PDA

View Full Version : The Oil Gusher Dec. 17 - Dec. 23

Pat Isaac
12-17-2007, 08:14 AM
Good morning everyone,

It does seem as if we keep having storms.A big Nor'easter yesterday which turned to rain after 6 inches of snow. this was on top of a foot a few days before. Anyway it is now sunny and a huge block of ice out there. We did manage to clear most of our area in the rain. Moving water soaked snow is no fun. Lots of stuff to do today.
So come in and share your joys, concerns...or just the day to day routine and lets get aquainted.

Have a great day:) :) :)

Pat

LJW
12-17-2007, 09:40 AM
Shovelling heavy wet snow is no fun. It's stopped snowing here, too, and we were lucky it stayed mainly as snow. The sun is out and everything looks Christmas card pretty. Jane

eyepaint
12-17-2007, 12:46 PM
Our snow melted, our promised new snow hasn't arrived, so it's the typical dull wet days leading up to Xmas here. Now how to avoid the roads clogged with holiday shoppers...?

Pat Isaac
12-17-2007, 02:23 PM
Let me know when you figure that out...:lol:

Pat

wabbitt
12-19-2007, 12:10 PM
Hi all. Hopefully things are slowing down for me now. I know Christmas is crazy busy but I haven't even been shopping and my pockets are empty anyway because the car broke down last week. Fortunately, there's a mechanic across the street from work whom I've been using for oil changes and maintenance stuff. I was procrastinating on my wish list of art supplies but it may now have to wait until I can justify the expense as next semester's art supplies. After doing my final self-portrait in OPs, I am seriously considering getting a set of Holbeins. I want to do more of next semester's work in OPs.

I thought I was done with the semester after last Thursday but we had to go back yesterday for our final critique. If there were ever a day to skip class, last night would have been it. It was pouring rain but we had to bring our final drawing back.

Our company Christmas pot luck is in a few hours, but I had to bake Monday night because of last night's final. I made carrot cake for the pot luck and banana bread for me, but Mom's already packed everything up to give away to doctors, neighbors, etc. At least I got my end piece when it came out of the oven...I love a crunchy top and warm middle.

LJW
12-19-2007, 12:23 PM
It's hard to keep up with which week is which with time flying by.

Julie, sorry to hear about your car, and that your banana bread got redirected by your Mom. I'm really happy that I got the full set of Holbeins. It's expensive, but worth it.

It looks like we may get rain on Sat. which will spoil the Christmas card look and then freeze and make everything slippery. Hope it doesn't happen.

Fortunately, we have limited our Christmas shopping by agreement with relatives, so we don't have to fight the Christmas crowds. The holiday season is much nicer when it isn't so frantic. Jane

AnnieA
12-19-2007, 01:06 PM
I mistakenly posted to last week's thread earlier this morning :o, so I'm reposting what I wrote here:

Pat: I'm very glad to hear that you're feeling better.

I hope the ice storms are over for the NE people, but I regrettably have to report that we're having a new fierce storm move through here today in the NW - high winds and lots of rain on the way again - so another one's coming your way.

Julie: Congrats on getting that portfolio done! I think Wendy frequently uses watercolor paper with a sanded primer - since a similar approach seems to be working well for you, maybe I'll have to try it myself. It's great that you've found a support you really like - the support can make such a difference. I'm happy to hear that your friend like the portrait you did. I'll be looking forward to your post of your self-portrait.

Bars: Let us know if your favorite Santa does find you and brings you your oil pencils for Christmas.

Lara: How sad about that tree, but glad to hear that there wasn't any damage. Hope you are OK and that the storm has now abated. I hope you'll try a piece showing the snow/ice - sounds interesting and it can indeed be very beautiful, especially at night.

I visited the endodontist yesterday to have a root canal repaired that was never done properly in the first place. I'm not very good on dentist's visits - I get very anxious, but I meditated in the chair and that helped. Whew - the experience wiped me out and I fell asleep for several hours not long after I arrived home. This endodontist was excellent and I think he did a very good job, so I'm relieved to have that over. I'm still feeling exhausted though, and probably out of commission for a few days, so I guess I'll be sending a copy of my Palace of Fine Arts color study as the present rather than the actual finished painting, as I doubt I'll be able to even finish it before Christmas. :sigh: Oh well. It's the thought that counts, right?

I hope everyone is enjoying this holiday season! A belated Hanukkah wish to those who celebrate it. And best wishes at Eid al-Adha tomorrow for those who celebrate that holiday. It's so hard to believe that Christmas is less than a week away. Where did this year go???

Julie: Too bad about all your baking efforts getting redirected, but it does sound like you got the reward of the best piece of that carrot cake. How did your critique go? I hope the car repairs aren't too expensive. Are you planning to look for a full set of Holbeins? I wonder if any supplier still has them available...

Jane: It sounds like you're taking a wise approach to the holidays, and avoiding the stressful part. Good for you!

