PDA

View Full Version : White Boulders II

surreal
06-14-2002, 05:47 PM
Hi~
This is "White Boulders in acrylic" on canvas, and 14" x 22". It is 9 years old and I have never exhibited it.

I just wanted some brutal honesty about your reactions to this painting, which will help me determine whether or not to auction it off.
All comments are welcome.
surreal
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2002/AUTOwhite-boulders-II400p.jpg

KarenU
06-14-2002, 10:32 PM
Surreal....as usual, your style in this painting is just marvelous.

However, the white boulders stopped me right at the bottom of the painting. When I first looked at it, it reminded me of the backs of two people's heads. As far as the rest of the painting...I really think you have a fabulous thing going on with the diminishing lines of boulders on either side...those are wonderful, love the symmetry, and the water is great...reminds me of a vanishing edge pool with the sky in the background. Just the immediate foreground is an issue with me.

surreal
06-14-2002, 10:54 PM
Karen,
Thank you so much for commenting.

I appreciate all of your remarks very, very much. I see your point about the boulders and believe your observation is definitely correct.

Thanks again.

Nina :D

TheLymner
06-15-2002, 12:10 AM
surreal, Karen is right. The two boulders do stop the viewer, they keep him/her from falling off of the bottom of the canvas. They are perfect anchors. And while Karen sees the back of peoples heads, I see marangue pastries. Shows you where my mind is at.:D My wife says they are sea shells. Allow the viewer to see what they will. I would love to see the actual painting. Leave it alone.

Danny E Haislet
TheLymner

KarenU
06-15-2002, 12:50 AM
This is the exact reason I love this place so much....everyday I get to read about how everyone "sees" things so differently!

Your viewpoint Danny is excellent, and I completely understand what you are saying, but while you felt the boulders were a necessary anchor keeping the viewer within the painting....I felt the boulders were an obstacle...keeping me from even getting into the scene.

TheLymner
06-15-2002, 01:30 AM
Karen, interesting observation. I see your point. Of course, if they were marangues you could enjoy yourself while removing the obstacles.:rolleyes:

Danny E Haislet
TheLymner

Linarty
06-15-2002, 05:55 AM
I see shells. Go figure.

KarenU
06-15-2002, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by TheLymner
Karen, interesting observation. I see your point. Of course, if they were marangues you could enjoy yourself while removing the obstacles.:rolleyes:

Danny E Haislet
TheLymner

hehehe Danny....wish I saw marangues....I love them too!

surreal
06-15-2002, 12:44 PM
Hi Karen, Danny & Linarty,

Thanks so much for your comments, some of which were very amusing. :)

What's interesting is that IRL, no one has ever mentioned my boulders looking like clamshells, etc. Oh well!

So many WC'ers see my boulders as looking like clamshells, that I can't ignore it - maybe when I paint, I subconsciously am thinking of food. :D

Thanks again for the honest critiques.
Nina :)

orchidlover6
06-17-2002, 12:11 PM
i have to agree about the two boulders. the rest of the painting is marvelous once you can pull your eyes away from the bottom. I wonder if you can deepen the colors of the boulders, it that would help pull your eye back up to the whole image?

lunajen
06-17-2002, 05:49 PM
I like this a lot, your style kind of reminds me of Georgia O'Keefe's. Its really nice.

surreal
06-17-2002, 06:20 PM
Orchidlover & lunajen,
Thank you very much for commenting.

orchidlover,
Thank you for the suggestion.

Nina :)