PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble Dec 17 Thru 23

K Taylor-Green
12-17-2007, 02:15 PM
Hi everyone!:wave: Welcome to the Scumble, our weekly chat thread where we share the happenings of our everyday lives.

I was going to post a new puppy picture, but just realized the new ones are on my laptop! Bummer! I will have to do it later. They will going to new homes in a couple of weeks. I will miss the little blighters.:lol:

Hope everyone is off to a good start on their week!

Diana_pastels
12-17-2007, 05:35 PM
Hi all, haven't posted in a couple of weeks, but have been reading the posts. All the babies and health issues, my prayers to all.

K, can't wait to see more pics of the puppies. Not much cuter than puppies and babies.

Finally starting to feel like Christmas. Rained today (much needed) so maybe that put me a little more in the mood. I am itching to paint, though! Haven't worked on my painting since before Thanksgiving and I feel frustrated! Just so much to do and so little time.

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas full of love, peace, and joy!

Diana

K Taylor-Green
12-17-2007, 08:39 PM
New puppy pics!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2007/41107-6wks3-2.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2007/41107-6.5weeks.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2007/41107-6.5weeks16.jpg

And Ethan and Anna, my grandkids! They had a good time playing with the pups, today!

Snowbound
12-17-2007, 08:43 PM
Rain?

My shoulders are sore from digging heavy snow, total around a foot, some of it sleet. That wasn't the hard part though, because I did it in stages so it didn't build up: the hard part was everytime I'd get the drive cleared, along would come either the road plow or the sidewalk plow and shove a big pile of heavy street snow back up. The road plow would push it onto the sidewalk, the sidewalk plow would shove it into my driveway (our street is narrow right here, and we don't have a grass verge, so the sidewalk is right against the street). Ow. My snow storage area is nearly full already.

The good news is that it looks like we will have white holidays for sure this year. That's gotten to be kind of rare.

Cookie day last Saturday, annual tradition. A bunch of folks bring ingredients and recipes to a gathering (one of our friends has a huge kitchen with three ovens) and spend the day baking cookies. At the end of the day, everybody leaves with a variety of holiday cookies and wonderful feelings of sharing good times with good friends.

FYI: I wrote a letter to MarketPlace (public radio show from American Public Media, available also via podcast) about a piece they did a couple of weeks ago on how the economy is affecting the big art auctions. I pointed out that a small part of art transactions pass through those auctions, and the real story is how the economy is affecting working artists and the galleries that sell their work. They called today to ask if they could use the letter. Actually, they wanted me to read it for them, but I'd just come in from slogging snow, so declined reading due to malfunctioning brain in desparate need of coffee and calories (and body in need of hot shower). But gave them permission to use it. Not sure when they read letters from listeners*, or if it is to be part of a story. Or even if they'll use it for sure. Hope they do.

Dayle Ann

* just checked, they read listeners mail on Tuesdays.

Diana_pastels
12-17-2007, 10:53 PM
Dayle Ann, the cookie day sounds wonderful! What terrific fun that would be. I would love to have some snow, haven't seen any so far this season. We live out in the country so I don't have to worry about snow plows messing up my driveway.

K, the puppies are adorable! Would it be okay if I save the first pic for future painting?
Diana

K Taylor-Green
12-18-2007, 12:53 AM
Sure Diana, I don't mind! That one is a true definition of "snow nose"!

Deborah Secor
12-18-2007, 01:06 AM
A herd 'o puppies! How adorable! I would be soooooo tempted to keep one. Or three.

I remember winter rains in California, Diana. Those golden hillsides with moody gray skies looming... I grew up in the northern California Bay Area and later lived in the southern part. It still seems a bit like home to me, though I've lived here in New Mexico far more years.

Dayle Ann, how cool that they're going to use your letter! Will you share more of the content with us? I also chuckled when I read your snow woes--I certainly remember having similar problems living in the mountains, and once again I'm kind of relieved not to have to go through it, while at the same time missing the snow. We make our choices, I guess. Fact is, neither my husband nor I could do that kind of shoveling right now, so we'll just be content to miss it. My shoulder is incrementally improving at a slow snail moving through mud pace, but shoveling is a definite no.

