GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: untitled
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 9 x 12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a commissioned piece that I completed this month. I'm relieved to report that the client said she loved it. I, on the other hand, find flaws. Well, anyway...here it is.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
anything.

tonyjazz
12-17-2007, 10:30 PM
Grunge: Wow portraits in watercolors, impressive! Only thing that bothers me is the green dual tone BG, that same color , the darker green on the girl would look great! Your client liked it and I like it, great work.

billmahler
12-17-2007, 10:36 PM
The mom's hand and glasses are first rate.
The glasses are the star of the show. They seem to be a two way window that invites us into the lady's mind and simultaneously radiates her enthusiasm outward.
The angle of the glasses and the other angles echoing throughout make the painting a success.
The background color is offbeat, but it works.
The client has good taste, T

ejtupi
12-17-2007, 11:25 PM
Bill knows more about portraits than I ever will, but for me the glasses are the one distraction in the picture, especially the way they're bisecting the eyes. I agree that her hand is beautifully modeled, and I think the eyes on the girl are fantastic.

Small critiques: I keep wondering how far back on the girl's head her left ear is. I'd also like to see the line between their hair less rigid.

Those nitpicks aside, there's every reason for your client to be ecstatic about this picture, because my senses are telling me you've captured the essence of these two and their close bond in every important respect. So what if you're finding flaws; let those discoveries guide you in the future, but be happy that you've got a client whose day you just made!

thomas w
12-18-2007, 08:44 AM
A very sweet portrait, their emotions really come through. I like the sharp rendering you have here, especially in the eyes. The choice of colors really livens this up.
Thomas W

Dana Design
12-18-2007, 09:38 AM
Teresa, Wow! Terrific portrait and of course, the mother loved it! It's a treasure.

Corby
12-18-2007, 03:41 PM
Hi Grunge!!!
Nice to see you again! The painting is beautiful, I can see why the client liked it. The shapes are beautiful and convincing, and the eyes are gorgeous! Perhaps it was a loss in posting, but the only caution I would give is about your values, especially noted in the faces and mothers hand. The images are nicely modeled but it is hard to appreciate it because the values are so light they lose depth and dimension. Their shapes are subdued. I think the acid green really works because the lavender/purple dress color is across the wheel, in the area of compliment.

John Jaster
12-18-2007, 05:58 PM
There's a lot of love in this painting and it shows. Great job on the faces. My only minor is the bodies seem a little two dimensional against the bright green background.

Grunge
12-18-2007, 10:11 PM
Hi Family! thanks for taking a look see and for all the lovely comments. I wasn't expecting that!

Tony: that dual tone in the background occured when I tried to spray out some of the green and then let it run out of the corner. so much for that little experiment. I would have liked it to be smoother.

Bill: Thank you so much. Those glasses originally had black frames and I really thought that took away from the mother. I think the blue sets off the colour of her eyes nicely. Maybe she'll trade in those old black frames for something more feminine...

ejtupi: I agree on the bisection of the eyes. I took 33 photographs of these two in various poses and in the end it boiled down to two photos. This pose but one where the daughter had a pouty look but the mom was as you see her here...the other the daughter was as she is here but the mom had a squinty blink thing going on. so I used the best of each the two photos and just went with the bisection in the eyes. I tried to look at it as a challenge, but perhaps she would have been better off without the glasses. but honestly, she always seems to have them on ...so I let her keep them.

Thomas, Dana: Thanks so much!

Hey C.L.! Yes, I lose a bit when I start flashing away with the camera. I did try to adjust the colour here to bring it more true to the original...but you never get all the subtleties and such. That kinda stinks. It looks washed out.

Hey John! I'm so glad to hear you say that. that was the one important thing to the client. I asked the client if there was a particular emotion she was hoping for with this painting and she said "love". Yay!

KYRed
12-23-2007, 04:45 AM
Untitled. I hate that. Those females had names, didn't they? That aside. More contrast. They remind me of Tina Fey. She is talented but she has more contrast inside her and could become good if she let the contrast go.