PDA

View Full Version : Shading using acrylics

ArlettaT
06-14-2002, 03:44 PM
Hi Everyone,

Some silly questions regarding acrylics. I began Tole painting as a hobby. I am finding that canvas and mural painting are completely different (yet somehow the same) from Tole painting. My dilema is how to shade and highlight. In tole painting I would "float" the shading and highlights on by dipping my brush in water and then side loading the paint on, stroke the brush back and forth to move the paint across the brush and then paint the shadow area or highlight area. This method obviously doesn't work for larger areas. What is the best method to get shaded areas without a hard line? I've read that you block base color, lay in the shaded area with the darker color, wipe your brush, dip and water and then blend the paint out. Is that correct? I know about the wet on wet technique, but I want to understand this without using the wet on wet technique simply because many times I can't blend colors in that manner. Help!

See I said it was a silly question!

Thanks in advance for help.

Arletta

artchic
06-14-2002, 07:48 PM
Arletta,
I am a decorative painter but I also paint on canvas with acrylics...to shade with acrylics on canvas you can use a belnding medium or an extender so that the paint stays wet enough to blend it together...however, you must use tube acrylics on canvas..the bottles won't do...also since acrylics dry so fast you really have to blend on your palette and them apply to the canvas.......whereas in tole painting, you float your colr..on canvas you can glaze your shades by thinning the paint with waterbut not as thin as you would when working decoratively

From the Shore,
Carole

TheLymner
06-15-2002, 12:24 AM
artchic,
I can't help much with the floating thing, don't really know what that is, and I do not use retarder or flow medium. As I have stated elsewhere, in painting portraits i actually speed the drying process by using a small fan or hair drier. When I place shadows on my portraits I paint straight from the tube a small area of the shadow and pull it down (or up) moving it toward its edge with my finger or a large stumple. I force it to dry before applying more and spreading it further toward its natural edge. Don't know if this is what you were looking for, but there it is.

Danny E Haislet
TheLymner

Linarty
06-15-2002, 06:02 AM
I consider myself extremely a student, but I have been experimenting with several techniques for blending. The first I think is commonly recomended, which is using glazes to gradually blend, which I like because it gives an acrylic painting more of the depth of an oil. The 2nd is attempting to mix the degress of value on the pallette, which requires a level of mixing technique that to me is incredible.....still I try from time to time.

artchic
06-15-2002, 09:21 AM
Hi Lymner,

I just finished amural and I did blend some of the edges with my finger....but most of the time I 'float' or 'glaze my shadows in....floating is a decorative painting technique whereas you dip your brush in water or blending gel, then dip just one side into your shading color blend it well on the brush and them apply to your piece placing the dark side of the brush where you want the shadow..this works great on wood, metal or any smooth surface,,however, for canvas i blend as you do..straight from the tube or on tha palette and them apply.

From the Shore,
Carole

ArlettaT
06-15-2002, 10:34 AM
THANK YOU, THANK YOU , THANK YOU and THANK YOU!!!!

Carole you hit the nail on the head, tole painting is quite different from canvas and mural painting. I feel like I'm learning all over again. Sheesh, just when you think you've got it...you realize it's all wrong.

I mentioned the word "floating" once to an artist and she looked at me as if I had 2 heads, which was the first clue that tole painting is different technique then canvas painting. I just did a garden theme for in a girls bedroom and I made it through, but I realized I'll need to make plenty of adjustments. I felt as though the walls ate-up the paint. I started out using bottle craft paint and quickly switched to tubes in the middle. It was as if the paint dries instantly! Well, here's some pics of some of my work.

By the way, this was my first wall painting so be gentle!

Thank you again,
Arletta

baba
06-15-2002, 10:34 AM
I use glazes (paint + water) and if this isn't enough you can try a fine-grained natural sponge to blend the edge - just dab at it immediatly after laying on the glaze.

ArlettaT
06-15-2002, 10:36 AM
Another pic

ArlettaT
06-15-2002, 10:37 AM
Last pic

artchic
06-16-2002, 09:53 AM
Arletta,
The mural is BEAUTIFUL!:clap: :clap:
I also painted my daughters room, but I didn't make the flowers ralistic.....I even let my daughter paint one herself!
I am currently working on a mural on a kitchen wall.....The wall was alredy painted so it didn't eat up the paint..my problem was covering the finger marks and cleaning up the edges..so I tried painting over them in white but I think I'm going to use 'KILZ" and them use the clients paint to clean it up..thank goodness they ahd extra for touch up!

From the Shore,
Carole

PS..ther is a mural painter on these boards..her name is Ruth..she is awesome..take a look at ther work

timelady
06-17-2002, 08:06 AM
Love the tree! How cool. :)

Since I starting with oils I found blending and glazing really difficult with acrylics at first. I found glazing medium (in tubes) from Daler Rowney and felt that worked very well mixed with a bit of the shade colour. I then use my palms or a ran to blend edges or wipe away so there's only a bit of shade left. For deep changes in shade I have to use several layers of this method - one layer doesn't do it and can look quite poorly done. I need to shade a few times with progressively darker mixes of glaze to get a nice deep tone.

Tina.

artchic
06-18-2002, 10:41 PM
Hi Arletta,
Where in NJ do you live? I'm down the shore in Brick

From the Shore, Carole

ArlettaT
06-19-2002, 08:18 AM
Hi Carole,

I'm not too far from you. I'm in central New Jersey in a town called Hillsborough. We're on route 206 in between Bridgewater and Princeton. Do you live at the shore all year or just during the summer? Our friends Mom lives in Red Bank.

Regards,
Arletta

orchidlover6
06-20-2002, 04:58 PM
you did a really good job on your daughter's room. hope she liked it. great flowers and the bucket is right on.

RobinZ
06-21-2002, 07:43 PM
I both blend on my stay-wet palette and glaze. I like your murals.

artchic
06-24-2002, 11:54 PM
Hi Arletta,
We are prmanent residents here..there are alot of summer people here though..but i think there is a big movement toward permanent living..
From the Shore,
Carole

ArlettaT
06-25-2002, 11:19 AM
Hi Carole,

Yes, there is a 'movement' coming your way regarding people living year round at the shore. I'm not a beach person so central NJ works fine. :p Just wish they would do something about our insane property taxes.

Going back to the shading for a moment (sorry if I'm beating a dead horse). My question isn't regarding what to mix the paint with, it's how do I apply it. Lets say I want to paint a....tulip for arguments sake. I would base it in using my mid-value color. Then I would load up my brush with the shading color and I would place the paint in the area to be shaded (what brush do most people use, flat, filbert?). Then I've read that you would wipe off the brush, pick up some water and "blend it out". Is this correct? I know this is probably such a basic technique but this is new to me. Also, is highlighting done in the same technique or is it mostly drybrushing? I know, I know...take a basic acrylic class. I'd like to and I will this fall, I just feel like I'm re-learning everything all over again...help!

Take care,
Arletta

artchic
06-27-2002, 08:30 AM
Hi Arletta,
What i usaually do is go dark to light on a canvas..like oil painting
....I blend my values on my palette and then apply to canvas....highlights i do the same....just experiment..it will come....just keep telling yourself ...dark to light!..I know how you feel...I was doing the opposite...I was still trying to blend when Tole painting like I do on canvas..then i took a class in Tole painting and found the transition very difficult..

Let me know how you make out:cat: :cat:

From the Shore,
Carole