PDA

View Full Version : Missy In The Field

allanom
12-17-2007, 02:19 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-17-2007/4031_missyField12.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Missy In The Field
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24 inches x 48 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is the first in a new series I'm calling 'My Landscapes'. The dog is my Missy; the locale is the field on my family property near Bancroft, Ontario.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Comments?

MRSBB
12-17-2007, 03:04 AM
Hi Allanom.....I like your landscape, lots of depth there. What kind of dog is Missy? The landscape is quite vast,Think I might add a building for more interest or maybe a covey of quail. Keep having fun..........Lenore

laudesan
12-17-2007, 05:36 AM
This painting screams Canada. I love the vastness of it.

I really like the triangles.

Missy looks like a cattle dog,? she is busy looking at something. I like that.

I am wondering if the greens in the foreground are a little too dark?

JJ

thomas w
12-17-2007, 08:57 AM
I really like how you captured a foreground, middleground, and background. Each has its degree of detail. Nothing is quite still and everything seems to have life. The composition also works for me, I like the position of the dog against the vast field.
Thomas W

billmahler
12-17-2007, 10:10 AM
Allan
Good idea for a series and this is a good beginning. I like the restrained colors and feeling of space and briskness that I remember from my visits to that area.
I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Corby
12-17-2007, 10:47 AM
A beautiful painting Allanom. It is a nice balance of color and texture. The sliver of hill in the far distance is perfect and Missy is the exclamation point!

sks
12-17-2007, 10:50 AM
Hi Allan,
Just saw this on the DASNET and gave you a few stars...:clap: :clap:
Like I said there...... this sure beats looking at snow banks out my front window :eek:
Cheers
Sharon

ejtupi
12-17-2007, 11:40 PM
Allan, you forced me to go look up Bancroft. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised to see that it was chosen "Most Talented Town in Ontario".

Fantastic feel in this landscape. Beautiful, and I'm glad you've given it the substantial scale that it deserves.

I guess you were sort of right about people responding to landscapes. Especially when they're painted this well.

allanom
12-18-2007, 01:02 AM
Lenore: I appreciate the feedback. Missy is a "mixed breed" doggie, part border collie and part terrier (of some description). I got her from an animal shelter near Bancroft a bit more than 7 years ago. She had been abandoned with her 3 puppies on a sideroad and had 80 porcupine quills in her neck and face when found (obviously defending her brood). Homes were found for the 3 pups and I took Missy. She's a loving thing: everyone who meets her wants to take her home!

JJ: Glad you see Canada in this. See note above about Missy. I take your point on the dark foreground, but it seems to work, especially when seeing it in person.

Hey Thomas: I really appreciate your wonderful parsing of the dynamics of the piece. Thanks!

Bill: Glad you appreciate this beginning. Hopefully I won't disappoint....:O)

C.J.: "Missy is the exclamation point!" Yah!! I was thinking just that as I painted it!

Hey Sharon: Now I know who you are, neighbour! I appreciate both posts of support.

ej (or should I call you SENIOR FRISKY!!): Hey, yeah, Bancroft was voted the "Most Talented Town in Ontario" this past summer -- good find! You are most kind to complement this, my first of the series. And they will all be to this relatively large scale.

laudesan
12-18-2007, 01:14 AM
JJ: Glad you see Canada in this. See note above about Missy. I take your point on the dark foreground, but it seems to work, especially when seeing it in person.. I love Canada. I have been there twice now. 2004 for a month and 2006 for 6 weeks.. I stayed in Ontario on both ocassions, as I have friends in Chatham, Guelph, and Island Grove.

I was thinking after I posted that your painting probably did look a little different irl..:)

JJ

MRSBB
12-18-2007, 02:57 AM
Allanom...I thought that was part blue heeler. Nice painting. My Mom was from a little town called Jockville. Don't even think it is a town anymore, by Ottawa. It is beautiful country up there...........Lenore

Dana Design
12-18-2007, 09:54 AM
ah, serene and quiet...beautiful color combos...everything works here.

Thanks for the little vacation. What a pleasure.

allanom
12-18-2007, 08:04 PM
JJ: Yeah, the Great White North is a very cool place -- especially in winter!!

Lenore: Thanks! I looked at a map of the Ottawa area and saw the Jock River, and Jockvale Road. Probably Jockville has been swallowed up by the city.

Dana: I appreciate your lovely feedback. Glad the piece gave you some time off!

laudesan
12-18-2007, 08:20 PM
Sure is I spent the end of feb and all of March there last year. QC had a huge storm and there were HUGE snow banks everywhere. I was in my element..:D

JJ

kathrynlovespets
12-18-2007, 11:32 PM
i feel like missy's back is a little too straight...i wish there were less of a straight body look to it
very pretty field

allanom
12-19-2007, 08:42 AM
Kathrynknowsdogs: "i feel like missy's back is a little too straight..."

Yes, you're right. I'll make that change. Thanks!

Allan