Deborah

Snowbound
12-18-2007, 11:13 AM
Deborah, I actually LIKE shoveling snow! I never minded it when I lived in the mountains, or in the rural townships here in VT. Living in a village is a whole different thing, though, especially this one, since they have NO PLAN for dealing with it. I have been trying for years to convince them that it made no sense to plow the walk on this side of the street because there is no place to put the snow, and most people walk on the other side anyway because it is safer. Finally-- yesterday they left it. It made things so much easier! My soreness is due to having had to clear out the compacted street snow so many times the day before! If I end up with rotator cuff injury as a result, the bill goes to the town!

I am trying to figure out a way I can move back out to the country where I am meant to be. It's become a mantra for me. Much as I enjoy most things about this village, the things I don't have a significant impact on my life.

Kathryn, you and I must have posted around the same time, because I missed the pics of those puppies and kids! So sweet, and that darling snow nose! I sure do miss having a dog, but going to hold off for the time being. Your pics (and others) help by giving me a dog fix.

I don't have a copy of the letter I sent Marketplace as I did it on the show's website (the way most programs are taking email these days). And I'm kicking myself for not going ahead and reading it for them-- wasn't thinking clearly. It should be on today's show if they use it. Locally, it comes on at 6:30 pm EST, though I imagine that varies. Here is the link to the website-- you can listen to it online if your local station doesn't carry it.
http://marketplace.publicradio.org/
Then click on "Marketplace" at the top.

I have to admit I am intersested to see if there is a response to it.

Yesterday's show is up on the website now. If nothing else, listen to Sandra Singh Low's piece about the Giant Bra. This woman has a stranger sense of humor than I do!

Dayle Ann

LOL-- hope they are just using the part where I talk about artists and galleries, and not the part where I get cranky and tell them that the show is getting further and further away from what it was when it started-- down-to-earth real-life impacts of economics on ordinary lives.

meowmeow
12-18-2007, 02:45 PM
That is wonderful about your letter, Dayle Ann. Good for you! And gee...I'm glad you enjoy shoveling...so when are you coming to Maine? :D We got about 10" of ice encrusted snow. It is pretty but a bit treacherous. I don't remember a December like this.

How cute are those pups Kate! My goodness. Each litter you show is cuter than the last.

Our granddaughter is still progressing...gaining bits of weight. She is up to 880 grams...that is about 1 lb. 15 oz. or so....although my son keeps telling me to forget the pounds and just go by the more precise grams. This old brain has trouble relating to the grams though! :D She is still on the vent which is a bit of a concern but he talked to the doctor who said Sydney's numbers are not really bad and they are not terribly concerned. They will try again to wean her off in a couple of weeks or so. Whew! This all requires way too much patience..I don't come by patience very easily! Oh well.

I actually have gotten my new studio space pretty well set up and actually did a painting...I will try to scan it in later and post it. It has been so long since I posted a painting here! But it felt good to be doing it.

I hope everyone enjoys the week and stays warm!

Sandy

Snowbound
12-18-2007, 08:15 PM
Sandy, if I could live in the country, I'd be happy to move to Maine-- especially if I can snowshoe out my door! (Being fairly close to coast or a huge lake wouldn't hurt, either, as I also am passionate about sea kayaking.)

I'm glad to hear your granddaughter is still improving. How would you have patience in a situation like that? It's a bit different from waiting out the weeks when they are still safely in the womb! I've got the blog bookmarked so I can check in from time to time.

Don't forget to post a pic of your new studio when you post your painting!

Well, Marketplace didn't read my letter tonight. I'm hoping what they are doing is planning a story, which would be even better. But journalism is always in a state of flux, so it might just have been dropped. Oh, well.

Making chicken soup tonight. Just seemed like a chicken soup night.

Dayle Ann