PDA

View Full Version : "Normal" Fixative seems to Work on Oilpastels.

marsias
12-17-2007, 02:01 AM
Hello.

I had try to test a Fixitave from Windsor and Newton which is for Pastell, calk, charcoal on Oilpastels(sennelier).

Seems to Work : Colors getting not darken or smuggled and the Painting is very stable. After applying the fixative is impossible to blend or to smuggler the colors with a "strong" Hand.

As i read here in Thread, Oilpastels need a special fixitave:confused::confused: but this not true.

Comments??

ciao nico.

Pat Isaac
12-17-2007, 08:03 AM
Actually, Marsias oil pastels do not need any fix. They never dry so adding something on top of them is questionable. I frame under glass either with a mat or with spacers to protect them.

Pat

marsias
12-17-2007, 08:36 AM
Hello Pat.

But with this fixative you dont need to frame the painting under glass and as i see the painting is very good protect

nico

Pat Isaac
12-17-2007, 08:54 AM
Does it say it is for oil pastels? If it doesn't I'd be wary about using it.

Pat

LJW
12-17-2007, 09:59 AM
Marsias, I think the issue here would be not what it does in the short run (ie. prevents smudging), but what effect it might have in the long run. Is it archival for OPs? Because OPs never completely dry, as Pat mentioned, they aren't like other media. The sprays not designed to take this into account might cause deterioration in the long run. If you aren't worried about that, eg., if you are just practicing, then it proabaly doesn't matter. But if you are going to sell your paintings, it does matter. Hope this helps. Jane

marsias
12-17-2007, 11:09 AM
Hello.

As i read is nothing there about oil.

"A colourless finish for use on Charcoal,pencil,pastel, and Chalk drawings" is the description.

Jane, never mine i had spray it over a test drawing.

How long is a long run? 2 days,2years,10 years?

cia nico

LJW
12-17-2007, 11:24 AM
Not in days, I think, but over a year or two is my guess. Unfortunately, there is no way to know. That's why it is safer to use a product specifically designed by the manufacturer for OPs. Jane

Pat Isaac
12-17-2007, 02:27 PM
I agree with Jane about the years. I'm glad that you only tried it on a practice piece.

Pat

Peiwend
12-17-2007, 02:53 PM
For long lasting paintings and conservation, fat over lean is the rule. This is not an arbitrary rule and simply means that a slow drying medium goes over a fast drying medium. By using fixative you are creating a sandwich of dry (support) - wet (oil pastel) - dry (fixative). The slightest scratch will destroy the integrity of the work.

________________________Wendell