise solution - leave that spit of land and soften horizon line - I find that that little bit of land in the back of the painting draws my eye through the painting along the line of the roses, to the tidal pool to the spit of land.

meowmeow
12-19-2007, 11:01 AM
Alrighty...I have softened the horizon line a bit more. I changed the line of the foliage and softened the rocks behind them...the actual painting is more saturated in color and contrast so that seemed the best way to go. I added a few more little lights and darks.
I think it helps.
For some reason my right scan always come out a little darker than the left. Weird. Anyhow...this is the best I can give you!

Thanks

Sandy

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2007/15050-roses2.jpg

bluefish
12-19-2007, 12:58 PM
Sandy

If you want to create depth here, move the horizon line down to below some of the rocks ( only small amount of water showing) - I think you will like the outcome - it's a beautiful painting, very well painted. I like painting 'Ragosa roses' on the beach except we have sand instead of rocks (not as colorful as your version) and the public does like them! The best of luck with your painting - have a great holiday season. 'bluefish':wave:

purpleheather
12-19-2007, 02:26 PM
Hi Sandy,
Gorgeous painting, very loose and painterly. Love the colours.

My eye keeps getting trapped to the first/highest flower beneath the dark rock crevice/white pool. I don't know if it's the bright colour or just the position of the flower.
I tried covering it over with my finger and find my eye settling on the dark rock crevice and the white pool, which is where I think you want the focus.

just a thought...

blessings
Anne

meowmeow
12-19-2007, 02:34 PM
Hmmmmm....so you get stuck there, huh? I was hoping to be leading you to the pool of water but maybe it is too much. That is easily remedied...she said...hopefully! :D

Bluefish, thanks. I can see that that would give a great sense of distance...but in the long run I think it would be a different painting than I had in mind. Possibly a better one at that! :D

THanks all!

Sandy