LJW
12-19-2007, 01:13 PM
Annie, sorry to hear about the tooth problem. It's probably a good idea to rest. Your painting of the Palace of Fine Arts is beautiful as is - I'm sure the recipient will love it. Everyone who hasn't seen it should look at this weeks Sketch Thread. It's so well done - not a sketch at all really. Jane

Pat Isaac
12-19-2007, 02:17 PM
Now that I'm over here, forget what I said about posting, Annie. I see you already did it. I should have looked here first. Take it easy and feel better soon. Root canals scare me to death....:eek: Your painting will be loved, as it is a beautiful piece.

Sorry about your car, Julie. It's a bummer when cars don't work. You can't go wrong getting the Holbeins...and I'm happy to hear that you'll be using them a lot more.

The doctor gave me a thumbs up today so all is well. However, my second computer (the one my husband uses) went on the fritz. Nothing happens when I turn it on and I've checked everything. After the holidays we'll deal with it. It may be dead, though it isn't that old.

Maybe more snow here tomorrow. :( I'll take the rain, Jane.

Pat

wabbitt
12-19-2007, 02:34 PM
Jane, "redirected" is a great word :) I saw the other thread this morning and my first reaction for this tread jumping from 3 replies to 16 was "Whoa, what happened? What'd I miss?"

Annie - sorry to hear about your tooth. Hopefully, like my car problem it's behind us now.

As for the Holbeins, I'm not looking at the full set. I need to be portable so I can get what I need to class and back. Internet is the only way I'll be able to get them, bummer DickBlick doesn't stock lots of stuff in their "local" store, especially from the pastels department.

I had a goal (as opposed to a resolution) at the beginning of 2007 that I was going use up as much of my art supplies as I could in the name of "mileage" of course, but for a more practical reason--I'm running out of room! I think I did well there, my student OP's are half-sticks now and I even managed to finish off a few tubes of paint and prep stuff. Even my soft pastels are no longer prestine. I've still got alot more paper and pads to use up but I'm happy that I made a dent in the old stuff. Unfortunately, because of stuff I needed to have for classes and "just because" the overall pile of art supplies has still managed to grow from the beginning of the year.

LJW
12-19-2007, 07:10 PM
Pat, glad to hear the doctor gave the all clear sign. Sorry about the computer - maybe it's the power supply. I'll take your snow and you can have our rain.

Julie, art supplies are hard to dispose of. I have some watercolours that are at least ten years old. Some of the tubes are fine, but others are seized up or the colour has changed drastically - I need to go through them. I keep hearing of new things that I'd like to try, like the Inktense pencils that people use for WDE sketches.

Jane

Pat Isaac
12-19-2007, 07:15 PM
It's a deal, Jane, though it is raining here now, very lightly and it may freeze. Not good.
I know how that is with the art supplies, lots of things I'd like to try...but I know I will never get to them all. When I moved my studio I got rid of a lot of things, like hardened up tubes of watercolor and oil paint. Moving does help you throw away things.

Pat

AnnieA
12-20-2007, 10:27 AM
Thanks, everyone, for the good wishes. :) I'm sleeping a lot which is probably good for me.

As for extra unused art supplies, there are non-profit organizations I've read about that take in partially-used art supply donations and then offer them to disadvantaged people such as foster kids and homeless people. Might be something to think about for the stuff you don't think you'll use...

Jane: I appreciate your "redirection" of posters here to my Palace of Fine Arts piece in the Sketch Thread. It was helpful to get all the input and it was kind of you to mention it here.

Pat: I hope you get your computer up and running soon.

Pat Isaac
12-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Glad to hear you are resting and taking it easy, Annie.

Well, our rain has now turned into a prediction of 6" of snow. There is about 4 on the ground now. It does look pretty stuck to all the trees....BUT, I will be shoveling soon.

The computer will have to wait until I can get it to the apple store. Next year maybe. My son-in-law said he would look at it when he comes here on Sunday. I know it is some kind of power issue. What I don't know.

Pat

UpsideDownSarah
12-20-2007, 01:40 PM
Hi, everyone. I'm popping my head in to say "hi" because I'm starting to get into oil pastels. I am getting some Shiva Paintstiks for Christmas. I think those are not actually oil pastels. I am thinking also about getting some Sennelier oil pastels. Usually I hang out in Sci Fi/Fantasy (I'm a guide there). Can anyone point me to a source of info online about oil pastels and about paint sticks? I didn't see a library here which usually is the first stop when looking at a forum for a medium I have not tried before.

Pat Isaac
12-20-2007, 01:49 PM
Welcome, Sarah...:wave: Paintsicks are actually oil paint in stick form, but can be used in conjunction with OPs as long as they are put down first. There is a library with this forum and here is the link.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=394

There is also a very good thread at the top of this forum on getting started in oil pastels - tools and materials.

Hope to see some of your posts soon. Be careful OPs are addictive.....

Pat

LJW
12-20-2007, 02:31 PM
Hi, Sarah and welcome to the OPs forum. Pat's pointed you to our Library subforum, where there's archived threads of interest. I just wanted to add that I use both Shiva oil sticks and OPs, but I use them separately, not mixed in the same painting. Since OPs never dry completely, they shouldn't be mixed together with other media. But you can apply OPs on top of other media, such as over watercolour, acrylics, or oils and oil sticks when they are surface dry. I recommend getting the Sennelier OPs to start, as they are the softest and easiest to blend. I have provided information on surfaces and blending tools in the 'Getting Started in OPs' thread at the top of the forum. We'll be watching for your paintings. Jane PS: Be on the lookout for past postings here by Eclectix, he does Sci-fi stuff in OPs really well.

Pat Isaac
12-20-2007, 04:35 PM
Actually, I have used paintsticks and Ops several times in the same painting. You just have to use the paintsticks first and let them dry, then use the OPs on top. It works with the same principle as an under painting of watercolor or acrylics.

Pat

LJW
12-20-2007, 04:51 PM
I agree, Pat. It's just that I remember someone in an earlier posting talking about using both together, not layering OPs over an already dry oilstick layer, so I wanted to emphasize that point. I also wanted to avoid the term 'mixed' as it implies using them together without concern for proper layering. Jane

Pat Isaac
12-20-2007, 05:09 PM
That's true, Jane. Don't mix them. The same with oil paint.

Pat

UpsideDownSarah
12-21-2007, 10:35 PM
Thanks, Pat and LJW. I appreciate the additional info. I am a big fan of Eclectix's work already as he (?) posts it in sci fi/fantasy every so often. He is one of my favorite artists here on WC. So Sennelier is the recommended brand? I'm hoping to get some for Christmas. I am excited about the Shivas to use on fabric for some other things I want to make. I understand that when heat set they are permanent on fabric, and I want to use them on some clothing and to decorate fabric to make purses with. Another thing I hope to learn soon is how to use a sewing machine I'm about to be blessed with! So thank you for welcoming me to the forum, and I appreciate the link to the library.

Pat Isaac
12-22-2007, 10:16 AM
Senneliers are wonderful and Holbein offers some nice hues to complement the Senns. I started by buying some individual sticks of the Holbeins to go with my Senns. I'd be interested to hear how you make out with the Shivas on fabric. I used to block print on fabric with oil based inks and that worked quite well.

Pat

starblue
12-22-2007, 08:31 PM
I will drop in here just long enough to wish everyone on the OP forum a Merry Christmas. I'll catch you all after the New Year's.

LJW
12-22-2007, 11:11 PM
Merry Christmas, Bob. And Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays to all. Jane

UpsideDownSarah
12-22-2007, 11:40 PM
Pat, thanks for the info. I started playing with some cheapo OPs I had randomly in my art supplies (plus some metallic cheapo ones I found at Hobby Lobby). I know they are not like the real artist quality ones. I will try to remember to let you know how the Shivas work on the fabric. I guess they are often used with rubbing plates. There is a book about it that I hope to get soon.

Pat Isaac
12-23-2007, 10:09 AM
The same to you, Bob. and have a wonderful week.

Pat

wabbitt
12-23-2007, 01:45 PM
Well, I was going to wait until the Monday's Gusher before wishing everyone a Merry Christmas but it turns out I'll be away from the internet starting this evening. I'll be hacking away at Mom's garden tomorrow, trying to keep it from growing out of control again. Christmas I'll be the family taxi driver as we go around and visit and I'll be home on the 26th. Meanwhile until I leave, I am torturing myself with (a very old copy of) Photoshop and my wacom tablet. I've had both for over 7 years and I've never been able to do anything with it. No progress today either.

So have a great time, everyone :wave: Stay safe and warm.

:music: Merry Christmas :music:

Pat Isaac
12-23-2007, 01:52 PM
The same to you, Julie. Ah, gardening...none of that here now with the snow cover...
Merry Christmas....be safe.

Pat

LJW
12-23-2007, 02:58 PM
Julie, I had to laugh at the 'hacking away at the garden' comment. We've been hacking away at the snow on the roof and the garden is under 3 feet of the stuff. Wish I could join you in the garden - I'd be glad to help. Have a great Christmas. Jane

wildart129
12-23-2007, 03:44 PM
Hello fellow oil pastelist, hope everyone is having a delightful Christmas season so far. As far as the weather goes where I'm at we've had no snow, all rain, all we need is for the animals to line up two by two. I've been under the weather lately, first a bad cold, now I've got strep throut, and if you've ever had strep throut you know that its no fun. Finished the rest of my shopping today, everything is wrapped and under the tree.:)

~*Merry Christmas*~
Elizabeth

Pat Isaac
12-23-2007, 03:47 PM
Good for you, Elizabeth. I still have a little more to do. I'm sorry to hear that you have been ill and I know strep throat is no fun. Take care and enjoy the season.

Pat

LJW
12-23-2007, 04:14 PM
Yes, take care of yourself, Elizabeth, and have a Merry Christmas. Jane